LoneStar SPECIAL tube options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gplex

Reaction score
It's time to retune the LSS. Any opinions on EL84 tubes?

Thinking of JJ's or TAD's.

Thanks for any advise.

I tried a bunch of new production tubes and I found the JJ's the best for me. They are warm and musical and seem to be fairly robust.

NOS might be fun to try but I haven't gotten around to it.

I have tried both and IMO TAD does it. I like a swanky and harmonic drive with alot of overtones and it gets me there without pedals. the JJs are a bit cleaner, but the TADs feel right. BTW I use tung sol re 12ax7s

Does anybody have any experience with the Electro Harmonix EL84 tubes? I like the rest of there products...

zm4 said:
I have tried both and IMO TAD does it. I like a swanky and harmonic drive with alot of overtones and it gets me there without pedals. the JJs are a bit cleaner, but the TADs feel right. BTW I use tung sol re 12ax7s

I actually love the amp as is, but I wouldnt mind a little stronger bass responce, and a little creamier top end.
For reference I use LP's and no pedals with this amp. My 'clean' tone is gain half way and I use my guitar to clean it up from there. The dirty side I run the gain at 2:00 no drive, thick.

I believe there are a few models of the TAD, which did you try ZM4? Would you say the JJ's have more headroom, therefor tighter bass? Thanks.

What a great little amp.

I believe there are a few models of the TAD, which did you try ZM4? Would you say the JJ's have more headroom, therefor tighter bass?

I have the STR (special tube request) el84's. The JJs do seem to have a bit more headroom, less breakup. all though I think the TAD has a nicer bass responce. But I run my bass low and use the mids to round it out I also use emgs so YMMV.

I have try the El 84 Gold Lion´s ressiues and they sound terrific, but two of them have burn, i guess it was a bad set, now i´m waiting for a Gold Lion´s seller replacement set with JJ´s on my amp, the Gold Lions are addictive but beware with reliabillity, the sound is amazing. JJ´s are very strong tubes and match perfect with the LSS (plug & play) the sound is not much better than the stock ones at least for me but they are a lot more reliable. I have never Try NOS EL 84
About 12aX7 preamps tubes: Fender user amps use to swap to NOS Telefunken to darker a bit the tone of the amp. and LSS user if they want to brigthen the amp it is a good idea to swap to NOS Amperex for those who can afford a high end top class sound, now i´m trying to get my NOS Amperex in Ebay at a good price, :) just my experiences they not to much,
is there more people have try the Gold Lion´s ressiues ??

Gold lions blew out two screen grid resistors on my lss. They will not last long in our amps, I posted obout this topic in Tubes. good luck.

BTW they do sound great until they let go.

zm4 said:
Gold lions blew out two screen grid resistors on my lss. They will not last long in our amps, I posted obout this topic in Tubes. good luck.

BTW they do sound great until they let go.

Thank you! i have take a look at your earlier post, and yes i´m afraid to burn again the Gold Lions, did you know if the optimal voltage operation in tubes el84 on LSS is around 400 volt or 300 volt ??

The GLs are only up to 300v, I think that is way to low for the LSS. Search the tube forum for more input though.
Good Luck

zm4 said:
The GLs are only up to 300v, I think that is way to low for the LSS. Search the tube forum for more input though.
Good Luck
Me too, i have found in Ebay a macthed quad of 7189 Amperex Bugle Boy they run at 400 volts, i will post a review when i give a try to the Amperex, of course i will sell the GL´s without trying them again they are expensive and to risky for those who want to try NOS tube take care of that the most NOS tubes goes at 300 volts

I finnally get the 7189 Buggle Boy NOS Amperex and wow! they brighten the amp and sounds superbs runs at 400 volts and works much better than the stock mesa, JJ´s and GL´s, no cracks no noise and a heaven sound it is a pain there is not too much in the market of this Tubes, Amperex was traditionnally used for brigthen dark sounding amplifier has well Telefunken was used by Fender owners to darker a bit the amps and rest harsheness, it is very probable that a bigger resistor at the Cathode of the LSS could be a ideal solution for the use of NOS tubes has it was for now the voltage is too strong even for the stock tubes, i´m not an expert just my intuition after doing experimentation with tubes

Latest posts

Back