looking for a great wah!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriz_batman

Reaction score
i need a good/great wah that is good for anything from clean stuff to trash metal. i plan on using the pedal on the Road King. Any suggestions? Please

get a cheap dunlop; and mod it to hendrix specs which will cost you like a dollar in parts and fifteen minutes time you can also add an led and make it true bypass.

i did this and turned my wah into a better wah then my friends hendrix wah which cost almost twice as much

Hot wahs on the market - Buddy Guy Dunlop signature wah and of course the Fulltone Clyde custom wah or whatever. I have a Dimebag Crybaby From Hell which is nice with its options but I seem to lose my settings on it quickly, it can get a little confusing.

Fulltone Clyde. No contest. Great for bass, too!

Got tons of mojo.

The Deluxe has more bells and whistles.

Look up Gig-Fx Megawah or Kilowah. I have a Kilowah coming soon. Can't wait to try it out.

Morley Bad Horsie II used to be my fave. The GT-8's is decent at best, but it is all inclusive so i've stuck with it for convenience...

I suggest true bypass for whatever you get, as the wahs I have used that weren't sucked tone (in the treble spectrum) terribly when off. I don't know if they all do, but that was my experience.

I know there was the "true bypass overkill' thread recently, and its true that some types of effects don't seem to change it much/at all when off, at least to my ears, but wahs aren't one of those.

I just googled and it is explained here:

"Tone Sucking (loss of treble in the bypassed position)

The bypass switching in wahs up through the mid 90's used an SPDT switch. The switch does not provide for true bypass switching, so the input of the effect is connected to the input jack at all times. This means that the wah pedal input loads down the guitar signal, and worse, loads it more at treble frequencies than at bass frequencies. The sound gets duller and less lively. There are two cures, and they work about equally well. First, you can put in a DPDT true bypass switch. Second, you can add a buffer in front of the wah to keep it from loading down the guitar signal. There is an article on how to build the buffer onto the internal wah printed circuit board at GEO."

as far as personal taste, I love my Buddah wah. true bypass, excellent sweep/range, non adjustable (no more knobs please, just look at my rig) and its got a tight purple powder coat to boot...

GIG4FUN said:
the Fulltone Clyde "deluxe" is a true bypass wah. I don't think the normal Clyde is. It takes the upgraded pedal to get that.

http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

The 'regular' - that is un-deluxe - Fulltone Clyde IS true bypass.

:)

And. The Budda really is a great wah. I prefer the Clyde, however. Just different flavors, really.

camsna said:
GIG4FUN said:
the Fulltone Clyde "deluxe" is a true bypass wah. I don't think the normal Clyde is. It takes the upgraded pedal to get that.

http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

The 'regular' - that is un-deluxe - Fulltone Clyde IS true bypass.

:)

And. The Budda really is a great wah. I prefer the Clyde, however. Just different flavors, really.

k, cool, from their published data it had listed that as one of the benefits of the deluxe.

I love my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe a lot :) I get a lot out of it. I also use it to tone shape on some songs. I don't rock it back/forth all the time :)

Do you enjoy DIY kits?

If so, check out the BYOC Wah kit.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/wah.html

I replaced the guts on my CryBaby with the BYOC drop in kit, and added a Whipple Inductor. I am loving this wah. The wah is very tweakable, there's trim pots for bass, mids, "Q", and gain, as well as the option of buffer or no buffer (switchable if you like) and a trim pot for buffer volume.

It took some tweaking, but now my wah sounds exactly like I wanted it too.

Dom

ever since GTS turned me onto the budda wah, it's become my alltime favorite.

i just purchased a second one!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-Rack-Wah?sku=151130

the ultimate wah period!! I've used countless wahs and this one does anything you want it to and its true bypass. The only negative thing about this setup is the price.

Latest posts

Back