LSC speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff

Reaction score
First post....hey everybody. I bought a new LSC 212 and it sounds great. I'm wondering if anyone has tried EVM12Ls in it. How do they sound and will they even fit? I have a pair that I'll either put in there or sell. And is there much tonal difference in other tubes, say SED Winged C power tubes?

Pete

I think you can fit the EVs in there, but you'll have to get the grill cloth off the front to access and replace the screws with longer ones to accommodate the thicker EV frames. A little bit of a pain, but doable.

However, the EVs will also make your amp so heavy that it might actually become a singularity, with enough concentrated mass to swallow light, space and time.

djw said:
However, the EVs will also make your amp so heavy that it might actually become a singularity, with enough concentrated mass to swallow light, space and time.
Yeah! Not only swallow stuff, but will eat fenders for breakfast. Those are the few speakers that will actually up-grade the tone from the C-90's according to pig whisperer Charles Reeder. Go for it!

plan-x said:
djw said:
Yeah! Not only swallow stuff, but will eat fenders for breakfast. Those are the few speakers that will actually up-grade the tone from the C-90's according to pig whisperer Charles Reeder. Go for it!
Agreed, they're great speakers. Just heavier than hell.

djw said:
I think you can fit the EVs in there, but you'll have to get the grill cloth off the front to access and replace the screws with longer ones to accommodate the thicker EV frames. A little bit of a pain, but doable.

:lol: Thanks and also for the tip. I just may dig in and see. If it's not too big a pain I'll do it. The weight doesn't concern me. Do the speakers screw directly into the grill or is there some sort of T nuts w/bolts?

riff said:
Do the speakers screw directly into the grill or is there some sort of T nuts w/bolts?

The speakers are rear-mounted. There are machine screws mounted through the cabinet's front panel, with the threads exposed on the inside of the cab. Just shine a flashlight into the back of your combo, you'll see the locking hex/acorn-style nuts holding the C90's to the cabinet from behind the speaker frames. On my amp, these screws aren't long enough (or probably heavy-duty enough) to fit all the way through and hold the heavy frame of my old EV -- maybe yours will work as-is, but I doubt it.

Anyway, you'll have to take the whole combo apart, I think... rear cabinet panels, amp chassis, reverb pan, everything has to come out before you can access the speaker mounts. I believe once you get everything obvious out, the last thing will be to remove the decorative front panel, which I think is screwed in from behind the cab front with 4 little screws in the corners. Then you can get at the speaker mounting screws from the front. Some good news is that once you replace the mounting screws, you can leave the new ones in even if you want to go back to the C90s or anything else.

djw said:
riff said:
Do the speakers screw directly into the grill or is there some sort of T nuts w/bolts?

The speakers are rear-mounted. There are machine screws mounted through the cabinet's front panel, with the threads exposed on the inside of the cab. Just shine a flashlight into the back of your combo, you'll see the locking hex/acorn-style nuts holding the C90's to the cabinet from behind the speaker frames. On my amp, these screws aren't long enough (or probably heavy-duty enough) to fit all the way through and hold the heavy frame of my old EV -- maybe yours will work as-is, but I doubt it.

Anyway, you'll have to take the whole combo apart, I think... rear cabinet panels, amp chassis, reverb pan, everything has to come out before you can access the speaker mounts. I believe once you get everything obvious out, the last thing will be to remove the decorative front panel, which I think is screwed in from behind the cab front with 4 little screws in the corners. Then you can get at the speaker mounting screws from the front. Some good news is that once you replace the mounting screws, you can leave the new ones in even if you want to go back to the C90s or anything else.

Good stuff right there....thanks djw!

i put an EV Classic (the re-issue) in my LSC 1x12 & it sounds better to my ears. i had to relocate the reverb tank to the side of the cabinet but the mounting posts were long enough that i didn't have to take the front grill off.

riff said:
First post....hey everybody. I bought a new LSC 212 and it sounds great. I'm wondering if anyone has tried EVM12Ls in it. How do they sound and will they even fit? I have a pair that I'll either put in there or sell. And is there much tonal difference in other tubes, say SED Winged C power tubes?

Pete

Latest posts

Back