Lonestar Users; should I be one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejay

Reaction score
I currently have a Roadster and while it's the best amp I have ever played I have recently been really into the Lonestar series and seriously consider picking one up. What are your opinions on the amp and which version are you using? I'd prefer to get a head if I could vs a combo. Your thoughts?

Well, if it suits your style of playing/music then go for it. I'm running a head with a 1x12 cab (to keep the weight down). Used to have a Lonestar special combo which was a lovely amp, but glad I made the swap to the classic/head. I have the newer version with the 10w option but to be honest it's not really a big deal if you pick up and older amp without it. The amp also overdrives well with a booster pedal for increasing your options.

I am not familiar with the Roadster aside from the fact that they are very heavy. So are the Lone Star combos. (2x12 is 79 lbs)
We refer to that amp as (affectionately) "The Pig"
That is the reason I purchased a Headshell and unloaded speaker cab to split my combo up. My vote is for the Head over the combo.
It's a great amp,especially for the cleans possible. It does have a Drive channel that I'm just beginning to really appreciate since I'm weaning myself off pedals. LOTS of possibilities there. You can sit down in front of it and tweak for hours and find lots of tones. I bought my Lone Stars because they seem to be crafted with the Blues in mind and that's what I'm all about.
I have found that you can still play the Blues through a Boogie though :wink:
Jim

I think you should at least try them out. The LSC and LSS although similar, are quite different in tone. I'd suggest head and cab due to the weight. Some folks here have used yellow jacket on the LSC (so you can use the el84 power tube) with great result so I'll say the LSC will give you more option. Overall good clean, and the crunch needs to be played around a little but it is good also once you find the your spot. The only thing is the drive is just ok to me, but that's what pedals are for.

thejay said:
I currently have a Roadster and while it's the best amp I have ever played I have recently been really into the Lonestar series and seriously consider picking one up. What are your opinions on the amp and which version are you using? I'd prefer to get a head if I could vs a combo. Your thoughts?
Well, considering your current rig I think that a Lonestar Classic would be a less "drastic" change compared to the Special, which is more vintage-oriented amp.

I play a Lonestar Classic Head + a 2x12 Stiletto cab and I couldn't be happier! You can get a lot of sounds out of this amp, and if you add some pedals your possibilities increase even more. I mainly use the 1st channel paired with a BB Preamp and a Fulltone OCD, so I can go from a fat "fenderish" clean (which I actually don't use, but in case you need this is absolutely brilliant!) to a great overdriven sound, while I use my 2nd channel for higher gain tones.

Hope this helps.

Doesn't the Roadster have the LSC clean ch? Wouldn't that be a step down? I got mine before the Roadster came out and was drooling for a Roadster afterwards. But I decided to stick to the LSC(due to it's clean ch) and use pedals for extra ch's and tones.

I think the Roadster has the Lonestar reverb not the clean channel. Can anyone clarify?

thejay said:
I think the Roadster has the Lonestar reverb not the clean channel. Can anyone clarify?
Yeah I think your right, I just checked the web site.

Latest posts

Back