Marhall or Mesa stiletto ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Mesa dual 2 channel Rev F does the hard rock and metal now i just need a clean and rock amp (and yes I am thinking of using my Mark V but I want to put a stereo rig in the practice location)
So the stiletto ace or a good marshall for the second amp. I know that the mesa stiletto has all the external switching I would need so I could run both amps and I think all four channels with the GCX switcher and a voddo ground control. Don't know much about marshalls I just need a marshall ish tone not really looking for a specific marhsall tone tho

Hi, I've got a marshall plexi (a little modded) that I use with my mkIIB.
In my opinion there are 3 marshall amps that would suit your needs.
-plexi (1987-50W or 1959-100W)
It's rock 'n roll. Very open and direct, or smooth as you want.
You can use as it is, or with pedals. Today production have also the effect loop.
Simple circuit easy to modify as you want.
-jtm45
Similar to the plexi, but with a rectifier valve instead of the diode bridge. The circuit is taken from the fender bassman. Next to a plexi, it's more smooth, clean and soft.
I really like it in bluesy, slighty overdriven tones.
-JCM 800
It's the more aggressive. Generally used for hard rock/metal, but not only. Stevie Ray Vaughan used a couple of these machines in his multi amp rig.

They are single channel amps, so you can't switch between clean and overdrive tones.
For a multi channel marshall you have to go with DSL, TSL series or an 800 split, vintagemodern or something more recent.
For my taste, if I had to buy a multi channel amp, for the same price I would buy something else.

In a two amp set up I like the mesa for the lead tones and the marshall for the clean/overdrive. Another idea is to use the mesa as the dry channel (clean/overdrive) and the marshall as the wet channel, with effects.
Or maybe, you can run both two amps with the same tone, but equalized in different way. For example, I like the treble from the mesa and mid and bass from the marshall, for a smooth tone. For a more aggressive tone I do the opposite.

that's great info I'm thinking of trying a jcm first I'll for sure keep you posted tho

pay attention to the volume...they're huge and there's no master volume control.
Only the 800 has something called "master volume" but it's not a really master control as in the boogies, because it dramatically affects the amount of gain and the general response of the amp.

If you want a good all-around Marshall, look at anything from the DSL range. DSL5C or DSL40C if you want a combo, DSL100H or one of the older JCM2000 models if you want a head.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with any of the 2203/2204 heads (badged either JMP or JCM800) for classic Marshall. My main amp is a JMP 2204 from 1977. Perfect 1970's to 1980's hard rock sounds.

Old ones, no, but the newer models are footswitchable. The JVM is MIDI-programmable too.

olds marshall are single channel, there's nothing to switch ;)

I'll suggest the Marshall 2203 if you are looking at a Marshall and needing something to keep up with a Dual Rec in a stereo configuration. I used to run a similar set up, but found using a splitter cable into both amps worked and sounded better for what I was doing.

You can adjust a 2203 to go from clean to decent metal tones. It won't get you into the modern ultra grind levels of distortion, but will compete with the Dual rec and actually compliment the Rectifier quite well.

FYI, the Marshall 2203 is the single channel master volume amp head. It came in either the JMP or JCM series. Same amp, different chassis/head box. The JMP looks like the SLP at the Marshall site, but minus two inputs and instead of Volume 1 and Volume 2, you have Preamp and Master Volume other controls are the same. The JCM line is just different cosmetics for the same amp/layout/controls.

Be prepared for a touchy Master Volume pot on older amps. Marshall used to use pots with really poor traces and would go from barely audible to stadium loud within 0-1.5, then get even louder from there.... Newer Marshalls don't have this problem.

Latest posts

Back