Lonestar Special Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloozman

Reaction score
I have been getting a reverb feedback on my LSS 1x12 combo...seems like whenever I turn the amp up past 7 or so, it starts to feed back...The warranty tech said the tubes are fine, but Im having problems using the amp...I keep the reverb at about half strength, and I dont use an effects loop, although I keep the effects active as to utilize the solo feature...someone suggested that I should keep the "send" knob the same level as the "output" on the front panel...The tech is stumped as I am, and he is going to contact Mesa...can anyone help, as I like the amp, but I cant use it...Thanks in advance for any suggestions

What type of guitar are you using that it feedbacks? Try another guitar first. Its possible your guitar has a feedback resonance point.

Semi-hollow guitars are notorious of feeding back.

it feeds back without any instrument plugged in..I tried 4 different guitars...then I tried it without a guitar....still the same...the only way to stop the feedback is to shut the reverb off.

..great... :(

I wonder if, now that the RK II will have the Lonestar reverb, these problems are going to be all over the board for the Roadkings....?

Sorry to hear about the problem Bloozman I hope you get it worked out... These amps aren't cheap. I imagine you're pretty jacked... :evil:

Did this just start happening, or has it always happened with these settings. I have an LSC, so let me see if I can re-create the problem on my amp. Itwoudl be interesting to see what other LSS owners see.

What power/channel/rectifier settings are you using? Not the EQ, just the switches.

Can't seem to make mine do this. With no guitar, all the way up no feedback. Does it do it on both channels?

it seems to get worse as I crank the amp up to higher volume levels...if I set it a lower levels, it plays fine, but the minute I crank it up, it starts out and then builds till I have to shut it down...if I shut the reverb off, or if I eliminate ther effects loop it stops...I dont use effects but I keep the loop on so I can use the footswitch for solo boost....it seems more prevelant on the clean channel. and if I use the solo boost...look out, it really howls...Thanks for all the help guys..

I've only had mine for 3 wks, I'd love to know if this is a problem I'll be looking at in the future.

jbird said:
RR said:
What about possible microphonic tubes? :?
+1 on the tube(s)

Agreed. The Lonestars use tube reverb (as will the RKII), so it definitely sounds like a microphonic tube on the reverb section. Try switching your preamp tubes around (being very careful to place them back where they originated when you're done), and see if the problem goes away. If not, take it to your amp tech.

OK...I just picked it up from the 3rd trip to the warranty service....Got it home....SAME PROBLEM...Ive noticed 1 thing however..The amp runs fine on the drity channel...I can turn every knob all the way up on the dirty channel, and NO feedback...however the clean channel is the problem...heres my settings on the clean channel...Gain=minimal..Bass 10...treble 3...mid10...presence 4...master 7....output 7...solo 8...send level on effects 7...now...if I turn the reverb up to half wal as I like it...this thing howls like a wolfman!!!...someone tell me what Im doing wrong please!!

The tech replaced the reverb and effect loop tubes, although he felt I didnt need to, but he did it as a precaution...The tech is steamed as well as I am...he isnt too happy with Mesa Boogie!!..neither am I....any help would be appreciated

I just talked to the owner of the store where I bought the LSS...he told me to bring it in on Monday...He said he will fix it even if it means pulling the chassis and sending it back to Mesa Boogie...Thats the 1st piece of good news I have gotten over this whole nightmare, with the exception of the tips from the people in here that is...Thanks again to everyone...Keep your fingers crossed please

Yeah, I was and still is considering a LoneStar Special especially the quartet of EL84 running in "Class A" (please, yes I know the rant if this is true on Class A) -er like AC30 Vox but after reading Harmony Central how many owners as much as they like their LSS, they had their share of problems.
02.gif

I was wondering if this "kinks" are ironed out on these LSS 'cause I assumed these were the first batch that were posted on HC.

Maybe I should look into a Maverick. :?

I've not a problem with mine yet. After this weekend I'll know better, it's going to get a workout. I'll report if it gets squirrely.

I bought a LSS last fall at Guitar Center. It crapped out after 10 days. Farted, then silence. GC gave me a new one no questions asked. I tried to like it , but it didn't have a loud enough clean. It was a tone machine in every respect otherwise. I took the LSS back and tried a Fender Twin for a few months. Great clean, but you could go deaf getting it to breakup. Used a TS9 and it was ok. Not tube breakup. Went back to GC. This time I left with a Lonestar 2x12. This one's a keeper. I have never played a better amp. Clean, loud, jangly, dirty, brown, sweet reverb. This is the amp.

I guess a loud enough clean is up for debate... just curious, what kind of a hall/room was the LSS clean not up to the challenge for?

The LSS got the crap played out of it this weekend, about 7hrs. Fri. and 12 hrs. Sat. I'm involved in a reunion gig (Bloodrock, ZZTop, Creme..) and our lead practiced with it with no pedals. No problems, other than he had to keep asking me for the right knob to adjust. :D I used a Twin with Barber compressor, Barber DD. and volume was not a problem for balance. This guy played with several touring bands in the 70s and 80s and he loved the LSS, he knows his stuff. I kept listening for something, anything wrong, but nothing. Hopefully the squeal is not a generic problem. Excuse me now, while I soak my fingers and rest my carpal tunnel left hand. 8)

Here it is guys...Just heard from the mesa store where I purchased my LSS...They have diagnosed the problem as a bad reverb unit...They are waiting for Mesa to send them an entire new reverb unit...lets keep hoping....Thanks for all your help, and I will keep you all posted

Back