LSC 2x12 - Original MC90's or Vintage 30's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiteboarder

Reaction score
I have a pair of MC90 Black Shadow and a pair of Vintage 30's. Which do you guys prefer in an LSC 2x12? How about 1 of each?

Kiteboarder said:
I have a pair of MC90 Black Shadow and a pair of Vintage 30's. Which do you guys prefer in an LSC 2x12? How about 1 of each?

Since you would only have to change out one speaker, why not try the "mixed speaker" scenario first?

I would make sure the different (C90/V30) speakers/drivers are phased correctly. That is, the voice coils/cones move in/out in unison. If they don't you will get frequency cancellations.

If you like the sound, leave it!

How about this: Find a empty 2x12 cab, load in the V30s, and then you could go either/or or both! For example:
2x12 C90s, or 2x12 V30s, or all together with both amp and ext. cab.

-Gary K

Thanks for the tips Gary. I have an Egnater TM212 cab with Elite 80s in it. It sounds VERY different than the LS 2x12 cab. Even with the half open back option. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try different alternatives and combinations... -D

Kiteboarder said:
Thanks for the tips Gary. I have an Egnater TM212 cab with Elite 80s in it. It sounds VERY different than the LS 2x12 cab. Even with the half open back option. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try different alternatives and combinations... -D

It is common to mix drivers. Say in a 2x12 cab, to have two different drivers. One mix (for example) is a alnico magnet driver, along with a ceramic magnet driver.

I have all Mesa C90s because the LSC 1x12 combo amp and 1x12 cabs came with them. But often I think about swapping a V30 in one of those 1x12 cabs so I can hear the combination of the C90 in the LSC combo along with a V30 in the ext. cab.

-Gary K

BTW several months ago I brought home a Egnater Rebel and Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cab (with the removable piece in the back to make it open/closed back). I really thought it was going to blow me away, but at the time, it didn't and I took it all back. But from things I've learned since then I'll bet I could bond with that combination after all. :)

I use my V-30's in a 2x12 ext. (closed) along with the C-90's in the combo. It really sounds big. "Big as Texas" :lol: haha. The V-30's in a closed back alone sound tight. As with many speakers, mixing is usually is going to get a full bodied blend thats going to spoil ya.

V-30's alone in the combo don't sound any better than the C-90's IMO, and actually have the usual ice pick high's they're known for, making the C-90 a better choice in the combo. I never tried mixing two different speakers in the combo itself due to different wattage ratings and sensitivity ratings(db). But hey, what the heck give it a try, ya never know. It might be awesome. :D

I use a Classic Lead 80 which is basically a MC90 and a Vintage 30 (60 watt) in a custom 2x12 recto clone.
I love it. I would recommend it.
When I play rock I mic the V 30, country/blues I mic the Classic lead.

Gary: I have both a TM212x and the Rebel 112. I found the 212x sound better at higher volumes. I prefer the sound of the Rebel 112 at bedroom volumes. Another thing to keep in mind is that they sound better once the speakers have been broken in.

plan-x: What your saying makes total sense. The guy who used to own the 2x12 cab with the V30's in it would actually run it closed back. Somehow, I think there's a chance the V30's will end up inside my TM212 cab instead! But not before I try different combinations! :)

loudguitars: I heard the Classic Lead 80 is basically the same as Egnater's Elite 80. I wonder how true that is.

Latest posts

Back