Looks like I scored a MKIIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8or3

Reaction score
:D Not much info in the add, but after I verified Reverb, Simil-Class, EVM speaker and the serial# 14367 with the seller, I pulled the trigger.
Is a lot to pay for an amp like this I know, and I would have preferred the Imbuya/Wicker 2c+ on sale in the Boogie Classified's, but since we were unable to work out the payment details (Imbuya seller was unable to take Pay-Pal) I sprang on this one.
Can't wait for it to arrive.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220430415351

The late model Boogie badge is a little fishy, probably is a replacement, but the amp looks like it's in fine condition.
see 'ya, Jim

Looks great! If it wasn't such a stupid listing you should get the matching 'IIC+ cabinet' they've had going as well :)

Y'know what, I really like the combo of tolex and wicker, actually...possibly even more than hardwood!?! It's a really handsome amp, anyways.

lesterpaul said:
seller lives ten minutes from me-keep me posted-it is a female and I believe a lot of the merch. is coming out of Nashville
-if something goes south, I will unleash the Mesa Mafia !!

You are correct! She has told me that her warehouse is in Nashville and that is where the amp is at. I offered to fly out to pick it up (I am a pilot), but she is trying to work out a way for her partner to deliver it to me on his way to a N.C. guitar show rather than ship it.
She's been real helpful and I don't expect anything to go wrong. But thanks for the offer anyway :D

gts said:
Congrats Jim.

Well it might be a late model Boogie badge but it has the EVM badge on the bottom which one doesn't see all that often.

My thinking on the Boogie badge is that it could have been changed out to match the badge on the extension cab that was obviously mated to this amp, you can see it sitting behind the amp in the picture and in a separate listing (for $1250 :shock: ).
Maybe I'll get lucky and find the original badge laying in the bottom of the amp?? We shall see...
Jim

Hey Jim,
nice score and honestly I feel thats a very good price seeing it's a clean Original with a EVM.
As far as a original badge,just keep your eye out you might be able to find one...
Best Mesa amp out there!
Congrats :D
Richb

zebpedersen said:
Looks great! If it wasn't such a stupid listing you should get the matching 'IIC+ cabinet' they've had going as well :)

Y'know what, I really like the combo of tolex and wicker, actually...possibly even more than hardwood!?! It's a really handsome amp, anyways.

They are going to deliver the amp to me in person when they drive through Atlanta this weekend, I spoke with a fellow named Buck (he'll meet me here) and he asked if I would be interested in the extension cabinet. I explained how overpriced it was and
he asked if I'ld be interested @ $500? I explained that I really didn't want the cab, but that I'ld think on it for a while. He said that he'ld bring it with him for me to see if I liked it, and I could decide then. I'm thinking at this point that I might be able to buy the cab for $300??? (I put that figure in his head) If I can, I probably will. We shall see. :wink:
Jim

good move! show him other extension cabs on ebay to illustrate your point. Refer him to boogie websites such as the archives or the boogie files.

It would be a shame to split a pair produced at the same time - I think he's hoping as soon as you see the two together you won't be able to refuse :D

zebpedersen said:
It would be a shame to split a pair produced at the same time - I think he's hoping as soon as you see the two together you won't be able to refuse :D

I'm thinking you are probably correct.What I'm hoping is that he thinks I'm his best (last) shot and that he'll be in a mood to deal.
We'll see, I'm not really craving an extension cab, although I admit one that is matched to the amp would be worth looking at. :)
Jim

druckpig said:
I recently aquired a thiele extension cab 200 watt ev, I have a mkIIc+ in a combo . when I play the cab and combo together I plug the combo speaker and thiele both into the 4 0hm taps and there is a noticable drop in gain, the amp doesent have as much distortion available, I dont like this and I wasnt expecting it

I love the sound of the thiele on its own in the 8 ohm tap with the combo speaker disconnected or just the combo speaker in the 8 ohm tap but not together definitely not ..... it might be worth checking out how it sounds using them both together compared to using it on its own before plunking down for it ,you might like them together , I didnt, dont...

It sounds like you might have a problem with the 4 ohm tap of your output transformer.

Well, The amp arrived today :D
Brought it home and took it all apart for inspection prior to plugging it in.
DRG 7 on chassis along with M.B.'s initials and the plus (+) MB signed off in 04/85 (had to be one of the last ones built)
SN 143XX
passed the loop test
no burned spots on any of the circuit boards :D nor did I find any melted wires. Kinda dirty in there though....
RP-11A circuit board
105 PT
Crummy tubes (all Ruby's) (4) 6l6's and (5) 12ax7's
Vintage EVM speaker but not Mesa branded
It was all there, Reverb,Simuclass,EQ,Fan,(2) footswitchs,EVM Speaker

Cleaned up all the tube sockets installed a pair of used STR415's and a pair of Siemans EL34's in the outer sockets.
Sounded Goooood with my Strat, the Pull Deep seemed to fill out the single coil pickups real good and the sustain in lead mode seemed better than what I was getting out of my Gibsons with the IIB. Haven't tried them in it yet.
The Class A sounded pretty good too, I would say true to form, kind of bubbly, kind of like when you put the P/U selector of the Strat between two pickups, early break-up in the Rhythm channel, screaming in the lead channel.

While I was looking over the insides the large filter caps looked to be the newer Mesa branded (Blue) ones. Not Mallory's like the IIB had in it. There were still some older smaller electrolytic caps in there that probably should be replaced.
After playing it for about 45 minutes the amp started to emit a scratchy type noise simular to what a dirty pot would sound like, only without turning the pot. I also found a post-it note with Mesa's address with an RA# on it in the bottom of the amp.
Somebody was planning on having this fixed (MB ck'ed the SN# for me and the amp has never been returned to the factory)
I will follow thru on that (in a little while).

I had planned on sending it to MB anyway prior to returning it to service, so no big deal.

The owner of the extension cab pulled it off the market. Told Buck (guy that delivered it) that if he couldn't get $1000 for it he wouldn't sell it. Oh well....

I'm happy! Thanks for letting me share
Jim

thanks for the update Jim I've been following right along here. It's a great amp for sure regardless of the noise etc. I would give you this advice as I have done it twice and the time goes fast and I am so glad I work this way ... (chuckle)

pack it up and send it off Monday to 1317 Ross Street, Petaluma, CA

Do it right away, not "later"..

I'm happy for your score. It was money well spent in my view.

More stuff.....

I was able to fix the scratchy type noise . It was a tube. The amp sounds fine, in fact astonishing! It is a very bright amp and it has more tone shaping control (by far) than the MarkIIB. The fan is quieter, and the reverb sounds better.
The biggest difference I can describe is that the IIB seems warmer and at the same time more of an "in your face" type of amp.
The C+ seems more smoother/creamier with more sustain in all modes. They are both loud amps. With the C+ it is possible to get highs (ice pick in the ear highs) that are not possible with the IIB. At the same time I was able to warm the C+ up to really warm, smooth tone using the Strat and even more so with the Gibsons. The headroom for cleans seems greater with the C+. My Les Paul has such strong pick-ups that if you are not careful you will drive the Rhythm channel to distort (or get muddy) if turned up. The C+ seems to handle the Les Paul just fine! Really loud clean Rhythm with no mud! It's just what I've always wanted but figured was not available. Playing the Les Paul through the C+ (for Rhythm) sounds better than it does in my Lone Star! What's up with that? FWIW, the Strat sounds more like a Strat in the Lone Star, but it dosen't sound bad at all in the C+. In fact it sounds **** good. The "Pull Deep" fills out the single coil pick-ups just fine and the lead channel just allows the Strat to sing.
Great overdrive and sustain, Better than what I can get with that guitar using Zendrive or the Fulltone Fulldrive. Using the Strat with pedals is kind of frustrating, I can't get the kind of sustain or creamy overdrive that I can with the Gibsons. The C+ has no trouble making a Stratocaster sing like a violin or scream like an SG or Les Paul on fire. It's really very cool.
I could go on for quite a while, but you get the picture...... it's really a cool amp, and I too feel like it's money well spent. I am going to have to part with some stuff to pay for it, so be watching the classified's for some good deals on some good stuff.
Till then, see 'ya. Jim :wink:

Latest posts

Back