Looking for suggestions on a good guitar for me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin2354

Reaction score
I,m currently playing a jackson dk2m and i like it, but im still looking for a nice vintage guitar thats not gonna cost me 8000 but more in the area of 2000

Things im looking for in a guitar
jumbo frets
24frets
capable of a good heavy metal(metallica as an example)
capable of good shreader metal(malmsteen,rhoads for example)
Styles not the most important thing but hey id still like to look cool
I love that 80s look
I also love the floyd rose`s
Things i dislike in a guitar
Fenders of any sort(never feel right in my hands)

From what you described you might want to try an 80's Jackson USA with humbuckers and single coils. Some of those early Jackson's had the most incredible necks I have ever played. When you say vintage and your looking for a floyd with 24 jumbo frets, you cant beat a vintage Jackson. Some old USA made kramers as well. I have a Vintage guitar issue that spotlighted 80's style vintage shredder guitars, lot's of cool stuff from that era.

Hmm check the esps and 80s jackson usa, Anyone know much about the older PRS, I hear that pree 94 models 24 inch fret board is standard in eveyr model and that their guitars brought quite a few sick models back in the day, Anyone know of a few in my price range i might try and hunt down to play?

i'd say a Caparison Horus or Dellinger. theyre right under $2k and theyre built with high quality components. the Horus is 27frets with a shorter scale length neck and the Dellinger in 24frets with a longer scale length.

Are you looking for a vintage guitar to play or to collect, because most vintage guitars like fender and gibson play like crap IMO. Althogh I have played a few old les pauls early to mid 70's that sounded awsome. Some people like that old feel but I don't really care for it. I would pick up a copy of vintage guitar magazine and look at what's available and what you like. There are tons of retailers in that mag with alot of pricing.

http://www.vintageguitar.com

You might consider the Ibanez line. I found a mint Roadstar in surf green dirt cheap. It is, however, Fender inspired in shape.

Jumbo frets, buckers, a very simple pickguardless axe with two knobs, two pups. The varieties are staggering with Ibanez. A lot of trashed ones out there but even the mint ones are so undervalued. Worst thing I can say about them is they have an uneven shape on the bottom which makes them prone to tipping when balanced, say, gently against an amp.

James Tyler and Anderson guitars are pretty good for an improved classic design, along with Suhr. For more of a custom look check out Chafin Guitars.

Old PRS's are nothing out of this world. They mainly had better looking tops because they weren't as mass produced, had a sweet switch instead of a tone knob, different pickups, and had a smaller neck heel (but it caused dead spots). I think the aura around them is mostly just because they're vintage. The "mojo" on them may be from the fact that the wood has dried up more over time and resonates better.

My personal opinion is that a current PRS is just as good, if not constructed better. I'm not a vintage PRS junkie though. Who knows.

for your budget I would recommend a jackson sl1 or a esp m2. But of want to shell out a bit more i would recommend a Parker. They have the best neck for shred plus ridiculous fret access so those e major sweeps on the 24th fret are no problem. But i am i little biased towards parkers. :D

AustinK said:
for your budget I would recommend a jackson sl1 or a esp m2. But of want to shell out a bit more i would recommend a Parker. They have the best neck for shred plus ridiculous fret access so those e major sweeps on the 24th fret are no problem. But i am i little biased towards parkers. :D

my caparison's fret access will make your parker's fret access cry, mine is so awsome i can do sweeps to the 27th fret. ha, so there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jk

If you are looking for that 80's look, check out some of the old American made Kramers. If you are lucky enough to find one, the Nightswan was a killer stick. It had 24 frets, original floyd rose and had a mahogany body. Very sweet! The old PRS guitars are not going to be Floyd Rose equipped and are most likely out of youe $2,000 price range.

Elpelotero said:
Old PRS's are nothing out of this world. They mainly had better looking tops because they weren't as mass produced, had a sweet switch instead of a tone knob, different pickups, and had a smaller neck heel (but it caused dead spots). I think the aura around them is mostly just because they're vintage. The "mojo" on them may be from the fact that the wood has dried up more over time and resonates better.

My personal opinion is that a current PRS is just as good, if not constructed better. I'm not a vintage PRS junkie though. Who knows.

I dont like PRS much either, but the 80's ones are WAY better than the new stuff.

I picked up a 98 Les Paul double cut w/24 frets and since I put in the 57 Classic Plus pickups it is killer. Looks great w/ flamed maple top and I found mine for a grand, excellent condition. For me, there is nothing like a Les Paul neck and the tone of a good Paul always hits you right in the gut. Good luck.
Art

Latest posts

Back