LSC Bias set OEM at 23 on my Lone Star Classic?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRVYJM

Reaction score
All,
I purchased the bias mod kit from Mansfield Guitars and I wanted to see what the OEM setting was, so I plugged in my bias probe and fired up my amp. It's reading 22.9 to 23 ma on my DMM. Can that be right? I mean, that's like half of where you guys are recommending it be at, in the 40s or so. Could it really be biased that cold from the factory? I guess that would also go a ways to explaining my overall disappointment in this amp too!

You got it right!

Yep; that's how cold they commonly come from the factory. And the recommendations you read here from myself and others of 35 to 42 mv is not at all out of line for a 6L6 based amp. Even staid old conservative Fender recommends 35mv for their 6L6 based amps.

I have 2 Lonestars. When I got them...one read 22mv (right about where yours is) and the other read 28mv (not warm enough...but it sounded much better than the other amp).

Mesa's Grey coded 6L6s and Yellow coded 6L6's do read higher. Low 30's for greys...mid 30's for yellows...but unfortunately you get whatever code they feel like installing instead of the code that would sound warmest when you get your amp.

Apparently, Mesa does not wish to 'openly' share the color-code info. Probably for fear of a run on their grey and yellow stock and a bunch of other colors gathering dust on their shelves for an eternity!

In my opinion; Fender actually took an intelligent compromise route for the biasing of the Hot Rod and Pro Series Amps (perhaps others too). When I bought a Hot Rod Deluxe it came with Groove Tubes 'Blue' 6L6s in it. Theoretically if I didn't want to ever bother with biasing I just replace with another 'blue' pair...and my amp would be in the optimum range. I took a reading. Sure enough...the pair were in spec. But the ability to set the bias is there in the amp...should I wish to use other tubes.

The problem with Mesa'a fixed biasing policy is that...yes you are SAFE to use ANY Mesa 6L6 tube...but only a handful of choices actually sound best! And if you get sent an amp with greens or reds that sounds like a machete slicing icicles off a tin roof...well too bad. You need another color...but where is the info about which color to get? Well, now it's on the forum...but that shouldn't have been necessary!

So, have no fear! Bias at about 35 to 37 to start...and give the amp a listen. Slowly work your way up or down until YOU ARE HAPPY. I like mine in the 37 to 39 range presently...but if I were to want it to get 'thick' sounding sooner for smaller venues I'd bias at 42.

Let your ears be your guide...and enjoy!

P.S. Let's all not to forget to give a big thanks to 'Splatter' who originally posted info on the Lonestar bias mod. It's unfortunate; but a lot of people will stumble onto something like the bias mod and NOT TELL OTHERS about it. They want to keep the key to their improved sound a secret; so others don't sound as good as them! It's true; people do that; so a special thanks to 'Splatter' for sharing!
Let's also thank Mansfield Guitars who had the sense to spot a 'need' and bothered to follow-thru with a solution for the Lonestar (and other amps).

Charles

Thanks Charles, awesome and quick response like always! I'm going to see if I like it once the mod is installed, then maybe try your mods too.

Latest posts

Back