LTD EC1000/500 and ESP Eclipse II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll be looking to buy one of these 3 guitars in the next few weeks and would just like your thoughts on them as I know a few of you have some of these guitars.

What are the pros and cons of each? Is the extra money between the 3 models worth it?! Do they sound much different?! Etc, etc! Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I used to work in a store that was an ESP dealer. I've owned Eclipse II's, EC400AT's, and have played a bunch of 500's and 1000's.

One thing to keep in mind is that Eclipses feel and sound VERY different than a Les Paul. They're much thinner and sound more like SG's than LP's.

That said though, they're awesome. Straight from the factory the Eclipse II is going to have a lot more attention to detal, the finish will be nicer, better woods etc. However, with a good setup an LTD can come pretty close. In all honesty, I liked the two LTD EC400AT's that I've had more than the Eclipse II. It's chunkier like a Les Paul and plays and sounds great. I had one with EMG's and one with the stock Duncans and they were both great guitars.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the EC500 and EC1000 are 24 fret guitars, while the Eclipse II is 22.

IMAG0008.jpg

DSC00864.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

I'm no expert or anything, but all three are awesome guitars.

I really think it would come down to what you want to spend.

On the ones i've played, the 500s and 1000s have felt almost identical. The only real differences are some of the extras it seems. The 1000s come w/ locking tuners and bridges, have more adornments and have more variety in the colors they come in.

I personally have a Viper-1000 and i love it. Currently eying the Olympic White EC-500 as my next guitar.

And like Nitro said, keep in mind the Eclipse II is 22 frets vs the LTD 24 frets

if your into a more les pauly guitar see if you can find an ESP Full Body. To me they're the closest ESP has to a Paul but at the end of the day if you want a Les paul buy a Les Paul. Me for one like my EC-1000 because it feels comfortable like a Les paul but if setup correctly plays closer to an Ibanez

to answer your question more directly though I thing the EC1000 is the best band for your buck out of the 3 you listed. Looks great, sounds great, feels great.

If you're considering buying used, you should check ebay. There are almost always good if not great deals on EC-1000's and Eclipse II's there.

I have a used EC-1000 potentially for sale, if interested.

Nitrobattery said:
I used to work in a store that was an ESP dealer. I've owned Eclipse II's, EC400AT's, and have played a bunch of 500's and 1000's.

One thing to keep in mind is that Eclipses feel and sound VERY different than a Les Paul. They're much thinner and sound more like SG's than LP's.

That said though, they're awesome. Straight from the factory the Eclipse II is going to have a lot more attention to detal, the finish will be nicer, better woods etc. However, with a good setup an LTD can come pretty close. In all honesty, I liked the two LTD EC400AT's that I've had more than the Eclipse II. It's chunkier like a Les Paul and plays and sounds great. I had one with EMG's and one with the stock Duncans and they were both great guitars.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the EC500 and EC1000 are 24 fret guitars, while the Eclipse II is 22.

Thanks for the info and pics. Not sure if I'm liking the sound of it being more like an SG than a Les Paul as I much prefere the LP sound to the SG.

That said, I'm not really buying one for it to sound particularly like either as I own both a LP and an SG. I'm just wanting a good, fairly lightweight active guitar with a slimmer neck than my SG and Les Paul. It ticks all the boxes. The fact it's a Les Paul shape and looks awesome is just a bonus!

P.S. Thanks for all the other replies, so far I've got my potential buys down to the EC500 in black or the EC1000 in Vintage black. I'm leaning towards the EC500 as I'm not a big fan of gold hardware!

Any more opinions welcome!

Also, I'm considering buying an EMG85 for the bridge then putting the 81 in the neck and not using the 60. What are your thoughts on this?! (I'm a relative EMG noob. I had an 81 in my Les Paul for a short while but that's as far as my experience goes). Thanks again.

After owning dozens of guitars with EMG's, I can't stress the 85 in the bridge of an Eclipse enough. In big mahogany guitars I tend to like the 81 in the bridge, but in thinner guitars the 85 sounds fantastic. I'm a big fan of running dual 85's in my guitars, but I really like the 60, I like the 60A even more (basically the 60 with an alnico magnet instead of a ceramic) and personally don't have a single good thing to say about running an 81 in the neck. I think it sounds thin and sterile...not something I tend to like in a neck position.

I had the Vintage Black Eclipse II...and I'd suggest a different color other than the VTB. The finish makes the guitar feel really cheap, and it scratches REALLY easily. In all honesty, I'd go with the EC500. Bang for the buck, it's an awesome guitar.

Hi Nitro, thanks again for the detailed reply. At the moment I'm thinking a black EC500 and with the money I save by not getting the 1000 I'll buy an 85 for the bridge, then put the 81 in the bridge of my Tokai LP.

Just a quick question, what do you think the main differences in sound would be between the 81 and 85 in the EC500?! I've heard the 85 is warmer and has more perceived output than the 81. Would this be fair to say in the EC500!?

The EC500 is tricky because it doesn't have a maple top, so maybe just sticking with the 81 in the bridge might not be a bad idea. The EC500 is all mahogany...so it's a really dark sounding guitar on its own. Sticking the very bass heavy 85 in the bridge may muddy things up. Then again, to each their own. I had dual 85's in an all mahogany Schecter and liked it. If you were getting and Eclipse II I'd say go with the 85 no question...but when you get the EC500 just sort of feel it out. If you like it...then cool! If it sounds a little thin or lifeless to you, then an 85 might be more up your alley.

Yeah, I guess I'll just play it as stock for couple months and see how it sounds with my rig. At present I play my Tokai LP thru my Dual Rec and a Mesa 2x12 at band practice and (altho it does sound pretty **** good) it does sound a little flabby/woofy so I'm hoping the EMGs will kinda trim the fat and give me a more cutting sound. Thanks for your posts Nitro, they've been v.helpful!

I've been gassing pretty hard for a EC400AT Gold top for a while now to use as a live beater guitar. They just look awesome, the only thing that sucks is the scale length for me.

Back