LSC effects loop questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidp158

Reaction score
I have read a few threads about the effects loop in the Lone Star, and just wondering if anyone has any new revelations on this.

I have a LSC, and really enjoy it, but struggle with the tone loss when using the effects loop. I have experimented with different send/return levels, always use good cables and calibrate my effects for unity gain, but I believe the tone loss I hear is entirely within the effects loop. With nothing connected to the effects loop, I can hear a fairly substantial difference between the effects loop engaged and disengaged.

BTW, I am using a TC Electronic Nova System in my effects loop. Yeah, its digital, but the converters sound pretty good, and I'm very careful about proper calibration of the gain stages. If I didn't rely the overdrive tones of the LSC's second channel so much, I'd run the Nova System in front of the amp. However, I can't use delay into overdrive (total mush). Lastly, I like the option of the SOLO foot switch, which is only available with the effects loop engaged.

• As this is a tube buffered effects loop, I'm wondering if there's an ideal tube for this application.
• Has anyone done any mods to improve the effects loop?
• Would the use of something like the Suhr Mini Mix (http://www.suhrguitars.com/tonetools.aspx#minimix) help in any way? From what I read, its main advantage is to eliminate audio degradation due to poor digital converters in effects. No doubt it could minimize signal degradation from effects, but it won't address the tone loss of the LSC effects loop.

The LSC is a great amp, and the effects loop certainly doesn't keep me from using it.

If you have a second amp, it would be possible to connect the LSC Slave Out to the Delay In, then the Delay Out to the second amp.

The LSC is "dry", the second amp is "wet" with delay repeats.

The LSC effects loop is left "analog" from pre to power amp (no A/D, D/A conversions).

-Gary K

Gary - Thanks for the reply. I'm specifically looking for options to improve the use of the LSC's effects loop. Even without anything plugged into the effects loop, there is an audible tone loss when engaging the LSC's effect loop. I'm wondering if there is a tube choice, or circuit mod that can help this.

The wet/dry concept has its advantages, but for simplicity and convenience, I'd rather use one amp. BTW, I've done the wet/dry rig, but the only consistent results where at gigs without the amps in the PA. I do a lot of one set showcase gigs, with limited set up time and occasionally no sound check. Sadly, many sound engineers don't grasp the concept of a wet/dry rig, and often screw up the wet/dry ratio (waaaaaay too much effect or none at all). One engineer only ran the wet through the PA and monitors! The "mix" was so bad, I had to shut off my wet amp. Wet/dry rigs are great with a competent sound engineer, or in an environment where you have complete control. Otherwise you're at the mercy of the sound engineer's limitations.

egkor said:
If you have a second amp, it would be possible to connect the LSC Slave Out to the Delay In, then the Delay Out to the second amp.

The LSC is "dry", the second amp is "wet" with delay repeats.

The LSC effects loop is left "analog" from pre to power amp (no A/D, D/A conversions).

-Gary K

I see ... :)

Andy Timmons (via his switching system) chains 2 Electro-Harmonix analog delay pedals together in the effects loop of his LSC ... His live tone sounds pretty good!

Just (another) thought ...

Hope you get to where you want to be!

-Gary K

Yeah, Andy does sound great, and he does use the effects loop. I just don't like the tone loss, and looking for a way to minimize it.

egkor said:
I see ... :)

Andy Timmons (via his switching system) chains 2 Electro-Harmonix analog delay pedals together in the effects loop of his LSC ... His live tone sounds pretty good!

Just (another) thought ...

Hope you get to where you want to be!

-Gary K

Latest posts

Back