LSC and the topic of Boosters and Buffers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiteboarder

Reaction score
I have 7 True-Bypass pedals in line before my Lonestar Classic. I want to add a buffer to help make the original signal stronger. Someone suggested running an Xotic RC Booster in my rig as a buffer and to have it on all the time. This is a rather good idea. But... Should I put it first in my chain, or last?

I think the RC Booster is a great pedal but I thought it coloured the tone too much for me. Another option is an MI Audio Boost n' Buff. The buffer in it is always on, and you can switch on a booster/treble booster with the footswitch. With the B n' B, you get a buffer even when the footswitch is disengaged so it seemed more transparent to me than the RC Booster with it's gain and eq stages. I tried putting it in the front of my pedalboard and at the end. It sounded better and worked better with my pedals (especially fuzz) when I had it after the pedals.

Cool, thanks for the tip. So, as a buffer, the BnB is better. But, when the effect is actually on, which of the 2 do you like best, the BnB or the RC?

Cheers, Danny

Personally, I quite like the buffers that are present in the Boss pedals, I use my TU-2 for this very role. There are differing schools of thought about whether it is best to put it first or last in the chain, I put it at the end of mine. To me, it sounds better there. The other good thing is that everybody needs a tuner, so you're not getting a pedal just for its buffer properties.

Fox

The korg is indeed said to be a buffer. I used a Masotti Whitebox as a buffer and it is also a clean booster, no colouring of tone at all. If you only need a buffer, you could use the masotti black box.

Beess said:
The korg is indeed said to be a buffer. I used a Masotti Whitebox as a buffer and it is also a clean booster, no colouring of tone at all. If you only need a buffer, you could use the masotti black box.

Interesting! Who sells Masotti products in the US?

Kiteboarder said:
Cool, thanks for the tip. So, as a buffer, the BnB is better. But, when the effect is actually on, which of the 2 do you like best, the BnB or the RC?

Cheers, Danny

Personally, I liked the B n' B better as I found it more transparent as a boost until about 12' o clock on the dial. Past that on the dial, it takes on a different character of a nice, squishy treble booster. I should mention I have the old version of the BnB with a single knob. Definitely, the RC booster is more versatile so it has it's benefits too. Get one of each and see what you like!

Quetapasao said:
Hey Bees , where are you in Belgium ?
I live not in, but near Mechelen, at the northeast of Brussels. Are you from Belgium too ? Maybe this should be in PM, and not in the thread... :oops:

Latest posts

Back