Lovin my LSC more today...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumminsix

Reaction score
The LSC is my first Mesa amp. So I'm not totally used to the tonestack and the relationship one has to the next. Well, my favorite amp, traditionally, is the Fender Twin. However, Fender makes shitty amps these days and Mesa makes a superior product.

So I read the manual, again, and it seemed to click a bit better. Up to this point I've kept it like this:
H - 1:30
M - 8:30
L - 11
P - 1

That gave me a decent tone. Today, I decided to play and hit this:
H - 2:30
M - 10
L - 11
P - 1

Man, it just screamed of classic clean! I think I'm getting it slowly. Apparently, the more highs I let in, the less impact the mids and lows have in the tonestack. Well, this setup just dialed in a sweet tone that will sit so perfectly in the mix.

Had to tell someone and I know you guys will understand :lol:

Take a look at the settings from the link on the home page for this forum.

Tuning in the drive channel 2 is a bit more challenging. I have found that taking down the treble a bit and upping the mids and bass give some girth to the drive. I personally like the shift that the Thick switch has. With my Les Paul I can move my volume between 4 and 9 and control the amount of crunch that comes out. I like the LSC crunch in this mode because it is tight, if you know what I mean.

As a fellow LSC owner, I can tell you that you can get some great sounds out of this amp. Try some EL34s after a while and see what you think. I also appreciate the build quality of the amp - quality parts and attention to detail.

Thanks for the direction, cnumb44! Fortunately for me, I only need that slightly driven barely breakin' sound so Ch 2 is pretty much a straight copy of Ch 1 except the lows need to come down a bit.

U and me both. i just bought a used LSC ( ~$1100) & am very pleased. my markIV was great but the LSC is better imho. btw, for those out there that want more gain from the LSC, set the gain, drive, & treb controls to 9. i promise it will just wail! The treb actually make lots of difference. regards.

Don't want t ohijack the thread, but Boogiemon, can you compare the MKIV and LSC. I've been wondering if my second Mesa amp would be a MKIV.

Sure. 1st though, i had an older model of the MIV: compact combo w/an EV speaker. That said, the m4 is a three channel amp, but ch2 was really only good as a warmer version of ch1: any gain at all on ch2 caused the lower frequencies to distort in an unpleasant way. Bass response in general is MUCH improved in the LSC, though compared to the new M4's which have the wider cab, there may be less difference.
ch1 on the M4 was very clean, but not particularly warm: i prefer the clean channel of the LSC. ch3 of the MIV was over the top: extreme gain on tap, but not w/out the strained-sounding high mid boost characteristic of the Mark series. While this tone is great, it tends to overpower the tonal characteristics of the guitar & make everything sound like Santana. i dug it for a while but eventually started looking for something w/a more relaxed feel, which i found in the LSC: just enough gain, a warmer, vintage tone over all, & boogie vibe/quality.
Weight wise they are about the same: heavy. i also i didn't care for the control layout of the m4, too many swtiches scattered around the front & back.

regards,
boogiemon

Latest posts

Back