Mark 2b Footswitch-non mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Mk2b pops quite a bit when I change channels. I got it used with a non-mesa foot switch, could this be making matter worse? I thought the Popping was one of the things they fixed with the Mk2b?

On another note:

I just recapped my Mk2b 60watt, eq no reverb. The 1st time I've ever done it myself, (no electrocution). What a difference! The fuzzy distortion is gone from the lead channel.

Now I'm building a head cab and am going to use is with a 2 x 12 open back cab w/ Jenson MODs.

Mark IIs well IIA, IIB (I think, someone may have to correct me) are running off an analog relay when switchig between channels.

There will be somewhat some a "pop" switching between channels that you cannot avoid it. But mine is a light pop that's not annoying.

Possible symptoms of a loud pop is the footswitch is dirty and needs to be replaced.
http://www.tubeampparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CSFS1&Category_Code=FS&Product_Count=9

You said the footswitch you are currently using is a non-MESA. The standard MESA channel footswitch for a Mark II had an led with a resistor in series to light up the led. Not sure of the value of this resistor. If you are adventurous, you could build one with a Bud chassis box, the Carling switch [above] and resistor (150k ohms[?]) and an input jack.

I built my own footswitch box from the Mesa schematic. (The Mesa schematic says that the resistor in series with the LED is 680 ohms). It doesn’t matter what kind of footswitch you have, the IIb will pop. I asked Mike B about this, he said that's one of the "features" of that design :). It cannot be eliminated with out drastic rewiring, & Mesa doesn't do it. If you don't play while you are switching channels, the popping is minimized.

Latest posts

Back