Making my Rectos clean channel sweeter...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
At the moment I have a full set of JJs (high gain) in my 2 channel Recto and I want to make my clean channel that little bit sweeter and cleaner. What tube would you guys recommened for this?! I presume it'll be the V1 positon tube that will have to be swapped?

I play a lot of hardcore/emo with my Recto so I can't have my 2nd channel affected too greatly by putting a full set of lower gain tubes in there! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

I don't think putting "lower gain" tubes will affect your 2nd channels ability for gain! There's more than enough gain on tap, without having "high gain" tubes employed! And it would definitely sweeten up your clean tone! I don't really by into a tubes ability for amount of gain, as I do it's ability to slightly alter the amp's frequency response and overall tone!

Hahaha I see where ya coming from! The only tubes I have experience with are Svetlanas and High gain JJ's so any recommendations on making my cleans sweeter and my distortion channel clearer/less muddy would be awesome. Thanks again.

Mess with the amp EQ - less gain, more volume...

What guitar do you play? Try switching to the neck pickup and mess with rolling back the volume...

When in doubt... I always get great and quick results with an EQ pedal in the loop... pick up a cheap Dano Fish and Chips.

What rectifier tubes are you running? If you want to clear up the distortion a little put in a set of GZ-34's they worked wonders for me.
As for your cleans, you could read some info on EuroTubes and ask them some questions for your desired tone.

The power tubes are probably running too cold to be able to cop a decent clean tone out of that amp. Ask Bob to set you up with some 6L6's that you can run on the EL34 setting to try and warm the amp up some. You could try running a Tung Sol in V1 or maybe a JJ ECC803 in V1. Don't forget what the amp was intended for; hard rock and metal. You may not be able to get it to where you want as far as clean goes.

JamesD said:
What rectifier tubes are you running? If you want to clear up the distortion a little put in a set of GZ-34's they worked wonders for me.
As for your cleans, you could read some info on EuroTubes and ask them some questions for your desired tone.

Yup, I'm running those too, great tubes!

woody777 said:
Mess with the amp EQ - less gain, more volume...

What guitar do you play? Try switching to the neck pickup and mess with rolling back the volume...

When in doubt... I always get great and quick results with an EQ pedal in the loop... pick up a cheap Dano Fish and Chips.

I play a stock Gibson SG Standard. The best cleans I've got are by running the orange channel in vintage mode (as opposed to clean mode), then almost maxing the channel volume and then using the gain control to bring it up to the desired volume. I then turn the presence way up too. The cleans are cleaner, sparkle more and sound way sweeter.

I have a 2 channel as well. I use JJ KT77's and the ECC83s and I can get a really good sparkling clean out of the clean channel. I turn up the prescence quite a bit, and take the bass down. I don't know my exact settings, sorry.

disassembled said:
The power tubes are probably running too cold to be able to cop a decent clean tone out of that amp. Ask Bob to set you up with some 6L6's that you can run on the EL34 setting to try and warm the amp up some. You could try running a Tung Sol in V1 or maybe a JJ ECC803 in V1. Don't forget what the amp was intended for; hard rock and metal. You may not be able to get it to where you want as far as clean goes.

Better yet, ask Bob about a set up with 6V6's. He claims this set up is the cleanest he's ever heard from a DR.

The SG and your approach to cleans does'nt appear to be helping matters! Try the Orange channel (1) set to Clean, not Variable High Gain. Clone Orange to Modern. Treble and Presence around 2:00 (o'clock), Mids at 9:00, Bass and Gain at 11:00! The only option for sweet cleans on the SG is switching to the middle position for clean parts, the SG would'nt be my 1st choice as a guitar for sweet cleans! Oh ya, experiment with the Rectifier choices (diodes or tubes), if you still have the 5U4G's, you need'nt heed the advise of the GZ34's! I like the tubes for clean tones at lower volumes, but if your pretty loud, you might prefer the more sterile diodes.

jbird said:
The SG and your approach to cleans does'nt appear to be helping matters! Try the Orange channel (1) set to Clean, not Variable High Gain. Clone Orange to Modern. Treble and Presence around 2:00 (o'clock), Mids at 9:00, Bass and Gain at 11:00! The only option for sweet cleans on the SG is switching to the middle position for clean parts, the SG would'nt be my 1st choice as a guitar for sweet cleans! Oh ya, experiment with the Rectifier choices (diodes or tubes), if you still have the 5U4G's, you need'nt heed the advise of the GZ34's! I like the tubes for clean tones at lower volumes, but if your pretty loud, you might prefer the more sterile diodes.

Thanks, I've not had chance to play around with channel cloning yet so I'll definately give this ago at next band practice! I only use the clean channel about 10% of the time at the moment for clean arpeggios etc, so it doesn't warrant me not having my SG (I love the tone I get from it for heavy riffing etc). As I mentioned before I use the amp for heavy **** which I prefer the GZ34's so I reckon I'll stick with them. But yeh as strange as it sounds, I've found my nicest cleans to be from the variable high gain mode with the volume maxed, gain real low and presence high. Definately looking forward to using the channel cloning and those settings though. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers! :)

Guitarzan said:
disassembled said:

Better yet, ask Bob about a set up with 6V6's. He claims this set up is the cleanest he's ever heard from a DR.

True dat sucka

If you want a metal amp buy a triple rec and add alittle clean boost in front of it, that will put some hair on your ***!!! Its absolutelty crushing, there is nothing that compare to it other than perhaps maybe a diezel which i havent tried out yet.

Back