Loss of Low End

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8erps

Reaction score
My single rec series 2 seems to have lost a lot of low end and some gain recently. I replaced all the tubes and it's def not the tubes. It took a little hit a cpl of months ago and seemed slightly different after that. Since then I've increasingly had to boost the gain and bass. Any ideas what might be the problem. I've got the bass and gain practically dimed and that's just not right.

Just to clarify you replaced all the power tubes and preamp tubes? Cause it sounds like you have a preamp tube dying on you.

How old is the amp? maybe some components are just showing age problems...
This happened to my friends F-100. some components changed, amp is back!!!!

yeah dimed bass would be woofy as hell .

if it took a knock when it started happening something must've come loose

Yeah, all the power tubes and preamp tubes. I saved the old tubes and have swapped out tubes and it's still the same. This actually happened before I got the new tubes and is the reason I got the new tubes. I thought new tubes would solve the problem. Tonight I put in the el34's I got it with and it is more playable but I still have the bass and gain cranked. I'm not sure how old it is b/c I got it used 2 years ago. That's why it had el34's in it. But it sounds way louder and more defined with the old el34's but I really like the sound of 6l6's when the amp is working properly.

BTW, which preamp tube would you think may be dying on me. Both channel 1 and 2 are bad but 2 seems worse. Modern is so harsh it's unusable now but both channels seem to be affected.

Could be a bad LDR. Honestly, it sounds like a problem with the input...could be the jack or the cable connecting it to the board.

I'd suggest taking it to a tech in your area.

I was thinking input also. I think the cord that was plugged in got bumped when the amp took a hit. What is an LDR?

It's a type of switch, basically. I'm not even sure the Single Recs use them. Chances of them dying from a hit should be pretty slim though.

I'd start with the input jack and cable.

Have you tried a different instrument cable by any chance?

Yup, brand new cables too. Planet Waves Custom Pro cables. I'll have to get it in the shop to see what's going on. 3 weeks without my amp is gonna suck. Luckily I play bass too :)

Check that all of the pots work. My Express had a poorly soldered lead on the red channel's mid pot that didn't show up as a problem until the amp was about a year old. One day I noticed that it was guttless sounding. I adjusted the mid pot and nothing seemed to happen. I turned the treble and bass pots all the way down with the mid pot dimed and the amp was silent!

I removed the existing solder and resoldered the joint and it's been fine since.

I was looking at another post where someone was asking how to get their dual more Marshall sounding. It got me thinking about how my amp is sounding right now and I must say, it sounds very Marshall like. Especially running with el34's through my old Marshall cab. I wish I was going for a Marshall tone b/c my messed up Mesa is getting a pretty nice Marshall tone.

Back