looking for a heavy metal tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusman75089

Reaction score
hey i just bought a triple rec used from guitar center. i have heard different guys playing off these things that have that real heavy metal sound. i'm playing off of a jackson king v usa with emg 81/85 pickups into the amp with delay in the loop. i got a 4x12 mesa cab. the sound seems to me to be real dry and brittle sometimes fuzzy. i was wondering if it might be the preamp tubes. it still has the stock tubes in it. can anyone help me.

gain 1-2 oclock. treble 2 oclock. mid 12 oclock. bass 12-1 colock. precense 9-12 oclock, modernmode diode rect. channel 3

if u want a tighter sound use an overdrive with no gain vol. maxed(lower the amp gain a little)

wildrat666 said:
gain 1-2 oclock. treble 2 oclock. mid 12 oclock. bass 12-1 colock. precense 9-12 oclock, modernmode diode rect. channel 3

if u want a tighter sound use an overdrive with no gain vol. maxed(lower the amp gain a little)

+1 wildrat666

6l6 mesa with ecc83 mesa mostly in modern mode on diodes and bold. pre-9to10 oclock, mid-3oclock, bass-1 oclock, treb-1 oclock, master- 10 oclock

rusman75089 said:
6l6 mesa with ecc83 mesa mostly in modern mode on diodes and bold. pre-9to10 oclock, mid-3oclock, bass-1 oclock, treb-1 oclock, master- 10 oclock

where's your presence at? also you might want to consider lowering your mids a touch.

I would say you might have some bad preamp tubes if it sounds thin, especially with your mids that high. I would look into some new preamp tubes and possibly an OD if you want to really tight heavy chugging type high gain.

wildrat666 said:

I'm running my Vintage on channel 3 and it sounds killer but i've heard a lot of people running modern on 3 rather than 4... someone care to explain why?

hey man try a eq pedal inthe effects loop i have a 2 channel dual rec and when i use the effects loop i run a eq pedal into it otherwise keep the presence and mids around nine oclock
i havent played a 3 channel one though
good luck man

Elixir said:
wildrat666 said:

I'm running my Vintage on channel 3 and it sounds killer but i've heard a lot of people running modern on 3 rather than 4... someone care to explain why?

Channel 4 has more bass and gain on tap than Channel 3. If you try and clone them sound wise you'll find slightly different settings between channel 3 and channel 4. I prefer running modern on channel 4 because the extra bass and gain really lends itself (for me anyway) to get a really sweet lead tone when I use an OD infront. The increased gain really adds to the sustain and the increased bass adds some depth. Its definitely not a soling type lead but for some more drawn out type lead work (think Billy Howerdel, Adam Jones, Steven Wilson), it sounds awesome.

I actually really enjoy the Raw mode on Channel 3... with the right boost infront and the gain turned to around 10-11 oclock, mids at 3, treble at 1, bass at 12, presence at 10 and master at 12 I get some great Slash type tones.

For me I do not use the presence above 9 o'clock on modern.
Above that describes the sound you are talking about in the first post.
I do not have much experience with 3 channel DR. I have a Tremoverb, but have played all of them at one time or a other ....

Like I said before do not add anything to the guitar/amp/cab till you get this sound right..... once you do that worry about EQ's, effects , whatever ....

Back