Made my first Mark V vid..need to do another one.Cam mic sux

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106alcon

Reaction score
Oh and edit; I finally got the settings down for Mark I and it does sound sick with lots of gain. So thanks to the pix of the Mark I settings from the sticky. I will make a better one that is mic'd and better to the true tone as it has very little bass in the vid and the clean channel is a little two bright. Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zewtkOOYgGk

sean106alcon said:
Oh and edit; I finally got the settings down for Mark I and it does sound sick with lots of gain. So thanks to the pix of the Mark I settings from the sticky.

Grasshopper, the Mark I settings are as much about sheer volume as they are gain. I look forward to your next video. When i recorded a similar tone from my 1978 Mark I, I had to stand in the control booth, while the amp and cab were wailing in a closed door enviroment. It was a good bit louder, though. Good times, indeed. :D

nice. Ive been wanting to hear the V with some EL34's in it. Do you like it better?

What preamp tubes are you using again?

Great! I want to order a tube cocktail from dougstubes.com when my Mark V arrives to play around with it, just preamp tubes for now. Heres my question, If I order a different brand of 6L6s from doug, instead of the normal mesa power tubes, does maintenance free bias still apply? Can I just plug em in like normal and safely play, or do I need to get it bias'd somehow. I'm not sure what kind of power tubes id like, but maybe something along the lines of JJ's or Tung sols, Whatever makes the amp seem more warm and less harsh. I'm also thinking about buying fizzy lifters off ebay (heard about them on these forums) since they are a easier version of beam blockers. I was playing the other day thru my 4x12 cab with V30's and man, if I put my head down, the high freq's are unbearable!

RocknRory said:
Great! I want to order a tube cocktail from dougstubes.com when my Mark V arrives to play around with it, just preamp tubes for now. Heres my question, If I order a different brand of 6L6s from doug, instead of the normal mesa power tubes, does maintenance free bias still apply? Can I just plug em in like normal and safely play, or do I need to get it bias'd somehow. I'm not sure what kind of power tubes id like, but maybe something along the lines of JJ's or Tung sols, Whatever makes the amp seem more warm and less harsh. I'm also thinking about buying fizzy lifters off ebay (heard about them on these forums) since they are a easier version of beam blockers. I was playing the other day thru my 4x12 cab with V30's and man, if I put my head down, the high freq's are unbearable!

Thanks guys. I still think the tone is not so great and need make a mic'ed vid.

Yeah just follow Doug and he will tell you which ones are made for the Mesa fixed Bias on the Mark V and sounds best.

NR, yeah i like the EL 34's better. just a personal taste as I was used to them in my VH4. Seems a little less squashy and more articulate with the tung-sol's.

Preamp V1 was such a pain in the arse to switch IMO

I was poking around my Mark V combo and I was thinking about that V1 Tube. It LOOKS like a pain in the arse!!! :lol:

very quickly I tried to see if I could get hte cap that covers it off, and even that seems to be locked tight!
Is it one of those push down and turn kinda caps?

Also, Ive noticed that with the sliders in a deep V, playing on stage with stage volumes, really cuts me outta the mix(although it sounds SO good when played in tighter spaces like in practice), I am really thinking about the EL34's to boost that mid range magic....

NR2112 said:
I was poking around my Mark V combo and I was thinking about that V1 Tube. It LOOKS like a pain in the arse!!! :lol:

very quickly I tried to see if I could get hte cap that covers it off, and even that seems to be locked tight!
Is it one of those push down and turn kinda caps?

Also, Ive noticed that with the sliders in a deep V, playing on stage with stage volumes, really cuts me outta the mix(although it sounds SO good when played in tighter spaces like in practice), I am really thinking about the EL34's to boost that mid range magic....

Yeah you have to push it in and turn it till it locks. Same as removing V1 is turn it and it pops up. They way I got it done was take em all out and use a flash light and be real slow and careful for V1. The rest are not bad at all.

Latest posts

Back