Mark 11 C+ combo reverb nothing to brag about ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krsmusic

Reaction score
Are folks happy with the reverb on these units ?

My C+ combo was moded from a C and I did the reverb update which was to attach the reverb ground wire as directed and check the basics on the reverb can.
I have heard reverbs on $100 amps that sound better.
Is there an upgrade I can just put in the cabinet and plug in ?

May just be a defective tank, you can order a replacement from Accutronics for about 20-30 dollars. I believe there is one on eBay at the moment. I love the sound of my reverb in my C+ combo.

Hi,

I have a IIC+ that was an upgrade to a IIC. I didn't have it long before I got it upgraded, but when it was a IIC, I was never happy with the reverb. It was very very weak with no sustain. Being my first Mark, though, I just assumed that that's how the reverb was...crappy.

When I called up Mesa to send it in for the upgrade, I was told to include in my reverb tank along with the amp so that MikeB could check it out. I was told that on these older Boogie amps, some of the foam lining in the reverb tank starts to disintegrate and clogs up the springs. Well, when they finally got around to looking at it, they said that, yes, my tank was shot. They installed a new one. It wasn't very expensive at all (and, looking at the parts, it looked really easy to do...possibly even just "unplug" then "plug"). Now my reverb is much much better. It's quite usuable.

That being said, the reverb on the IIC+ is not nearly as good as the reverb on my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI). Nope. I love the reverb on the DRRI. Decent tone, nice long decay, good sproing. Yum. The difference could be in the drive/recovery circuitry in the amp itself, or it could be the reverb tank. The DRRI (being a longer chassis) has room for a long-spring reverb tank. The boogie (being a shorter chassis) only has room for a short tank.

If you do try a new tank from Accutronics (http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm), they've got a couple options. They've got short and long tanks, but you're stuck using one of the short tanks. They've also got 2 spring and 3 spring models. I'm not sure which one Mesa uses. I strongly recommend that you email Accutronics (or call Mesa) and ask then which one is a direct replacement for the tank your IIC(+) and then ask them if there is an improved sounding version. If Mesa uses a 2 spring, a 3 spring might be better sounding.

Certainly, no one buys a Mark series boogie for the reverb. Nope. It's not stellar. I do wish that I could have my DRRI reverb grafted onto my IIC(+). But, that won't happen. I guess that the world is full of compromises. It's a good think that the IIC(+) has other factors in its favor :)

Chip

Update
I believe my reverb is working as it should. There were no issues when I went through it some time ago. I forget if it's a 3 or 2 spring. Too me, it's usable and decent, just not anything to brag about.
Maybe "not lush" is a good description.

By the way, with C+ there is always some reverb even with the foot pedal is off which is Ok I suppose

I'll see what I can find out on upgrades.

Thanks

Thanks for the info George. I'm definitely intrigued by the long decay tank. I've put it on my list of potential mods. It's a fun list that now has 11 potential mods on it. Sweet.

If you ever put your long-decay tank in, be sure to let us (or me, at least) know how it goes. I'm super curious.

Chip

Just one more tidbit of trivia here: The reverb ft/sw on the Mk II's and III is not meant to turn the reverb on and off. Instead it is used for two (2) levels of reverb: ie. reverb/more reverb reverb/less reverb which ever way you want to look at it. It defaults to full gain when nothing is plugged into the switch jack. It actually switches a 15uf cathode cap in and out of the circuit on the reverb return stage which when in circuit boosts the gain of the reverb return stage.

Latest posts

Back