lowest wattage a mark IV will run at?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the main mark IV page it states...
"Power Amp Voicing switches tune the style and feel of your output stage. Select Triode for resilient vintage warmth or Pentode for punchy forward power. Choose Class A for two-tube operation, where clip begins around 15 watts, or Simul-Class for 85 watts of blended magic."

and the manual states that in class A/triode clips at 30 watts, or 50 in class A/pentode. and 70 watts in simul-class/triode or 85 in simul-class/pentode

so i imagine the extra 15 watts reduction described on the main page is when you go to tweed mode while using class a/triode operation.

can someone verify or debunk my findings?

I'm running 6V6's on the outside set. In class A mode and triod setting I'm probably at 15 to 18 watts. It's fine for a small club. I run it with a Blue Angel that also has 6V6's. In a bigger club I just switch it to the full SimulClass with the Winged C 6L6's. Thats around 45 to 50 watts. Kick the Blue Angel up to EL84s & 6V6's for about 38 watts. Make for extreme versatility.

Oh my, what a setup that must be. I love my BA and Mark III.

So you go tweed power, class A for just 6v6s and tweed, simul for 2x6V6 and 2x6L6? Do your 6V6s hate you for this (I thought the plate voltage was too high for just 2 6V6s. doesn't the manual say tweed/simul only?)?

Well, they've been in there for nine months with no problems. I'm running JJ 6V6's which are supposed to be able to take higher plate voltages. I've run it at full power/simulclass for hours, just daring them slag down. They hang in there. When you turn on the 6L6's they kind of just disappear in the mix.
I have EH 6V6's in the Blue Angel and I think they're a slightly better sounding tube - but I'm afraid to put them in the Mark VI - they might go bottle-rocket on me.

Back