LSS vs Express...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rickc007 said:
BIG L said:
Ok, which one for living room/practice/smaller venues? LSS or 5:50? With same tone criteria as above?

the LSS for me, I usually only play mine clean, and
slightly overdriven, to get that sustain, you're probably going
to need a pedal. I have used the Keeley Java Boost
in "trebble screamer" mode, and adds a nice bite
but I have not gotten F-50 sustain out of it

I spent a little time with the 5:50, and I have an F-50
I like the gain up high for the sustain you mention,
but with the gain up, any movement on the master
and cops come, but it'll sustain forever

but I do keep the master on low and use it in my living
room, but it is an animal, it wants let loose on the gain
channel
Give this a try with your F-50 to be able to get the master up higher, but reduce the overall level with more control:

hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

rickc007 said:
BIG L said:
How about a comparison of tones between the LSS and the 5:50? Which one would be a better buy? I like warmer thicker tones as well as a sweet lead tone with heaps of sustain. I play a PRS McCarty almost exclusively on the humbucking neck pickup but occaisionally step up to the bridge pickup when soloing. Thanks.

warmer thick tones - LSS

heaps of sustain 5:50 (F-50)

Hopefully you will have the ability to try both and decide for yourself.

I owned the LSS twice in the past year......and road tested the 5:50 extensively.

The LSS is a wonderful amp and superior to the 5:50 (the price reflects that)...but to answer your initial question....

The 5:50 wins out hands down on the requirements you posted.

Hey hal9000, that is a cool doc, and thanks for the tip

is that Mesa Boogie approved, I see it's just putting the pot
in the loop, but you never know. Switching tubes voids the
warranty....

rickc007 said:
Hey hal9000, that is a cool doc, and thanks for the tip

is that Mesa Boogie approved, I see it's just putting the pot
in the loop, but you never know. Switching tubes voids the
warranty....
No, I didn't get Randall Smith's seal of approval on this one, but I've used it extensively with great results. It's basically the same as putting a line level volume pedal in the loop, or employing the overall master post loop like on my Tremoverb and the rest of the Recto series. You can't damage the amp doing this as it's simply using the loop. FWIW, I like to set the FX mix pot to about 2:00 and adjust the channel 2 master to 10:00 or so for playing around the house.

If you want to give this a quick try, plug an unused cable into the FX send jack. Then, wrap aluminum foil around the end of another unused cable and secure it with a rubber band. The point is to make an electrical connection between the tip and sleeve. Finally, plug the cable into the FX return. The FX mix pot will now function as an overall master.

Latest posts

Back