M/B Studio Pre, Formula, Engl E530, Climax S3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaroslav

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am going to buy a preamp for my second rig. I have the opportunity to choose from the four ones mentioned in the subject. I play mostly metal, modern and sometimes even melodic, I usually play a DR with an LP Studio or Dean ZX European Custom with 12-13 size strings and tuned to D. Mostly I use distorted only sound with delay for the leads. Sometimes I also need some clean sound, which is not dull.

The power amp will be most probably M/B 20:20 (I used to have one very shortly - a great amp). One of the goals is portability/size. I have heard Studio Pre in a death metal band with Boss Delay pedal for leads in the loop - and it was very nice. I used to have and Engl Fireball - and I liked its sound as well (even the clean sound). How does Formula compare to Studio Pre? And to E530? Climax is something very rare, similar to CAE 3+ but made in Germany.

Any thoughts welcome:)

Well, I am a bit limited here, there is not much used gear I can select from. But since I had posted the last message, everything has changed:) For "versatility", I decided, that I need a combo. I bought a Subway Rocket, a great amp, but in future I will swap it for a Mark IV, Roadster or some another first class combo.

Latest posts

Back