LSS Compact More low end head room?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixsit

Reaction score
Not sure if this is even possible- but running fairly clean, if there might be a way for say for a given amount of saturation relative to the higher notes, to get the lower end to clean up a bit?
Is it correct in my recollection it seems to me compared to a 'Twin or Super Reverb for example (although it's been a while), the LoneStar breaks up more on the low end?

EL-84s break up earlier than 6L6s and also have less bottom end.
It's the nature of the tube. The EL-84 have more of those sweet, sweet mids, so like everything else, it's a trade-off.

Very true about EL84 v 6L6 !
I've got a Lonestar and a Lonestar Special and with the Special I found the only real improvement was a speaker change if you want to spend the money. I put an Eminence Delta Pro 12 in and use a Creation Audio Labs MK4.23 in the effects loop for power valve boost. The Delta Pro gives stacks of head room at both ends and, I've noticed, currently reasonably priced. Don't be fooled by them not being listed as a guitar speaker, lots use them and I've installed them in my sons Randall, he's well pleased. They simply give you a lot more of your amps tone with minimal colouration and phenomenal projection. Bit of a pig to fit in but is a do-able, Mesa were really helpful about the upgrade which is basically longer mounting bolts and 8 instead of 4, the speakers **** heavy, an easy DIY just go slow.
But you will still be an EL84, although better, and as I've found, changing valve brands only difference, except maybe one, is a hole in your pocket. You just will not get the thump of a 6L6 loaded Lonestar, but that's why there are 2 beasts with distinctly different characters.
Good Luck :mrgreen:

Thanks for the responses.
So would there be an advantage in the idea of a boost in the fx loop basically allow running the front end cleaner and making up for it in the power section?

That Eminence clocks in at 16lbs! No thanks. :? If I was to go that route I'd call up one of the D-120's hanging around. (..salvaged them from my old 'Twin they're currently doing duty in a pair of old monitors )
I began with the assumption this wasn't always simply a matter of needing more overall level. Sometimes yes- out side gigs for example that would be helpful.
You got me thinking however, maybe I should try an extension cab for the extra cone area which could perhaps help the low end.

The LoneStars are basically an updated Mark I.

In the Mark I preamp the tone controls are located after the input stage but before the gain stages. It's why increasing the bass tends to bloat the bottom end.... The increased bottom end is being fed through multiple gain stages and getting the **** distorted out of it.

The net result of this style of preamp is that it allows you to shape the tone at the front of the amp but gives you very little control over the final sound produced by the amp. When Mesa added the graphic EQ to their Mark amps it gave users ability to control the overall sound of the amp better.

Long story short, try adding a small graphic EQ to the FX loop and EQ it like a standard Mark; i.e., run the preamp bass low and boost it back up using the graphic. The end result is a cleaner, less distorted bottom end.

screamingdaisy said:
The LoneStars are basically an updated Mark I.

In the Mark I preamp the tone controls are located after the input stage but before the gain stages. It's why increasing the bass tends to bloat the bottom end.... The increased bottom end is being fed through multiple gain stages and getting the **** distorted out of it.

The net result of this style of preamp is that it allows you to shape the tone at the front of the amp but gives you very little control over the final sound produced by the amp. When Mesa added the graphic EQ to their Mark amps it gave users ability to control the overall sound of the amp better.

Long story short, try adding a small graphic EQ to the FX loop and EQ it like a standard Mark; i.e., run the preamp bass low and boost it back up using the graphic. The end result is a cleaner, less distorted bottom end.
Wow. Not only does that helps me understand, it even looks like the loop offers an access point for a solution!
Thank you sir! ..or ma'am! :D

Latest posts

Back