Lonestar Classic Models

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimme789

Reaction score
Do all LS Classics have 10/50/100, or are some just 50/100 ?

What are the known issues to watch out for ?

Do they all make a noise ( reverb splash) when switching channels ?

I have a potential trade brewing, but, I now have to do some homewoek.

thanks
Tom

There are two versions of the Lonestar Classic. V1 only has the 50/100 watt options. When this amp originally came out it was blue with a silver grille (of course you could get custom finishes if you wanted). V2 has the 10 watt option and is black w/ black grille (this is what I'm using and is the only difference between these amplifiers I believe). To my knowledge, both of these amps have the reverb splash, something that irked me at first but I've almost completely forgotten about it and when I play with the band, the splash is inaudible. Also, it's not really "noise" that the amp makes when switching channels, if anything it's the absence of noise. The reverb cuts about for a little less than a second when switching. Really, no biggie. As far as the LSC goes, I don't think there are any particular issues to watch out for. I know the Lonestar Special had some issues with things overheating and blowing fuses often but none with the LSC. You might get some tube rattle on the amp at louder volumes but that will happen to just about every combo you can think of. Again, not a major problem, just the nature of combo amps. I've owned a 2x12 combo and now the Head/2x12 cab set up and both have been fantastic amps. Good luck!

Hi gimme789, the newer versions with the 10w switch actually turn the amp into a pure class A, its still class A,B in 50 and 100w modes. Its the only difference I know of but thought it worth mentioning.
When changing from class A to class A,B you get a noticable "pop" but nothing major, ie. if your running say channel 1 in 100 watt mode and channel 2 in 10 watt mode you'll hear it when changing from c2 to c1.

thanks for the info. it is a V1.

do you use the 10W mode much ? in 50W mode, does the amp need
to be turned up loud to get the amp into its sweet spot, do you get nice
touch response out of the tubes if not turned up loud ?

I'm wondering if its too much amp for smaller clubs ...

Never played the amp. Is the clean on a par with a nice clean Fender ?

And finally, what would a fair used price be for a V1 in good condition ?

thank you !!!

Are there any mods to add the 10W option to the V1? Can you send it back to Mesa to do this?

Thanks

gimme789 said:
thanks for the info. it is a V1.

do you use the 10W mode much ? in 50W mode, does the amp need
to be turned up loud to get the amp into its sweet spot, do you get nice
touch response out of the tubes if not turned up loud ?

I'm wondering if its too much amp for smaller clubs ...

Never played the amp. Is the clean on a par with a nice clean Fender ?

And finally, what would a fair used price be for a V1 in good condition ?

thank you !!!

I never use 10w, always on 50w.
Sounds great at low levels. Play small clubs and large venues, sometimes mic'd, generally not.
Some say it's easier to live with than Fender clean.
Can't comment on price unless you're in the UK :)

I love really vintage tones and think the 10w mode is nice for this, just think early ZZ Top! But I dont hear a big difference to be honest, I do use it along with tweed mode and tube rectifers but only for jamming along with a mate or on my own.
I read somewhere (I think it was on here) that the clean tones were like a fender that grew up, seems a nice way to decribe them. maybe not just the same bright chime of a fender but thats the way I like them!
You get some really nice grunt at volume on 50 & 100w but the lonestar really does sound good at all volumes, just need to fine tune your settings. Its simply a really great amp for almost any style of playing.
I havent owned my lonestar for long so this is just what I have found it to be like in the time Ive owned it.

As for a mod for adding a 10w mode, Ive never heard of one and would guess its not an easy job as it changes how the amp works. If it can be done it would probably be cheaper/easier to trade in for a newer one anyway. That said I dont even think having the 10w mode would be worth the cost, I guess you would just have to try one and decide for yourself.

Agree with most of what has been said here. I looked into modding the 10w option into my 50/100, and found that it basically requires a PCB-swap -- not cheap or easy, may as well get another amp. But ultimately, I don't think I miss the 10w setting enough to sweat it. If you can get a good deal on the 50/100, it's a phenomenal amp; if you're paying within ~$200 of new price, I might hold out for a new one anyway just to have the Class A setting to play with. But practically-speaking, I have no problem getting sweet, full sound in quieter venues with the 50w setting... though fiddling with tube configurations (downsizing to 6V6s, for instance) and such will help greatly in that regard.

I have heard one or two rumors that the v.1 LSC sounds better in some way than the v.2, but that's completely unsubstantiated and probably just fodder for loud, argumentative discussion more than anything else.

The reverb thing -- going silent momentarily when switching channels -- irritates some, but it doesn't bother me at all. Better than a loud pop or splash IMHO.

I spent the weekend playing my old Deluxe Reverb, which was a great reminder of how sweet a well-worn blackface Fender sounds; it can have a certain something that is hard to replicate, but the LSC gets you really really close, with the added bonus of real control over your clipping threshold and better mids. Not to mention a bitchin' drive channel. If you like Fenders, you won't regret pulling the trigger on this.

I've had mine for about two years (50/100) and had both speakers blow, but boogie replaced them free. As far as the sweet spot in 50 watt tweed using the 4ohm speaker jack (with 8 ohm load) The amp is a s sweet as they come. Need more bite switch to normal power or 100 watt, but I love the mismatched speaker load.

I own the LSC combo v1 (in black - was custom built for me) with 50/100 and have a Lonestar Classic head (v2) with 10/50/100 and must say that I always use the 100 watt option for more headroom. I get a cleaner tone that way. Just placed EL-34s in my combo and that thing sounds fantastic. Both amps are great!!! Love my Lonestar's. Peace, -G. :wink:

Latest posts

Back