LSC Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical123

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a used LSC and am starting to get the hang of all of the options. I am working through some of the manual settings and sometimes like sound when I put the Channel 2 suggestions on Channel 1. I have a couple of really good Channel 1 settings, but am having problems finding a setting that I love for channel 2.

Anyway, is there a site that has a list of setting that real users have tried and love?

plan-x said:
Musical123 said:
having problems finding a setting that I love for channel 2.
Hmmm, sounds like it's time for the "Reeder mod". :wink:

+1 Really solved my problems I was having with channel 2. Great amp.

Was having probs with Ch2 and tried the reeders, stuck with the "mid mod" but thought the pot swap took away from the warmth and character so had to revert that one back to standard!
really happy with the tone right now...

Don't know if you've tried this but, running the drive higher than the gain was the ony way I could manage that ch. before the Reeder mod. I had owned the amp for awhile before the mod was discovered and brought to this board. So, the best setting I could find was leaving the gain down, say at 10:00-12:00, and engaging the drive above those numbers. I would push it up to 2:00-3:00 for some good crunch. The key is keeping the gain down. It just introduces mud with higher settings. The manual says the tone will be thinner running it this way, but can be compensated with the EQ.

plan-x said:
Don't know if you've tried this but, running the drive higher than the gain was the ony way I could manage that ch. before the Reeder mod. I had owned the amp for awhile before the mod was discovered and brought to this board. So, the best setting I could find was leaving the gain down, say at 10:00-12:00, and engaging the drive above those numbers. I would push it up to 2:00-3:00 for some good crunch. The key is keeping the gain down. It just introduces mud with higher settings. The manual says the tone will be thinner running it this way, but can be compensated with the EQ.

I suppose you could add EQ, but why? With gain high this amp is hugely mid heavy and muddy. With the drive high (I acually keep gain as low as 10:00 and crank the drive to 3 or 4:00) it seems to even things out and allow a bit better, more logical use of the other tone controls. Mids can still stay around 10 or 11:00, but lows can come up higher as well (although 10-11:00) is just about right. I use a heavy Mahogany body/humbucker Les Paul style guitar and have all the chunk and fatness I need. Nothing much seems lost even in a louder band setting with keys and another guitar.

Mark

plan-x said:

I suppose you could add EQ, but why? With gain high this amp is hugely mid heavy and muddy. With the drive high (I acually keep gain as low as 10:00 and crank the drive to 3 or 4:00) it seems to even things out and allow a bit better, more logical use of the other tone controls. Mids can still stay around 10 or 11:00, but lows can come up higher as well (although 10-11:00) is just about right. I use a heavy Mahogany body/humbucker Les Paul style guitar and have all the chunk and fatness I need. Nothing much seems lost even in a louder band setting with keys and another guitar.

Mark

I've had my LSC for almost two years now and am still tweaking. I tried the Reeder mod, the pot swap, and while I liked the change, I ended up feeling like what all it did was gave me channel 1 with an overdrive. I run a couple of overdrives on my pedal board so it seemed kind of redundant. Swapped it back to get the darker tone back and I'm glad I did. Don't give up on it, just keep tweaking until you find something you like. For what it's worth, the adjustment that made the biggest difference for me was to have the gain lower than the drive. Here's a pic of my how mine's set (both channels at 50 watts and tube rectifier):

IMG_6199.jpg

SonOfIAm said:
I've had my LSC for almost two years now and am still tweaking. I tried the Reeder mod, the pot swap, and while I liked the change, I ended up feeling like what all it did was gave me channel 1 with an overdrive. I run a couple of overdrives on my pedal board so it seemed kind of redundant. Swapped it back to get the darker tone back and I'm glad I did. Don't give up on it, just keep tweaking until you find something you like. For what it's worth, the adjustment that made the biggest difference for me was to have the gain lower than the drive. Here's a pic of my how mine's set (both channels at 50 watts and tube rectifier):

IMG_6199.jpg

WOW!!! With settings like that I would be ripping peoples heads off with shrill biting treble!!! How do you do it? Do you have a dark sounding guitar?

Have you ever walked out like say 12-15ft in front of your amp and listened to those settings?

jjboogie. Based on your response, I'm beginning to wonder if there might actually be something wrong with my amp! I would be happy if it would be shrill, biting treble at these settings. That would mean the EQ actually worked the way I think it should. I have fought the treble on this amp from day one and this is as close as I've been able to come to having a nice high-end coming from the amp. I would turn the treble up higher if it wasn't for the additional gain it adds.
As far as my guitars, I play a Parker PM20 with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz. My other is a Fender Deluxe V-Neck with Kinman Blues pickups.

SonOfIAm said:
jjboogie. Based on your response, I'm beginning to wonder if there might actually be something wrong with my amp!

I certainly hope there is nothing wrong with it! :D

Too be honest I was slightly alarmed by the settings only because high treble settings on my rig would be a very bad thing sonically. That's why I asked about your guitar being dark or something.

Also please note I wasn't trying to put you or your settings down! I was just surprised to see the extreme treble settings. But if that works for you then amen! :D

I would be happy if it would be shrill, biting treble at these settings. That would mean the EQ actually worked the way I think it should. I have fought the treble on this amp from day one and this is as close as I've been able to come to having a nice high-end coming from the amp. I would turn the treble up higher if it wasn't for the additional gain it adds.
As far as my guitars, I play a Parker PM20 with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz. My other is a Fender Deluxe V-Neck with Kinman Blues pickups.

I have noticed that where we stand in relation to our amp dramatically effects the accuracy of how the amp actually sounds to the audience.

If you stand right in front of it like a foot or two away the amp with sound bassy and often muddy kind of like a proximity effect. Then we over compensate by cranking treble to make it sound clean however once we do that the audience hears something different. Those who are 15 to 20 and further hear nothing but thin harsh biting treble and that's it!

When I sound check I always walk to the very edge of the stage which is usually about 12-15ft deep and listen to my amp and I find that it is always brighter further away.

You should try it sometime in your rehearsal space......with your current settings walk as far out in front of your amp as your cable will allow then tell me if the amp sounds good. If it still does with those settings then cool keep them but if they don't then you will know that you are overcompensating the eq to what you hear standing too close to your amp. It really is a catch 22 situation because you want your amp to sound great when you are standing right in front of it because typically that is where we stand when we gig! That is where monitors really help! You can get that sparkle coming back at you with your monitor.

When I set the eq too sound great at where the audience would hear it then 10 times out of 10 it will be muddy when standing right in front of the amp.....monitors! Need em!

I hope that makes sense.....I am not trying to knock what you are doing but I do want to make sure you are realizing what possibly could be happening because I used to do the same thing with my eq settings until band mates complained about the harshness of the tone when I was just trying to make it sparkly when standing near the amp.

jjboogie, thanks for the advice and concern. I have noticed that it does make a difference where I stand in relation to the speakers when I'm playing at home and have played with different mic positions based upon that info. I play on a worship team and we mic our amps back stage to keep the stage volume down and it sounds great at the current settings in that environment. I haven't had the opportunity to play with it on stage in a live situation where I'm sure it would sound much different and possibly require different settings. I suppose I should also mention I play through a closed back 2X12 cabinet with Vintage 30's which respond differently than the Black Shadows did.

SonOfIAm said:
jjboogie, thanks for the advice and concern. I have noticed that it does make a difference where I stand in relation to the speakers when I'm playing at home and have played with different mic positions based upon that info. I play on a worship team and we mic our amps back stage to keep the stage volume down and it sounds great at the current settings in that environment. I haven't had the opportunity to play with it on stage in a live situation where I'm sure it would sound much different and possibly require different settings. I suppose I should also mention I play through a closed back 2X12 cabinet with Vintage 30's which respond differently than the Black Shadows did.

Ahh! Context is key! Having an amp backstage micd and being controlled out front by a sound guy is a whole different ball game than the use of an amp that I am used too!

I have never done what you are doing so that would be new territory for me! :D

Those settings are very similiar to mine. I usually run my treble and presence at about 2:00, drive higher than gain, and I play in a church with a Parker too, not mic'd, straight from the amp to the audience, Yeah baby! And I definitely don't like shrill tone! I think the variable is, pup's. I use low-med output pup's and I keep the height down to get the cleanest clean. Which requires more "pump" from the amp to get the sound out.

SonOfIAm said:

I noticed the settings also. I have had my treble up that high in the past and sort of liked it...but with the presense down around 11:00 (it adds some compression too). I do use a relatively dark sounding guitar also (LP style mahogany body w/ Rio Grande pickups which tend to be on the thick dark side). If it works...who am I to say. What I do notice though are major changes in a band setting and from stage to stage. Right now I have dialed my treble back to about 2:00 on both channels and only really adjust two other knobs--mids and presense. I had everthing sounding great on channel 2 and then did a band rehearsal (same space) and brought back in a fair amount of mids that needed to be there. Interestingly, I notice WAY less variation with channel 1. It seems to pretty much sound the same...all situations (which is curious). As others have said though, what works for you works. You are the artist here. I'd love to hear some clips though if you can do that.

Mark

I am now using similar eq settings on Channel 2 (but not as much gain or drive) and have the tone rolled off by almost 50%.

Cheers

Leroy the Massochist said:
I am now using similar eq settings on Channel 2 (but not as much gain or drive) and have the tone rolled off by almost 50%.

Cheers

Can you post clips? I'd love to hear it.

Latest posts

Back