Lovin' my Stiletto Ace!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dstefani said:
That looks great.

At what point did they reverse the controls of the Ace, or am I seeing things?

My combo has the mini toggles on the left and the master outputs on the right

The Ace head and combo have a different layout, that's why the manual for your combo is all weird too, it's made for the head version. :idea:

fsmith said:
zewango said:
I'm real interested in adding a 2x12 Emerald Green Cab to my combo. Has anybody seen any Stiletto cabs out there.

I bought an Avatar 2x12 with a Hellatone 30 & 60 in it. Love it.

HPIM3136.jpg

How close does the tolex match up? It looks real nice!

dstefani said:
When I called Mesa as to the best ext cab for my Ace, he did not like the sound of the Stiletto cabs.

He recommended the standard horz. 2x12 recto.
I have to agree, the recto sounds killer. Very loud to! :twisted:

I'd call Mesa and get the info first hand.

- dstefani

I thought the standard Recto 2x12 might be more what I was after. Strange Mesa would say that. I like that oversized Lonestar cab as well :D

He was pretty sure about what he was saying. My first thought was a green cab as well. he said they had tried all the cabs with it, even the over-sized 4x12 and this one added the most bottom end. IMHO he was right. Maybe I should have it recoverd in green!

- dstefani

When I talked to a Boogie rep just before Xmas, I said I was looking for a 2x12 cab. He told me the difference between the Stiletto 2x12 and the Recto 2x12 was like comparing the Recto 4x12 Traditional to the Recto 4x12 Standard. The bigger cab has a fuller, looser bottom end, whereas the smaller cab is tighter and punchier in the bottom end. Still haven't picked one up though.

cant play pool with a rop said:
Nice setup!The Avatar really looks classy with the Ace. I bet it sounds sweet!!!!

It looks good and sounds even better! I really lucked out buying it sight unseen other than pics at the Avatar site, but it really is a nice setup made even nicer by a sweet amp.

I'm glad to hear good things about Avatar, I'm in Boise ID USA, Avatar is up north from me a bit, also in Idaho. That's country livin' for ya'!

- dstefani

dstefani said:
I'm glad to hear good things about Avatar, I'm in Boise ID USA, Avatar is up north from me a bit, also in Idaho. That's country livin' for ya'!

- dstefani
They were great to deal with. Very professional and personable. I would recommend them to anyone.

Congrats on the Broncos! Very cool.

fred

Yea, I'm about 15 minutes from the college. I'm new to the area and it was the first Broncos game I watched. Now I'm so spoiled!

Idaho is great, there is a real nice vibe here.
There is a friendly community of players in the valley, a few small music stores that are pretty cool, especially Sunset Music, it's were I got my Ace and my Strat. Now they have an Ace head in a light tan with a matching 4x12 cab. It's a beauty! They also have a Roadster combo in the same light tan, it's a really nice color.

So many amps, so little cash!

:D - dstefani

Enjoy the feeling! I'm a Michigan fan, but have been paying real close attention to the boys from Boise the last few years. Maybe one of these years the BCS knuckleheads will get it right.

Nice country out there indeed... I had an Aunt that lived in Idaho Falls, I visited many years ago. I didn't want to come back to Maryland.

Sounds cool with having some people to play with out there.

A tan Ace eh? Sounds really nice.

take care,
fred

As the title for this topic is "Lovin' my Stiletto" I would like to show the fine people at Mesa Boogie my appreciation once again. I can't praise this thing enough and haven't even gotten into the tube swapping yet. I've had the amp since August 2006. 1x12 combo. Living in Northern MI, I had to go to New Berlin WI, to find one, and it was the only one left within 250 miles as I didn't get into the Chicago dealers. Well, the time spent was worthwhile. We play everything from VH Classic, to All American Rejects. The other guitar player has a 1983-84 Marshall JCM 800/2203? dual channel reverb. That thing, I'm sorry Marshall guys, blows in comparison. Now, if he were to have it re capped and tubed and biased, which he supposedly did, I think it would improve, but you still wouldn't get a modern sound out of it. Plus he's got a 4x12 and I think I've got him volume wise. The Stiletto for the typical weekend warrior with a small home studio is pure Ecstasy. Yes Bogner nut swingers, I said Ecstasy. :p It's compact, the 50 watt platform is perfect, (the best Marshall I've ever heard was a 1996-7 50 watt 1987xl reissue, Nice but limited.), the solo function, effects loop and the 5 voicings, what more could you ask out of an amp? Keep yer reverb, and PTP, I'll take a PC board any day. That's only if reliability, affordability and sound quality are important to you. No dissing fine boutique PTPers, Im envious and wish I had the disposable funds, but I needed bang for the buck, and no other amp for my style comes within a solar system of the ACE. :!: Now, I need to find a purple jewel for the power indicator. It irritates me when I have the 2nd channel engaged and the amp has Christmas lights. Green and Red, uggh.

That's what this amp does so well ! It's like a great modded 80's amp made just for getting tones from bands like Extreme, Dokken, Ratt as well as some of the new stuff too.

Oh boy, I wish you didn't say that. I feel a fart coming out.

the red and green lights didnt bother me untill you brought it up,thanks alot! lol i want a blue one damnit!

zebrapup said:
As the title for this topic is "Lovin' my Stiletto" I would like to show the fine people at Mesa Boogie my appreciation once again. I can't praise this thing enough and haven't even gotten into the tube swapping yet. I've had the amp since August 2006. 1x12 combo. Living in Northern MI, I had to go to New Berlin WI, to find one, and it was the only one left within 250 miles as I didn't get into the Chicago dealers. Well, the time spent was worthwhile. We play everything from VH Classic, to All American Rejects. The other guitar player has a 1983-84 Marshall JCM 800/2203? dual channel reverb. That thing, I'm sorry Marshall guys, blows in comparison. Now, if he were to have it re capped and tubed and biased, which he supposedly did, I think it would improve, but you still wouldn't get a modern sound out of it. Plus he's got a 4x12 and I think I've got him volume wise. The Stiletto for the typical weekend warrior with a small home studio is pure Ecstasy. Yes Bogner nut swingers, I said Ecstasy. :p It's compact, the 50 watt platform is perfect, (the best Marshall I've ever heard was a 1996-7 50 watt 1987xl reissue, Nice but limited.), the solo function, effects loop and the 5 voicings, what more could you ask out of an amp? Keep yer reverb, and PTP, I'll take a PC board any day. That's only if reliability, affordability and sound quality are important to you. No dissing fine boutique PTPers, Im envious and wish I had the disposable funds, but I needed bang for the buck, and no other amp for my style comes within a solar system of the ACE. :!: Now, I need to find a purple jewel for the power indicator. It irritates me when I have the 2nd channel engaged and the amp has Christmas lights. Green and Red, uggh.

man, just wait till you retube it!

I put an amber light on my Ace head

My local dealer just happened to have this Recto 2X12 to match and so I couldn't say no. I'm so weak :lol:

DSC00177.jpg

I just bought a Mesa Black Shadow to try in my 1x12 combo. I want to see if this will give a little more bass and kill the V30 high end. I read a HC review where someone did this and were quite pleased with the results.

I must have had a pre-amp tube going bad. Friday night I noticed the amp had much more hum or hiss than is normal so Saturday morning I put in 2 tubes that I had from a previous amp which I took out when I sold it.

I had a GT12AX7-M and a GT12AX7-C so basically I put the more expensive tube, the M, in V1 and the C in V2. (How's that for technical decision making? :wink: ) I also considered putting the third tube I had, a JJ ECC83s in V5 but figured I'd see if these 2 replacements solved the problem.

Extra hiss went away and also the top end bite seems a little smoother. In fact this morning I was playing with the treble up around 2:00 which I wasn't doing before. Maybe it isn't a bad idea afterall to change the stock tubes the Mesa's are shipped with.

Anyway, I'm still just as ecstatic over this amp -or even moreso now as I've ever been. Such an excellent sounding amp for the tones I like. This morning I was playing Smoke on the Water with the neck pup of my Strat, Judas Priest's Livin' After Midnight, some VH and Black Sabbath with the Wolfgang and in tone heaven!

Latest posts

Back