many amps louder than my mark v?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackpiazza

Reaction score
Hi all,
Can you tell me, why it seems that many amps with lower watts (like vox ac30) are louder than my Mark V?

I use my Mark V head with 2x12" stiletto cabinet and I think its overall volume can't be compared with any other 90/100W amps.

In my gigs, I usually set the amp in this way:
- all channels to 90w
- Fat - Crunch - Mark IV modes.
- Clean Gain and volume up to 13:00 to balance it with the others 2 channels: gain at 13:00 and volume at 10:00/10:30
- master volume 12:00
- loop fx on

(hope this is clear, sorry for my poor english :D)

Actually i don't use the graphic EQ and i usually keep "mid" knobs more or less at 12:00...anyway i'm going to try what you suggest.
I'm hoping tubes are ok

I second apeman's suggestion. Check the lend level on your effects loop. You could also disable it as a quick test.

If I run mine at those levels it's not fun to be in the same room with it. That's LOUD.

Check your V7 inverter/driver tube. I had mine go and it reduced volume upwards of 80%.

The mark v combo has enough power to permanently damage your ear drums in record time.

I had my combo turned to about 10:00, 90 watts, fx hard bypassed, on ch 3 today.

I screamed as loud as I could and could hardly hear myself.

It was LOUD!!!! :wink:

my send level is in middle position. Even if I switch off "fx" everything remain the same...

maybe i have to check V7 tube...****! It brings me back to 2 years ago, when i had problems with my first head (mark V) and I had to replace it under warranty due (maybe) tubes issues..

I begin to think that mesa boogie should be more careful checking their tubes...don't you agree?

back to original thread-if you allow

Something is wrong

A Mark V is very loud.The only louder one I ever had was a Mark II Coliseum head

But cut through has not much to do with loudness

Roland

maybe often something goes wrong with the shipment...USA --> Italy it's a long trip indeed..

Does it maybe has anything to do with my cabinet? (Stiletto 2x12)

don't worry =) i use the right cable for the speaker

I don't have nothing to do but check the holy V7 valve...i'll let you know

Are you running 6L6 or EL34 ?
If EL34, check that the bias switch is on "EL34" position, otherwise your tube will run very cold and you have to turn the output knob very high to get the same amount of sound.
(accidentaly tested and approved yesterday :mrgreen: )

Simple answer.

Dont use the master volume. It should rip heads off n take out your knees

miqueas92 said:
I had my combo turned to about 10:00, 90 watts, fx hard bypassed, on ch 3 today.

I screamed as loud as I could and could hardly hear myself.

It was LOUD!!!! :wink:

Dude, that cracked me UP!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

There is one characteristic I discovered early with the MARK V amp. When you bypass the EQ the amp seems to be weak in output. Almost if at half power. Some how I believe you loose a gain stage in the preamp section when you do not use the EQ. Try turning it on and leave the all of the sliders in the center position (assuming you are bypassing the EQ). Even my Mark IV shares this similar characteristic but it is not as noticable as it is with the Mark V.

If this is not the case, and others do not notice a drop in power with the EQ switched out, then I have issues with my amp. That would not surprise me since I had to replace two preamp tubes already with the amp only a few months old.

APEMAN said:
jackpiazza said:
=> wait a few minutes on standby before you start to play.
=> don't place your head on top of your speaker cabinet - I know everyone does it (of course not the pros) and it looks cool but it costs you a few month of tube lifetime.....

May I ask why it'll cost a few month of tube lifetime for doing so?

jaynthia said:
APEMAN said:
jackpiazza said:
=> wait a few minutes on standby before you start to play.
=> don't place your head on top of your speaker cabinet - I know everyone does it (of course not the pros) and it looks cool but it costs you a few month of tube lifetime.....

May I ask why it'll cost a few month of tube lifetime for doing so?

Vibration, if you play cranked. I'm not endorsing this idea (and not denying it either), but the effect will be relatively minute in most cases compared to the effect of a combo's (cranked) speaker on its tubes, I believe. The risk from all that vibration is mostly tubes becoming microphonic, but more significant failure could be accelerated, too, for all I know. Most non-NOS tubes are so inconsistent it's hard to really know as they can fail at any time.

With my setup I'd have to build a shelf over the cab to facilitate the head, and I'd be scared all the time that the wall anchors were not adequate to hold such a heavy object 24/7. Mark V falling off the wall = my year is ruined ;)

Latest posts

Back