Lonestar upgrade to Roadster ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I just p/u a Lonestar head (100 watts) for $1600. I love the amp but i noticed the roadster is only around $1900. I've also read that the roadster's channel 1,2 are the same as the lonestar. Has anyone played both amps? If the roaster has the lonestar in it I was thinking of upgrading, now before the 30 days is up. Thanks for any input on this.

Is the markIV lead sound in the roadster? The way i'm reading it, the roadster is lonestar on channel 1 and 2 and recto on channel 3 and 4. I was hopeing there was some mark IV satana lead sound in the head. Anyone?

JamesD said:
From what i understand it is a dual recto voicing with better cleans.

So no lonestar on channel 1 and 2 ? That's a big one for me. I love the lonestar sounds. The recto sounds, are fun to have, but for me the lonestar sound is what I need 99% of the time.

I can't confirm for sure, someone who has a roadster on here should be able to tell you better, i thought that is what i heard though.

I'm having a real hard time trying one of these amps out. I'm going to drive about an hour tomorrow, to try out the road king I.I'm hopeing to get an idea of what the roadster might sound like. All though the road king II and roadster are upgraded on channel 1&2 (according to what I read) and are different then the RKI. I also spoke to the Mgr at GC, and he said that GC is deciding what they will carry from Mesa, in the future. He said there's a good chance it will only be the F series, all others will be special order. It's a bad time to check out Mesa, here in NJ. I really like the Lonestar head I have, but would love to have the extras of the roadster. I have 30 days to figure it out. Thanks for the input on this stuff.

jamme61 said:
Is the markIV lead sound in the roadster? The way i'm reading it, the roadster is lonestar on channel 1 and 2 and recto on channel 3 and 4. I was hopeing there was some mark IV satana lead sound in the head. Anyone?

As i understand it, Carlos has been using both boogie & Dumble amps lately

The circuit board is the same as the RK. The board is modeled after the Lonestar but it is not the exact one.

francric said:
The circuit board is the same as the RK. The board is modeled after the Lonestar but it is not the exact one.

Thanks that's what Mesa said too. They said close but not exact. I have two stores telling me any day for the roadsters.

jamme61 said:
uh .... Satana actual plays something like a Dual Rectifier but it actually a Dual "Lucifier"

RR said:
jamme61 said:
uh .... Satana actual plays something like a Dual Rectifier but it actually a Dual "Lucifier"

And it will have 9 channels... Limbo to Cocytus :D

MetalMatt said:
And it will have 9 channels... Limbo to Cocytus :D
yeah, I think so ...

I know the most optiumum setting (master "I'm your master", volumes, tones etc ...) are done in three's of "6"

example:
"6 6 6, 6 6 6, 6 6 6". :twisted:

Yea, the combo version I played didn't have black shadows in it... All I remember was a pentagram with latin writtin' all over the back of the speaker.

MetalMatt said:
Yea, the combo version I played didn't have black shadows in it... All I remember was a pentagram with latin writtin' all over the back of the speaker.
Oh, you got the upgrade speakers, 'cause the pair I had on my combo had upside down crosses as emblems on the magnet. But I replace them since with the speakers with the goat's head emblem.

I('d) tell you, regardless of my style, this amp was great for Death Metal or Rolling Stones' track "Sympathy for the Devil", I just don't know why. :roll:

Dang it,

Everytime I play this Dual Lucifier amp, I get this carper tunnel where I make a fist but the index finger and the pinky remain pointing out.

jamme61 said:

Considering the Roadster is a simpler RKII, I'd have to say no.

CudBucket said:
jamme61 said:

Considering the Roadster is a simpler RKII, I'd have to say no.

I went with the MKIV. After playing the roadster , IMHO the MKIV lead tone is not in the Roadster.

I tried out the LSS and also the Roadster for a couple hours at my local guitar shops...both are excellent, but obviously very very different amps.

In the end I went for the Roadster. So many options for routing FX, rectifier selection, power selection (50/100W), channel selectable effect loop and reverb level (and a very very nice reverb I might add), four channels, bold/spongy variac switch, and of course the nice liquid overdriven tone that I love so much. Although I really liked the crunchy tones of the LSS, it only got somewhat close to the level of drive I need for a good majority of my tunes. I would have to put an OD pedal in front and I (a) don't want to add anything else to my signal chain and (b) take chances with trying to find an OD that will give me what the Roadster can give me by itself anyway.

I jammed with my band on Friday night and I was really happy with the tones and having 4 channels was also REALLY cool. It passed the acid test.

Back