lonestar with el34s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me I don't care for EL-34 clean tone even though its good in the Lonestar. Channel 2 is awesome with EL's though. The 6L6 clean tone in this amp is perfect for my needs and channel 2 with 6L6s took some tweakin' but its all good know. I had similiar results with 6V6's in regards to the clean lacking and the dirty sound was bad ***, like EL-34's. This is just my opinion based on my needs. There are plenty of people stoked on the EL34 tone in the Lonestar. The Lonestar is one bad mofo 8)

It seems that trying to get one amp to be all things is asking a little to much maybe, it is tough trying to decide where the balance is. i love the cleans with the 6l6, but i also like the bluesy sound of the ace, i was trying to work a compromise by switching tubes on occasion. this would be for my own playing pleasure not gigging

^^^ I hear ya bro! Thats why I have the LS and Ace :) and use a A/B/Y. The Lonestar is much better for blues in my opinion, especially Tweed setting.

No way to describe it, man. EL34s and 6L6s have different characters, to be sure. But you can't even generalize that because each amp has its own tonal character.

And to screw things up even further, each tube has IT's own tone ...FWIW, I changed the ELs in mine to another brand and suddenly the amp was "right," whereas if I were not already familiar with tube changes, I'd have thought EL amps just suck. To compare which tube/amp combo you want, there is no substitution for plugging them in and hearing for yourself. Sorry, but hope that helps you. :)

Edward

why did i have a funny feeling that 2 amps were necessary to get both sounds as they should be. thx for the confomation. i will start with the lonestar,(i think) . i just don't know if i can sleep at night thinking of my lp & the ace. i must have that sound , you know the one,( gary moore..still got the blues...) will ask for advice in hook up set up when both are aquired. thx

I prefer wo LSC one with 34 and one with 6l6. Better than anything. I swicth between the amp heads and cab. The 34 in the LSC is far warmer and better than the aweful ace for my tastes. The ace is the worst 34 amp I ever had at one point. I love mesa but the ace was not great for me

Heres my set up...

6L6 amp LSC.... clean 1st channel 100 watts lots of headroom, not much breakup
second channel lots of gain 6l6 style 50 watts. no drive swicth on though. Just a boost in front to drive it hard. fat 6l6 tone.

34 LSC amp... channel one breaking up crunch 50 watts. Great ac/dc like tone
2nd channel drive on plus gain. 34 maddness. wramer and sweeter than the ace. use with humbucker guitars.

cant play pool with a rop said:
^^^ I hear ya bro! Thats why I have the LS and Ace :) and use a A/B/Y. The Lonestar is much better for blues in my opinion, especially Tweed setting.

+1
Here is my setup;

RigSmall.jpg

I plan on trying the factory 6L6s in the Lone Star when I receive it, but lately 6L6s feel a little too dark and bassy and I like 6V6s for vintage-like tones so I'll be throwing in some Tung-Sol 6V6s.

The Lone Star should be great for one project I have in mind, but may not sound modern enough for another project (after considering EL34s or KT77s).

If the Lone Star "isn't quite there" for the modern tones then I'll probably look into a Splawn with KT88s.

If I need to I'll run two amps at once via a Lehle Dual SGoS (sharing a Line6 Echo Pro stereo delay in the loops), but I'm kind of hoping each amp for each project will be perfect. :lol: :wink: Might even add a Dual Recto if I need it. :lol: :wink:

I just got my LSC last month, having been a devout Marshall guy for a long time (but getting tired of dragging around the half-stack). I was excited about the easy tube swap feature, and I tried it almost immediately with a set of Mesa-branded EL34s (Sovtecs, I reckon).

To my surprise, the EL34s were a disappointment. Compared to the 6L6s, they were flat and colorless. I switched back after one night of wanking on them, and I'll keep them around for another good burn-session; but I was surprised at how little they gave, compared to the responsiveness of my old Marshall.

The 6L6s, on the other hand, have been a dream and actually I have been able to dial up a pretty good Marshall clone tone with them. Not quite the same breakup, but with a really similar "crust" on top, and super responsive.

So, personally, I'm happy with the 6L6s, even though I bought the thing with the swap in mind.

Hello:

I have an "older" LSC head. I bought a "blended pair" of JJ's, which are two 6L6's and two EL34's with the same current draw, from Bob at Eurotubes. I put the 34's in the outside sockets and the 6L6's in the inside sockets. I put the bias switch on EL34 and the power to Tweed.

I run the main channel at 100W and Channel 2 at 50W. It really is the best of both worlds. I've had them in place for about 6 months now. Practice all the time with the set up and have run it a 7 gigs now. No problems at all, and many compliments on the tone.

jenks

Latest posts

Back