Looking for cheapest Boogie that is closest to tone of MK1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimDep

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for cheapest Mesa that is closest to tone of MK1. It can be low watts, as this would be for mostly home practice or small gigs (if I start playing out again). Is there is a less expensive option that would have a similar reverb setup as the MK 1?

Mostly love the early Santana sustain and lush reverb he got with his back in the early 70's when he 1st went with the Boogie.

Thanks

Would have recommended the Studio 22(+), but the reverb isn't that great. I replaced the small reverb tank with a full size one, and it makes a lot of difference.

tonejam said:
Would have recommended the Studio 22(+)
+1
When I was trying out my .50 Caliber+ with my Ibanez RG470, I somehow dialed in a real close tone to Santana. I was totally shocked. I was in a studio room at the music store and almost opened the door, wanting to yell to everyone to come in and hear it. I'm thinking the preamp is practically the same between the 50Cal+ and Studio 22+, just different power sections (6L6 vs. EL84).

Mark 1's and their several remakes that have come out over the years aren't that expensive, comparatively speaking to other vintage boogies. Why not get the real deal?

Yeah I would check out used Mark I, all the way the Mark IIB and SOB Boogies.

Maybe amp techs here could confirm or rebuttal this but I think Boogies up to the Mark IIB the stack tone were close to Fender's (little more midrange on Boogie though). Boogies after the stack tone are much different.

tonejam said:
Would have recommended the Studio 22(+), but the reverb isn't that great. I replaced the small reverb tank with a full size one, and it makes a lot of difference.

+2....I had one for years, and that's a ripping little amp. GREAT lead channel, just was difficult getting a good balance between clean and lead. A recent mod can now take care of that.

Al

Thanks,

I'll keep my eyes open, I just don't see the deals others seem to spot. I learned that the MIIB is the ceiling before the circuit starts changing,
that I didn't know.

So is the consensus that if I can get a studio.22, that it can get close to a MK1 tone at low volume with a larger reverb tank, as in longer springs?

I have a Hammond AO-35 Reverb amp (with a necklace reverb unit) which is a stand alone amp that I could dedicate to a guitar amp. I wonder if that would work, or is it too different than the reverb in a MK 1 ? I don't really expect anyone to know, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway. : )

Is this JimDep from the "Cafe" ?

Mentioned earlier in this post was the SOB. You won't get the tone you're looking for at low volume but if you drive the amp you'll find that tone in there.

Carlos' tone was different in the era you mention, and in my opinion it's not all because of his gear.

Juan

yeah, I've got my eyes open on the SOB, too. Not having any luck there either, so I'm just checking to see if there's any cheaper
alternatives.
Besides the gear, what do you think contributed to Carlos' tone back in 1972 through 74, Juan?

LOL

dodger916 said:
His hands and fingers...

JimDep said:
yeah, I've got my eyes open on the SOB, too. Not having any luck there either, so I'm just checking to see if there's any cheaper
alternatives.
Besides the gear, what do you think contributed to Carlos' tone back in 1972 through 74, Juan?

Being from the "old school" of Fenders and Santana used Fenders at Woodstock ('69) although rumored that's when he started using Boogies, the Mark I is closest what tone you are looking for.

The Mark IIB (with Yamaha 2000 guitar) is Santana's Zebop era.

Mentioned here is Studio .22 I own one and not even close to Fender. Maybe the lay-off the preamp gain and over driving the power tubes you get a kind of "sustain" that Carlos got. But the stack tone is different.

Yes, the Mark II and Mark III (as well as Mark IIC) are different animals. The stack tone changed. I was about to trade in my Mark IIB for a Mark III but the tone was way, way different. Its as though MESA was going in a different direction.

I know ones are going to argue that their Mark IV or Mark V could get a Fender like tone but depending on your "Fender" tolerance and what is accpetable as "close to Fender", I find something just a bit different tonewise. My opinion though.

gts said:
LOL

dodger916 said:
His hands and fingers...

JimDep said:
alternatives.

Yeah, that is definitely a good one!

All kidding aside (maybe dodger916 wasn't kidding,) tone is subjective, and while I love Eric Johnson's guitar tone someone else might not like it at all. I love Pat Metheny's guitar tone and there are some who probably hate it. I say this that it may be understood that we all have an opinion of what is and isn't good tone.

A couple years back Carlos took his original snake skin Boogie back on the road with him, and if you compare what he sounded like on the Lotus album from '73 where he's using the snake skin Boogie to what he sounds like today through his Mark 1 and Dumble, to my ears he sounds much closer to today's Mark 1/Dumble combination than he did in '73. In the videos where he's demoing the new Snake King amp Carlos sounds the same to my ears as what he sounds like through his current Mark 1/Dumble rig.

So what's changed? His guitars have changed; SG, Les Paul, L6S, Yamaha, PRS, occasional Strat. The different instruments certainly have had a role in shaping his tone (I think of the L6S / Boogie combination on Borboletta) but in my opinion the change has mostly to do with how he has changed as a human being.

Juan

RR said:
Being from the "old school" of Fenders and Santana used Fenders at Woodstock ('69) although rumored that's when he started using Boogies, the Mark I is closest what tone you are looking for.
Not trying to be a smart-***-know-it-all, but I thought you might be interested to know that Carlos used a Gallien Krueger solid state amp for the Woodstock gig. You can Google it and find out about the particular model -- it was a 200 watter I believe. You're right about him mainly using Twins in that era though; and reportedly he made the move to some early Boogie (possibly the Princeton Boost) around the time of Abraxus but Twins were still used live for a while. I agree with others on the thread that the S.O.B is probably the way to go for MK 1 tones on the cheap. All the other Marks will get you something pretty close though. The Calibre .50 does a great Carlos tone on the drive channel. I can even pull a good Carlos-y sound out of my Rocket 44.

Yes, he did use a GK at Woodstock.
Carlos didn't go exclusively to Boogies until probably Caravanserai, though I could be wrong. Carlos had good tone using the GK, good tone using the Twins, good tone using Boogies and good tone using Dumble. He's always had a distinct tone, though through different eras there are characteristics in his tone that have changed, and that's the point I was hoping to make in my previous post.

Juan

wildschwein said:
RR said:
Not trying to be a smart-***-know-it-all, but I thought you might be interested to know that Carlos used a Gallien Krueger solid state amp for the Woodstock gig. You can Google it and find out about the particular model -- it was a 200 watter I believe. You're right about him mainly using Twins in that era though; and reportedly he made the move to some early Boogie (possibly the Princeton Boost) around the time of Abraxus but Twins were still used live for a while. I agree with others on the thread that the S.O.B is probably the way to go for MK 1 tones on the cheap. All the other Marks will get you something pretty close though. The Calibre .50 does a great Carlos tone on the drive channel. I can even pull a good Carlos-y sound out of my Rocket 44.
Not at all trying to be a smart-***-know-it-all :wink: since you stated your source. I don't mind anyone correcting me so long they state their source.

I just did not want to bring out the debate again about Carlos using Boogie as way back as far back as Woodstock. Perhaps there was a Gallien Krueger mixed in with the Acoustic Bass amps that I didn't see watching "Woodstock".

Yeah I agress these moderate gain Boogie amps could get similar Santana's sustining tone. I mentioned Mark I and perhaps SOB because I find that the stack tone are similar to that of Fender's.

But I agree with dodger916, a lot has to do with his hands and fingers.

Supersonico, now that makes sense about Boogie's new Snake King Series now that you mentioned Carlos is touring with his snake-skin Mark I as well as his Dumbles. I saw Carlos Santana concert in the early 2000. He was using his Dumbles / PRS but one song he brought out his Les Paul. He did not play "Winning" so didn't see him bring out his Strat. :wink:

Outside of his tone and style of playing (aka His hands and fingers...) I read somewhere that Carlos looks for the "sweet spot" on every stage when performing.
The "sweet spot" is supposedly where he can stand and get certain notes to have the longest "feedback/ sustain" for the particular setup he's using during that performance.
I've never watched a video to see if the above is true. Meaning watch and see if he goes to and stands in the same place for those long sustaining notes during any particular performance.
It'd be interesting to see if he does the above. It might add some legitimacy to the rumor.
And for the person inquiring about Carlos' tone, it might offer some insight as to how he might achieve those long sustaining notes too.

Not at all trying to be a smart-***-know-it-all :wink: since you stated your source. I don't mind anyone correcting me so long they state their source.
I just did not want to bring out the debate again about Carlos using Boogie as way back as far back as Woodstock. Perhaps there was a Gallien Krueger mixed in with the Acoustic Bass amps that I didn't see watching "Woodstock".
Can't seem to find a pic anywhere on the Net of the GMT 266a but you can download this .pdf and there are pictures of it in there -- they called it the spaceship:
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...Wv94AI&usg=AFQjCNF-IHIkTtU0JTnu0dOMkz3dwmnN7w
Here are all my other sources:
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86163&start=15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallien-Krueger
http://www.gallien-krueger.com/about-us/
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-29/1778515-
At exactly 3.55 in the vid you can see the white coily cable from his guitar plugged into it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBLJAIAdQRo
The one here to the left -- the GMT 266a had an angled front -- you can see a mic on the cab underneath it:
santana-areas-carabello.jpg

Just to the right of the drummer:
maxresdefault.jpg

Similar shot; you can also see the cable plugged in here too. I'm not sure what the Acoustic amp/cabinet was for but you can see the Leslie cab nearby too -- could have been for keys -- may have also been a slave or extension cab for Carlos:
santana-young2.jpg

RR said:

The Mark IIB (with Yamaha 2000 guitar) is Santana's Zebop era.

Mentioned here is Studio .22 I own one and not even close to Fender. Maybe the lay-off the preamp gain and over driving the power tubes you get a kind of "sustain" that Carlos got. But the stack tone is different.

Yes, the Mark II and Mark III (as well as Mark IIC) are different animals. The stack tone changed. I was about to trade in my Mark IIB for a Mark III but the tone was way, way different. Its as though MESA was going in a different direction.

I know ones are going to argue that their Mark IV or Mark V could get a Fender like tone but depending on your "Fender" tolerance and what is accpetable as "close to Fender", I find something just a bit different tonewise. My opinion though.

Thanks for your insight. Being I heard Santana live during the 1970's many times, I was just getting started playing in bands and also paid attention to Carlos' sound, trying to notice both his amp and guitar changes.
I recognized a difference in his tones, but I didn't know where to draw the line from where his AMP tone began to change. It was easy to note the tone differences in his guitar choices but not as easy from one model of a Boogie to the next.

He made many changes starting from the SG/ Fender Twin combinations to the LP / Twin to the LP/ Boogie Mk1 all within a couple years or so. Through this period, I loved his tone (even the Woodstock solid state GK amp wasn't too bad. The Acoustic 360 was all David Brown's bass.) Every time I saw Santana through the early and mid 1970's, he had 2 Twins stacked and a footswitch to toggle between the Fenders and Boogie for his lead tone.

My favorite Carlos tone of all was his Les Paul through the Mesa Mk1 when I saw the "Lotus" Santana lineup live. I noticed a subtle change in 1974 when Carlos started using the L6-S. It was still very good to my ear, but not as rich as the LP, IMO.

When Amigos came out and they went on tour again, Carlos was using the Yamaha and I don't know what model Boogie it was, I think it was a separate head and cabinets when I saw them. Based on my personal taste, I didn't care for his tone nearly as much. It sounded more distorted and less organic..IMHO.

From there, based on what I heard live, his tone drifted further away from what he had during the Lotus period. Once the PRS came in, I lost interest. I just wanted to remember that incredible tone he had 10 years earlier.

So "RR", thanks for letting me know about the MK IIB (and Yamaha guitar) during the Zebop, maybe even Marathon years. That's not the tone that wowed me.

Really, RR and company, this is the amp info I'm trying to figure out, so I know what to avoid. Without being Carlos and not having his fingers and toes, I won't "be" him ( I can live with that), but there is something special about the Mk1 and humbuckers. I played in a band in the late 1970's with a guy who used a Gibson 335 through a Mk I and got a similar exceptional tone even playing in smaller clubs. That reverb, dialed in properly is a one-of-a-kind tone to my ears. So, thanks again to all who reply to help my with my quest. (BTW, I never saw a snakeskin cover on Carlos' Mk 1's back then, always the cream tolex) I remember his Twins had the Tie dye grill cloth.

Latest posts

Back