Lovin' my Stiletto Ace!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes the sound is abfl marvellous.

had the same probs as you described. the stock tubes from MESA really suck. changed them all by now in both amps.

they should not treat them with a hammer, maybe the tubes will live longer then

I installed the Mesa Back Shadow C90 in place of V30 in my 1x12 combo.
It gave the amp a more modern sound, deeper lows. But I wound up putting the V30 back in. I like the crunch and smoothness of it better.
I'd like to try a Greenback next.

zewango said:
It gave the amp a more modern sound, deeper lows. But I wound up putting the V30 back in. I like the crunch and smoothness of it better.

nice nice. good to know.

I just bought a 4x12 Splawn cab with Greenbacks. It'll take about 3 weeks for me to get it though :(

I'll let u know how it is with my ace head once it arrives. can't wait!

oh, and if you are gonna load a single greenback into your ace, I'd be careful not to crank it too much in fear of blowing the speaker. greenbacks are rated at 25watts

I think the Greenbacks will sound good. However, I'm happy with the Vintage 30. Sounds very good in the closed back combo.

Yeah, there's too much power for a single Greenback. An alternative is the Eminence Private Jack which handles more and is supposed to be similar to a GB but I haven't tried one. I have tried an Eminence Wizard and loved it (once broken in). I had it in an open back Traynor 50Blue and it really sounded good in it.

SoCalSteve said:
I think the Greenbacks will sound good. However, I'm happy with the Vintage 30. Sounds very good in the closed back combo.

Yeah, there's too much power for a single Greenback. An alternative is the Eminence Private Jack which handles more and is supposed to be similar to a GB but I haven't tried one. I have tried an Eminence Wizard and loved it (once broken in). I had it in an open back Traynor 50Blue and it really sounded good in it.

havent heard the ace combo. right now i play the ace head through a 2x12 cab with a v30 and a g12h30. it's nice, but i find the v30 to be a bit piercing in the highs. the ace is already a bright amp. im thinking greenbacks will warm up the sound bit.

inkwachemis said:
zewango said:

nice nice. good to know.

I just bought a 4x12 Splawn cab with Greenbacks. It'll take about 3 weeks for me to get it though :(

I'll let u know how it is with my ace head once it arrives. can't wait!

oh, and if you are gonna load a single greenback into your ace, I'd be careful not to crank it too much in fear of blowing the speaker. greenbacks are rated at 25watts

It will be low volume levels so know need to worry about blowing it up. :D

I have a feeling this thread is going to go on for some time!

Last night I was doing some low volume picking in the front room of our house. It's pretty big with very high ceilings, I was playing my LP with the ace on ch2 middle setting, man did it sound good. My nine year old son got out the bongos and started jamming along. Pretty soon we're into some Johnny Winter sounding stuff and it was cool.

Then back to ch1 crunch set really clean, what a beautiful tight sound.

I never use the loop & master on.

After about 4 months now, I've decided that this thing sounds great right out of the box. Re-tubing, maybe, new speaker? Naw, I'm just going to let this one break in and get nice and sweet!

Like most Boogie's, it takes a while to get the feel for the settings.
For me, this amp is the real deal.

I'm going to try taking "beano' for my GAS and just start getting into this amp and my current gits.

I think I found the outlet for the sound in my head!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Time to Rock!!!!!

See ya'

- dstefani

I finally got to jam a bit with some other people last night with my Ace.. I actually made a few minor adjustments at the beginning of the jam and didn't even touch it at all after that. I run my completely stock, the only effect I had last night was my analog delay in the loop but I plugged straight into the front otherwise and the tone was heavenly.. even the other guitarists stopped and were like '****.. what the hell kind of amp is that?' :D

I'm completely with you guys. Don't you just come away from playing through the amp just giddy from the tones?

I'm really impressed with the way this amp has tone controls that cover such a wide spectrum. I was fiddling around with my Strat and decided to see if I could get a comparable clean tone with my humbucking pickup. Put 'er in Tite Clean and crank up the treble and presence and get a very good impression of a single coil bridge pickup.

That said, I play 90% of the time under gain 'cuz it just sounds so damned good but this amp really gets some great clean tones.

Back