Looking for a boost pedal....down to two choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chris ! I really liked the pedal in LP mode with the drive turned to about 9 oclock. I ran the gain on the DR at about noon and hard plenty of gain with the pedal out front. i usually use a Tubescreamer or the Xotic BB. The BB tends to compress the signal a lot more than I realized when I a/b'd it to the OCD.

The Fulltone box it comes in says in bold letters OCD overdrive/distortion pedal. The one page manual states " ...the OCD works great as an overdrive........(it) excels at creating its own distortion with all the chime of a class A amp......"

If I refer to it as a distortion pedal it is simply because it is marketed that way. It certainly produces much more gain than my Tubescreamer but no where near as much " distortion" as my Keeley Modded Ds-1 ( yes, a distortion pedal !). If the pedal is not a true distortion pedal then I don't know why Fulltone has it written on the packaging. Hell, call it a horseshoe if you like but this pedal is unique compared to the other pedals I own.

i'm all about the fulldrive 2 and the fulltone fat boost. i run them both 18v and it's killer. they make any amp sound good...but then again, that's just my ears.

stompboxfreak72,

RE: "The Fulltone box it comes in says in bold letters OCD overdrive/distortion pedal.". Yep, and that's misleading, given that it really isn't a distortion pedal. That's why I asked if you might have figured that out anyway, despite the misleading ad copy. IOW, you wouldn't be the first person to be confused by that, myself included.

I think the reason Mike Fuller packages it that way is that lots of people reviewed his beta test model and told him that it had so much Marshall-sounding gain that they didn't even need any gain from their amp, the sound was already that good. Which is, of course, a great compliment to an overdrive pedal. It's a great unit, and I hope you have fun with it.

I got the chance to play through the OCD today, and I have to say that it's a very good sounding pedal. It's leagues above the DS-1. From what I've read, I was a little worried about how much gain it would actually have, but there's quite a range on it. You can't get Dual Recto distortion with it, but it's quite impressive for an overdrive. Boosts my solos pretty well.

The OCD gets a thumbs up from me.

Chris McKinley said:
stompboxfreak72,

RE: "The Fulltone box it comes in says in bold letters OCD overdrive/distortion pedal.". Yep, and that's misleading, given that it really isn't a distortion pedal. That's why I asked if you might have figured that out anyway, despite the misleading ad copy. IOW, you wouldn't be the first person to be confused by that, myself included.

I think the reason Mike Fuller packages it that way is that lots of people reviewed his beta test model and told him that it had so much Marshall-sounding gain that they didn't even need any gain from their amp, the sound was already that good. Which is, of course, a great compliment to an overdrive pedal. It's a great unit, and I hope you have fun with it.

+1 Chris. I think you nailed that one. The OCD has more gain ( well, usable gain.....unlike the ZW OD that is useless after putting the drive barely on !) then most overdrives but it surely isn't a dedicated distortion pedal as you stated. I have been playing around with the OCD mixed with an Analogman Maxon Tubescreamer and it is great. Usually stacking overdrives makes a big ugly mess but the Tubescreamer set with the drive nearly off then run into the OCD seems to fill out the Mids and all the other harmonics that the DR seems to lose.

Last thing : put the Fish n Chips EQ in the loop a few months ago and could hear a difference but was torn on it. Its taken some time to fiddle with but I will never play without an EQ pedal in the loop again. I got an MXR 10 band and it is really helping my tone. Your posts on EQ settings have opened a whole new sonic world . Thanks bro !

NP, man....I'm just here to help. The more people have control over their sound, the more choices they have and the more they can be creative with it.

I have been using the Bosta Grande for a fairly transparent boost.I also have an original Pro-Co Rat and like it but it is a dirty boost for sure.
I like the Boosta, and cant wait to play it thru my LSC, due to arrive anytime.I ordered in January.

Gonna have try rhe others.
Vinnyk

Latest posts

Back