Lonestar or Super Reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyodeath

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering what you guys thought....

I was in GC the other day and played a Fender Super Reverb Reissue and was totally blown away by the sound...just gorgeous, for some reason I liked it more than the other Fenders I've played. It was a 4x10 combo.

I've been looking into getting a LSC for a while now, cause I'm looking for a great clean amp. I haven't gotten the chance to play one though...I live near the Mesa Store so none of the other music stores around here sell them...but the Mesa Store has terrible hours!

But anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think: I'd prefer to get a Mesa because I trust them and love all the extra features their amps carry. I also like that the LSC has a overdrive channel. But will a LSC combo get me that incredible clean sound I heard with the Super Reverb?

I have a VibroKing Custom which is very similar to the SuperReverb. Mine has 3 10's.

I spent a lot of time with the LSS before I bought it and also the LSC, not because I was really going to buy one, but I was curious as to how it stacked up against the VibroKing.

Honestly, if I were buying today I would pick the LSC over the Fender. The LSC can get you the clean headroom of the Fender and can do way more, especially the new LSC's with the 10 Watt setting. You can even get the LSC with 4 X 10" if you want. I used the 2 X 12" for my demo.

Lastly, if you want to personalize the amp with a custom cover and/or grille cloth you can do that with the LSC.

I really son't see a downside to a LSC.

Cool, thanks for the info. I was curious because I really liked the "bright" switch on the SRRI, and from what I can tell the LSC is more or less considered a "dark" sounding amp.

Not sure but I suspect that the LSC can get bright. The tone controls on most Mesa's are very 'touchy' and very interactive. If you get with the LSC again, try taking the treble to say 7 and the bass to 3-4 and the mid where-ever you get the sound right.

Many would say the the classic Fender Blackface sound is best found in the '65 Deluxe which is a very loud 22 watts w/ a single 12".

Depending on how you are going to use the amp, most wattage will not necessarily equate to best sound. There are tons of albums recorded with amps that could not be used (if un-mic'ed) live. The sole reason that I went with the LSS was to get a natural sounding overdriven sound without blasting the neighbors out. 5-15-30 watts gets it done.

There are tons of knowledgeable folks here. If you outline the exact use and features you are looking for, it is likely someone will know about it and have an opinion.

I have both amps, love both amps

a Lonestar will not sound like a Super, and a Super
will not sound like a Lonestar

this obviously justifies buying both :)

a Lehle A/B/Y switcher will be your next best friend

I replaced my Twin with an Express 5:50 2X12 because the cleans were just as good ... plus I got the 5 watt mode, 2 channels, gain, 2 reverbs, contour, etc, etc, etc. Compared side by side the LSC should give you everything the Super does, plus so much more. Both played loud and clean they will sound terrific. But if, like me, you spend any amount of time playing in your basement at low volume, the LSC at 10 watts will sound much better than the Super.

Do not expect a 1X12 LSC to sound as full and open as a 4X10 Super though. At least use a 2X12 or 4X10 LSC.

There is obviously a substantial difference in price between a Super and a LSC. Depending on your needs, you may want to try an Express 5:50, which is $1,199 as 1X12 or $1,299 as 2x12. I didn't need the 100 watts, wanted the 6L6 sound, and don't play metal, so the Express was the perfect match for me.

Good luck ...

from what I can tell the LSC is more or less considered a "dark" sounding amp.

Not sure where that info has been circulating, but I would certainly not call my LSC dark. Not bright either - just neutral. With my strat (1 single coil and 2 humbuckers) I can get too dark or too bright without alot of fuss. I thought of getting a DRRI or a twin reverb, but honestly, without even considering the gain channel on the LSC, its solo feature was enough to tip the scales for me.

thanks for the help guys...i wish i knew more about this stuff, but, being primarily a rock player, i focused more on amps that had great distortion...never really messed around with fenders or got acquainted with what a good clean amp sounds like, so i've spent some time with voxes, champs, and bassmen at the store, and of them all, for some reason, loved the super reverb more than the others.

so, now, i'm just trying to figure out what made me like the tone so much - i didn't even have it past 3 on the dial. wasn't sure if it was the 4x10 format or what.

like i said, i love mesa's stuff and have an ace and tverb that are amazing. plus i've seen used lonestar combos for sale for a couple hundred dollars more than used reissue super reverbs. so, in my mind, if a mesa can cop that kind of sound, i'd rather save up some more and get the mesa.

I have an LSC 2x12 and an LSS 1x12. It's been years since I've owned a Fender but I have played through a bunch in the last year or so.

Super Reverb:
I think the one I played through was relatively new. Did have that great, clean Super sound. Didn't do much beyond that.

Twin Reverb
Also newer. Again, had that big clean Fender sound. Didn't do much beyond that and I didn't like the sound as much as the Super.

Bassman
This is a tweed reissue. Again, very big clean sound; was in music store and didn't take it in back so couldn't crank it to get breakup. Seemed very limited.

So, now for the Lonestars:

LSS 1x12
With casters is easily portable. Looks GREAT. Ch 1 does not have a ton of clean headroom for me at loud volumes but breaks up very naturally and BEAUTIFULLY. Ch 2 is good to but I need to spend more time with it. Very versatile. Re: clean headroom: I have relatively hot pickups in my guitar and tend to run the guitar volume cranked; search on 'lss', 'clean' and you'll find a lot of opinions on how to get max headroom.

LSC 2x12
Big, loud, clean (plus lots of other stuff). If you're looking for something to go up against Super or Twin this is it. Much more versatile; beautiful to look at (especially in previous stock colors; mine is black), 10w feature is great; just a pleasure to own.

So...LSC to go directly against the Fenders; LSS if you're looking for a little more grit and spank at lower volumes; both for bliss:

LSC
Ch 1 - Clean
Ch 2 - High gain lead
LSS
Ch 1 - Natural breakup for rhythm and lead
Ch 2 - Medium gain lead

Just recently got a LSC head . Im blown away by this amp . The cleans are off the charts . I think you would be very happy with a LSC .

You can't go wrong with the he LSC It has got one of the best clean tones period. Plenty of spank sparkle and bounce but never ice-picky. Clean dimensional articulate with a warm shimmer.

I find the newer fenders with maybe the exception of the custom shop models to be almost too clean - a little cold sounding though I suppose with the right speakers these Fenders could sound sweet. I did like the bassman I tried great clean tone.

In the end the LSC is superior and more veratile imo and if you want to play at bedroom levals even with the 50/100 LSC it is possible to get a great tone. Don't try that with a Twin or Super.

l

I used to have a "65 RI twin reverb, and sold it after getting the LSC. Much better cleans imho, better reverb, and more versatile.

Latest posts

Back