LSS owner, help me identify this "mystery screw"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja22y

Reaction score
Just mucking around with the tubes and I noticed a black screw sticking down about 1/3 inch. It doesn't seem right as it's very tight to turn. Looking from the back, from left to right with the 1st tube being the rect tube, the screw locates between the 2nd and 3rd tubes (power tubes), slightly behind. It screwed into a square black retainer of the chasis.
Is your flush against the chasis or sticking down some?
thanks,

My Express 5:50 has a mystery screw as well. Mine is bright plated though.

It protrudes from the bottom of the chassis about an inch or so.

Looking through the vent slots on the back of the chassis, I can see that it passes through the chassis and contacts the foil shielding on the underside of the top of the cabinet.

I figured it's either there to ground the chassis to the shielding or to put tension in the middle of the chassis to prevent rattles.

Anyone else care to chime in on this one? I have the same question?? I discovered the screw last week when I took my LSS chassis out of the 1x12 combo box to send it to mesa for the 5y3 mod.

It's the Mesa Mojo screw.

Be very careful with this screw.

Just a touch.

Too much Mojo is Bad.

Too little is bad, as well.

Actually, it's best to not mess with this screw.

It's kinda like the bad girl in the club that is trying to ruin your life because she's bored.

Oh yea, she'll make your night.

But then, you'll wake up.......................

Just kidding.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

But I can say..............

Best of luck.

Murph.

Murphy Slaw said:
It's the Mesa Mojo screw.

Be very careful with this screw.

Too much Mojo is Bad.

Too little is bad, as well.

Dang Murph, with your advice I just stripped the threads while trying for one time in my life to get too much mojo..?? jk,, actually it is a screw in the middle of the chassis that goes through a threaded place in the chassis and seems to go into the wood top of my combo into a slot that is 1/8" deep. My guess is it is to dampen any vibration. The head of the screw sticks out about 1-1/4". If that is what it is for, it seems like a strange design.. I am not worried about it,, just grab another brew and move on the the next tune..

It is as you have suggested, for vibration damping. Probably does not hurt grounding either. Obviously, unscrew it a ways if you slide your chassis out or you'll trash the grounding foil. No need to overtighten, just a little more than firm

The screw is there to keep things nice and tight. If you remove the mounting screws for the head it will drop down enough to slide it out without harming the sheilding foil. Don't mess with it unless it is tormenting you in some way.

it is a tension screw and it also make an electrical contact between the sheilding plate or screen that is on the underside of the top of the cab.

Latest posts

Back