Looking for some info on 1985 Boogie Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfisher3380

Reaction score
I may have an opportunity to trade one of my amps for a 1985 Boogie Mark III. From the pics it looks like a version without an on-board 5-band equalizer. Wondering if anyone can give me info on this amp - mostly how it would likely compare to a current Mark IV in terms of sound quality - as well as how reliable it is likely to be in view of it being >20 years old.

Thanks a lot!

From a reliabiliity stand point , I'd take it over any other maker's 20+ year old amp ! As long as the amp wasn't soaked in salt water and was reasonably well maintained .

What are you giving in trade for it ? Is the mk III a head or combo ?

As for comparing it to a mkIV you are comparing opposite ends of the Mesa 's 3 channel amp's development .

Buddy said:
From a reliabiliity stand point , I'd take it over any other maker's 20+ year old amp ! As long as the amp wasn't soaked in salt water and was reasonably well maintained .

What are you giving in trade for it ? Is the mk III a head or combo ?

As for comparing it to a mkIV you are comparing opposite ends of the Mesa 's 3 channel amp's development .

Thanks for the info.
I would be trading a Fuchs Lucky 7 head and $400 canadian. His amp is a combo with the EV speaker and simulclass. Does this sound reasonable to you or is it too much to spend? The Lucky 7 is nice, just not my type of sound - I'd love to be able to sell it or trade it plus cash for a newer MkIII or MkIV but it doesn't appear there's a deal like that lurking about.

Thanks!

Tough to say . I'd check to see what the Fooks goes for used on ebay or music stores . Also check out any markIII's/Iv's pricing etc .

Personally , I'd hang loose and wait for a IV head & a theile cab . Much easier on the spine & more versatile for channel switching .

Have you auditioned a Boog yet ? Definitely not a plug n' play , it takes some tweaking ... I'm still finding different tones 20 + years into mine .

One of my first Boogies was an 85 black dot Mark III head that was modified to red stripe specs. To this day, that amp still rates as my favorite. Unfortunately I had to sell the head, but think about it all the time. I loved the clean and lead channels, and with the graphic EQ I could obtain many different shades of sound. However, you could say the same for the Mark IV. As much as I love the Mark III, I do have to agree with a previous post, it may be easier to go with a Mark IV head and a Thiele. Then you will have a truly powerful and portable set-up. I just purchased another Thiele, and love the sound with my Mark I head. If you want portability with your power, you can't beat Boogie.

Back