lonestar - final questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotspine

Reaction score
ok guys, before I finally commit to a 2x12 classic and having read all the relevant foregoing threads, can I ask the assembled congregation whether anybody here has, for any reason, had any serious misgivings or dissatisfaction with the lonestar that ought to be taken into consideration? This could be either tonewise, mechanical, electrical or whatever ... grateful thanks for any input.

For me has been really good, no problems at all, but I should say that I'm new to the Lonestar Classic 2x12, have had it for a few weeks now, but sometimes even so problems present themselves. Good luck if you decide to buy one of this :)

There are several things I would change but that being said I love my Lonestar Classic. Its a freaking great amp!

Most of my gripes are from things I dont need or use. I dont use the FX Loop. I dont use the Drive Circuit. I dont use the Solo feature. To me all of these are not things I need and would do away with them if I had a chance.

Though all these features are Hard Bypassable so its kinda Mute.

Its the Best amp I've ever had! It does Blackface Cleans with Warmth and Beauty. It does Marshall Crunch better with some good Spank on it. It does Classic Boogie High Cascading Gain Sustain for days to the Nines.

Then you throw in all the features, power, rectifier options, tube options, and you have one BadAss Amplifier.

One of the things that kinda irritates me about the Lonestar is they are considered another Flavor of the Week amp. There are so many new amps out there these days. The Lonestar is a mildstone that has been reached and passed. It is the next step in an evolution to create the ultimate amp. Its features have been really thought out and made to be simple and easy to use. It is a piece of gear that can be easily used to create something that lifts us all to the sky.

Boogie on Boogie!

I have the Lonestar head with the 212 half back cabinet w/ black shadow celestion 90's and I think its a great amp, but I've had several problems with mine. The first came with the amp. The circuits got fried inside and they had to be replaced. The other one is with the cab, maybe this won't be a problem with you since you will be getting the combo, my cab has really bad cone cry when playing at higher levels distorted. It starts at about the 12 postion. It really sucks because you never find yourself playing past that postion because it so unpleasant. My take on the Lonestar is its a very nice sounding amp with some wonderful cleans and warm distorted tones, but it isnt the perfect amp thats for sure. Its got its ups and downs like most other ones out there.

regotheamigo said:
I have the Lonestar head with the 212 half back cabinet w/ black shadow celestion 90's and I think its a great amp, but I've had several problems with mine. The first came with the amp. The circuits got fried inside and they had to be replaced. The other one is with the cab, maybe this won't be a problem with you since you will be getting the combo, my cab has really bad cone cry when playing at higher levels distorted. It starts at about the 12 postion. It really sucks because you never find yourself playing past that postion because it so unpleasant. My take on the Lonestar is its a very nice sounding amp with some wonderful cleans and warm distorted tones, but it isnt the perfect amp thats for sure. Its got its ups and downs like most other ones out there.

"Cone cry" IMO is more a characteristic of Vintage 30's than that of the construction of your cab. I have always wanted to like those speakers since they seem to be the rock standard, but I've never been able to get along with them.

You might want to try one of Celestion's newer neodymium designs, in particular the G12 Century. From what I understand, it has a similar tonal characteristic to a V30 before speaker break-up and can handle MUCH more power (plus it's really, really light weight). I've been thinking about putting a pair of them in a 2x12 of mine for some time now, and I think I just have to do it. :)

I don't understand why people when they have a problem with their amp, cab, speakers... etc. don't just call Boogie and talk with them about it. They want to, and will, try to solve your problem.

I've emailed them, talked with them on the phone, and even been up to the factory a couple of times to have maintenence work done, chat about tones I'm trying to get, or just take a tour of the factory. IMHO people should take more advantage of their great customer service instead of coming onto a message board and dissing them.

Just my 2 cents... Chris

"I don't understand why people when they have a problem with their amp, cab, speakers... etc. don't just call Boogie and talk with them about it. They want to, and will, try to solve your problem"

Trust me Chief I've done all that. I go to there location in Hollywood all the time. According to the Mesa guys, and this is the ones that I have talked with on the phone up were you are, and the dudes in Hollywood is there is nothing that you can do about "cone cry". The guy that I was talking with on the phone at there main headquaters told me that I need to "learn the licks in other parts of the neck"???????????? Are you freakin kidding me? You call that good customer service????????? To be honest with you, I got tired of going in there to try and get the problem solved. Its really like I am just having to polish a terd, which really sucks :( This is with the cab, not the amp. I am just going to have to get another cab thats NOT Mesa.

To answer the other guys question. The cab that I have does not have Vintage 30's in them. They are the Celestion 90's. I tried the 30's out and thought the 90's sounded better all around. They have a way better clean tone, as well as a more rounded fat distortion. :D

Well then that does suck :(

I 'm sorry to here that your experiences with them haven't been very pleasant. You'll definately want to take your rig with you when check out other speakers, you may have a particular lick that brings out the cone cry thing. If that's the case you will probably need to start using EVM12L's.

I'm not sure what kind of music you're playing, but I've been thinking about checking out some Eminence Tonkers. I've heard some good things about those. Although I've also heard the cone cry complaint about some of the Patriot line from Eminence as well. Good luck.

Chris... 8)

The EVM12L is what Mesa used to put in their Mark series amps and were made by Electro Voice. I've got one in my Mark III and I use them in a couple of Thiele cabs for my stereo Triaxis/Simul2:90 rig. They are really accurate and true to the tone of your amp, kind of hi-fi like. No colorization what so ever. Of course that's why some people don't like them, no speaker color in their tone.

EV stopped making them, but I've heard rumors that they are going to start again. You can always find a couple on Ebay though.

Also, Eminence makes a clone called the Delta Pro-12A. I haven't heard it though:
http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/speakpro/del12.htm

Like I said earlier, I'll probably try the Eminence Tonkers because they are easy to get and inexpensive and have a high power rating:
http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/redcoat/tonker.htm

Chris... 8)

I bought my Mesa with the expectation that the amp was going to be reliable, ultra-gig worthy and most importantly, a tone machine. The lonestar (I own a Rectoverb) was the nicest sounding Mesa of the bunch that I tried. If not for the price I would own one today. According to Mike at Mesa, EVERY amp is built with the same quality control, so I wouldn't go into the purchase fearing that the amp will break down. If you like the sound (and you should, it's a great amp) than don't have any other misgivings.

That being said, make sure the gain is enough for you
The reverb works to your liking
The effects loop works with your effects (if applicable)
The weight isn't an issue

Note...it didn't seem to have the outlandish gain of the ROV, although I didn't try very hard to get it to that point

scotspine said:
ok guys, before I finally commit to a 2x12 classic and having read all the relevant foregoing threads, can I ask the assembled congregation whether anybody here has, for any reason, had any serious misgivings or dissatisfaction with the lonestar that ought to be taken into consideration? This could be either tonewise, mechanical, electrical or whatever ... grateful thanks for any input.

thanks for your input so far guys. very helpful. can i add that i'm probably aiming at lowell george primarily tonewise, with the odd venture into hendrix territory. will the lonestar be happy here?

George.....yes.....Hendrix....hmmmm, you can try but Mesa's aren't known for that type of tone. Might have to start with the clean channel and dirty it up with a pedal....

scotspine said:
thanks for your input so far guys. very helpful. can i add that i'm probably aiming at lowell george primarily tonewise, with the odd venture into hendrix territory. will the lonestar be happy here?

have any of you guys tried the Celestion G12H Speakers? That is supposely what Hendrix used as well as Eric Johnson. If these guys are using them than they must be damm good.

I had a rectoverb that I gigged with briefly, maybe 6 times. The amp was a little over the top for the music we play, classic rock. I picked up the Lonestar Classic 2x12 and couldn't be happier. It does the rock easy, it does clean easy and it will do Hendrix easily. It does not have the gain of the rectoverb but I haven't found that to be a problem. I have had no issues with this amp. I think its very versatile and with a little boost from a pedal you could probably get all the gain you want.

I have the 212 classic. Had it for a couple/few months. I really like it, but in hindsight I would have replaced the power tubes with JJs and also V1 & V2. I just did that last night and that dialed the amp in for me.

Just curious, I keep hearing about using JJ's, what do they give you that the stock tubes don't. I've talked with more than one tube store (online) employee that used only Svetlana's (SED Winged 'C')

Lone Star State said:
I have the 212 classic. Had it for a couple/few months. I really like it, but in hindsight I would have replaced the power tubes with JJs and also V1 & V2. I just did that last night and that dialed the amp in for me.

We got the winged c tubes in our store after I bought the JJs.
I may try them some time, but I trust Bob at Eurotubes to provide a dependable product with the JJs. I don't know anything about the QC of the Winged C tubes, and I gotta be able to be somewhat confident in the reliabilty of my tubes while gigging.

Do you notice a difference in tone with the JJ's. Some on this board speak of them as if they are some magic elixir for Mesa amps.

Lone Star State said:
We got the winged c tubes in our store after I bought the JJs.
I may try them some time, but I trust Bob at Eurotubes to provide a dependable product with the JJs. I don't know anything about the QC of the Winged C tubes, and I gotta be able to be somewhat confident in the reliabilty of my tubes while gigging.

Back