lonestars or road king?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McNasty

Reaction score
obviously i am new to the forum and i have read as much as i could but, wow, there is a lot of good info on here to take in. sorry if this topic has been covered but i wanted to know does the road king cover both of the lonestars? i love both the classic and the special but if the roadking is an exact duplicate and it will save me a few hundred (yeah its funny add up the lonestar and a lonestar classic head units and two 2x12 cabs and it is only a couple hundred more than the road king head and 2x12 cab) why not go for that? then again...it would be hot to run both the lonestars at once...

Well, the Special utilizes EL84 tubes, which seperates it from the Classic and Roadking. The awaited Roadking II is to share the Lonestar Classic's cleans and reverbs. With that said, it would have to come down to what type of gain sound you'd be after in order to choose between the two or three. BTW, welcome aboard!

you know, i knew that and never even entered it into my equation. what a jackass. thanks jbird.
as for gain, i might like a good john petrucci or eric johnson tone but i can't see myself utilizing it very much. on the other hand, i can't really say i am a jazz, blues, rock or country guy because i enjoy playing them all so much. although, my only axe is an american standard strat...

Also the Lone Star Special is a class A amp. It has a sound/feel all it's own. The new Road King will have a Lonestar Classic clean and reverb. So, if you are looking to get that sound plus the high gain, you'd probably want to go with the series 2 Road King. You'll have both worlds covered, plus you will have the ability to switch to different tube combinations with the RK.

The LSC is a great sounding amp in it's own right. If possible, play through them to help you make your decision. The series 2 Road King probably has a pretty good waiting list on it, so it may take a little while for you to get one. Like jbird said, it just depends on what type of gain structure you're after. All the best, whichever way you choose.

the clean on the original roadking is FAR from bad, especially considering all the other sounds it has, but it doesent touch a loanstar clean.

They say the RKII will, but I'll believe it when I hear it.

Ya'll beat me to it :wink: I concur with everything said here, welcome to the board..... What kind of music do you play? That might help us give suggestions too.

i studied classical for the last two years so my skills when plugged in have gone down the toilet. now that i have dusted off the strat, man i am all over the place. one month i can't take zappa's hot rats out of my cd player and the next it will be some random prince album. currently i try to jam out with any medeski martin and wood cd but they are pretty intense.
i worship the same tone gods as any of you guys but i am not trying to emulate anyone. and i am really not into playing metal. some of that stuff is awesome to listen too and maybe play a lick from here and there but i can't see myself in a metal band at all.
thanks so much for your help fellas

Latest posts

Back