Lonestar vs Fender Princeton

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a loaded question but I'd like to know if a Lonestar Classic/Special combo can pull off the same lush reverb of a Fender Princeton Reissue. I absolutely LOVED the rich reverb on my PRRI but I had to end up selling it because the thing rattled on lower notes something awful and a trip to an authorized fender repair shop was unable to offer an "authorized repair" for it. Will a Lonestar combo capture the same 3D quality clean sound and lush reverb that the Princeton had? My Mark V half-stack, while having great cleans, does not come close to the 3D quality of the little Princeton but I'm wondering if that has more to do with the closed-back 4x12 vs the open back combo. Any thoughts if a Lonestar captures the same blackface clean sound and quality reverb?

FWIW, the Electra Dyne has a huge 3D clean tone with lush reverb. It's brilliant. The Lonestar Special also has a great clean tone but I can't even recall if it has reverb.

(And you get two marshall inspired crunch tones to boot)

I ended up going with a Deluxe Reverb. I love my Mark V and the Lonestar was nice but it was no where in the same league as the blackface fenders at lower volumes.

I am looking for a Mesa amp with awesome cleans and a great gain channel. I kinda hate to hear that about the Lonestar because I've heard such great reviews about the clean channel. I have a Deluxe Reverb also, and I've yet to find another amp that comes close to having a clean tone that's as good. Also, it makes a wonderful blank canvas for your overdrive pedals. I found a good deal on a Rect-o-verb and thought about trading my DRRI for it. So last night I went and played my friend's ROV. The Deluxe just blew away the clean channel. Also, the DRRI with a good overdrive pedal sounded way better than the ROV's gain channels. I guess I need to try a Electradyne or a Royal Atlantic. I am actually biased towards Mesa amps and I want to find a Mesa amp. I want a 50/100 watt amp with 2 channels.

Hollis said:
I am looking for a Mesa amp with awesome cleans and a great gain channel. I kinda hate to hear that about the Lonestar because I've heard such great reviews about the clean channel. I have a Deluxe Reverb also, and I've yet to find another amp that comes close to having a clean tone that's as good. Also, it makes a wonderful blank canvas for your overdrive pedals. I found a good deal on a Rect-o-verb and thought about trading my DRRI for it. So last night I went and played my friend's ROV. The Deluxe just blew away the clean channel. Also, the DRRI with a good overdrive pedal sounded way better than the ROV's gain channels. I guess I need to try a Electradyne or a Royal Atlantic. I am actually biased towards Mesa amps and I want to find a Mesa amp. I want a 50/100 watt amp with 2 channels.

Pretty much all the current production Mesas have nice cleans... 8)

Hollis said:

Please don't rule out the Lonestar without trying it! I was only referring to low volume playing as my DRRI is my living room amp that sits off in a place where my wife an no one else can really see it. I never goes above 3 on the volume dial. Definitely check out a Lonestar in person.

Interesting thread.

A Shout Out! to you SonVolt

I am noticing that my Dual Caliber DC-10 has an awesome Clean channel and the reverb is great. The reverb circuit is tube/valve, so that must make it sound superb.

The Clean channel on my Nomad 100 is fabulous as well, but the reverb is not quite as sweet as the DC-10.

Which brings me to the question of: How does the Clean channels of the Nomad 100 and DC-10 stack up against the Lonestar as well as other Mesa models?

Hollis said:

It depends what you want but definitely try out the 27" wide body Electra Dyne combo. 45 / 90watt amp with one channel / 3 footswitchable modes. Basically, you get a clean, a crunch tone, and a high gain lead / rhythm tone. I absolutely LOVE this amp!!

RickyLee said:
Interesting thread.

A Shout Out! to you SonVolt

I am noticing that my Dual Caliber DC-10 has an awesome Clean channel and the reverb is great. The reverb circuit is tube/valve, so that must make it sound superb.

The Clean channel on my Nomad 100 is fabulous as well, but the reverb is not quite as sweet as the DC-10.

Which brings me to the question of: How does the Clean channels of the Nomad 100 and DC-10 stack up against the Lonestar as well as other Mesa models?

Heidi-ho good neighbor

Back