Luv Scooped Mids for Rhythm Hatem for Lead

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkaczano

Reaction score
I like to scoop out my mids when I am playing rhythm. However if that rhythm has some lead in it, the sustain is not really there to give the lead any character. I often feel that I need more mids for any meaningful expression in that lead.

I am playing through a Mark V, 4x12 Roadking cabinet , and G-Force fX rack.

Any thoughts on how to rectify this with the equipment settings or playing style?

Thanks

Do you use the on board eq to scoop your mids? Maybe play with some settings and see if you can make it work out so you click off the eq during leads. I know it would be tough because you would lose your low/high boost as well. Or maybe just through an mxr eq in the loop with the mids boosted.

Instead of scooped mids, maybe try a slightly different approach: Flat mids for rhythm, boosted mids for leads. Flat (or less scooped) mids will let you sit back in the mix with a bit more definition, and boosting that 800-1.2k hz will get your leads to jump out in front without destroying the mix. A Fromel Shape in the loop excels at that because you can dial in the exact mid frequency and level that you want, and it's super quiet compared to most outboard graphic EQs.

Just out of cuiosity where would you put a tube screamer or the Fromel Shape in the chain?

I use a G-Force in the effects loop. Does the tube screamer or the Fromel Shape go between the guitar and head?

Thanks

rkaczano said:
Just out of cuiosity where would you put a tube screamer or the Fromel Shape in the chain?

I use a G-Force in the effects loop. Does the tube screamer or the Fromel Shape go between the guitar and head?

Thanks
I have the Mesa Grid Slammer that I run up front. The Fromel is the first thing in the fx loop.

Back