Lonestar Cabinet question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancullinane

Reaction score
I came across this website: http://www.worldguitars.co.uk/new/amps/mesa/
Take a look at the Lonestars in a small cabinet, like a Mark series cabinet. Anyone know anything about these? Is the chassis small enough to fit in a Mark cabinet? Are these available in the US?

the amp chassis is pretty much always the same size. when the lonestar first came out, it was available in a short head configuration. you can basically swap it into any cabinet. the main diff. btw the marks and the lonestar is that the lonestar has a perpindicular faceplate, whereas the marks have an angled faceplate.

I looked into it with Mesa - they said that it weighs a bit less, but you lose some bottom end compared to the Special or Classic combo cabinets. given the amount of bottom end in the Classic, that may not be a problem for you. They also said this is a no cost option if you order the amp in a Mark size cabinet, so don't pay more for it unless they're giving you fancy wood!

I spoke to a Mesa rep about this and he advised that full warm tone that I love about the LSC would be comprimised with the new cab. HE said the speaker configuration in an 'oversized' cab promotes all the features I like.

FTR, here is what I need from an amp and why I got the LSC: clean headroom, full bell-like tone, bright without picky, low mids without mud, controllable preamp gain, slight breakup on a dirty channel...

I was looking into the same thing. I have a 1x12 Lonestar Classic Combo and felt the cab was big and heavy for a 1x12. I was going to rehouse in a Mark sized cab, (at the time they didn't have one). I settled on a Lonestar Special 1x12 cab. It will be almost 4" smaller in width and 1" shorter in height. It should be around 59 lbs instead of 73 lbs. I should get the cab next week, so I will let you know how it turns out.

Jack :D

I did get it direct from Mesa. The cost will vary depending on the covering, or hard wood, etc. Mine was close to $400.....GULP! I got it yesterday and I dropped the C90 speaker, chassis and the reverb unit into it. Fit like a glove. Looks killer too. Played it at practice and it sounded killer. I don't notice any difference or bass loss, (but I didn't have the opportunity to A/B since I don't have an extra Lonestar Classic). The size is much better and around 15lbs lighter.

I got my Lonestar Classic on a deal - used - and was in perfect shape for $925. Adding the price of the cabinet gets it up to $1300. I will sell the Lonestar Classic cabinet, so I hope I can recover around $200 or so. So my final price will be around $1100 which still seems like a good used price for that amp.

Jack

Guitar55 said:
Did you get the cab yet? How is it?

I did get it, (see response above). I think it is great. It is lighter and a bit smaller. I don't hear much difference, (again I don't have another Lonestar in the stock cabinet to do a side by side A/B comparison). I think it is a great cabinet.

My original Lonestar Classic Cabinet is for sale for anyone interested.

Jack

Jack,

Regarding an earlier post of yours, regarding a LSS cab from Mesa, did this have any custom options? Was it the standard brown tolex common to most LSS combos?

I just purchased a used 1x12 LSC combo. While I'm loving the amp, it heavy in both the weight and bass departments. I figure the smaller combo cab would loose some of the excessive bass, and be more portable.

thanks for your time,
Dave

Janglin_Jack said:
I did get it direct from Mesa. The cost will vary depending on the covering, or hard wood, etc. Mine was close to $400.....GULP! I got it yesterday and I dropped the C90 speaker, chassis and the reverb unit into it. Fit like a glove. Looks killer too. Played it at practice and it sounded killer. I don't notice any difference or bass loss, (but I didn't have the opportunity to A/B since I don't have an extra Lonestar Classic). The size is much better and around 15lbs lighter.

I got my Lonestar Classic on a deal - used - and was in perfect shape for $925. Adding the price of the cabinet gets it up to $1300. I will sell the Lonestar Classic cabinet, so I hope I can recover around $200 or so. So my final price will be around $1100 which still seems like a good used price for that amp.

Jack

Can anyone advise me on what combo and head cabs my Lone Star Classic head would fit into? The larger 1x12 combo cabinet is heavy and I think a smaller cab may help clean up some of the excessive low midrange mud. I'd also consider putting the head into a head shell cabinet, and using an extension speaker. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Dave

mammothcave said:
the amp chassis is pretty much always the same size. when the lonestar first came out, it was available in a short head configuration. you can basically swap it into any cabinet. the main diff. btw the marks and the lonestar is that the lonestar has a perpindicular faceplate, whereas the marks have an angled faceplate.

Hey 'davidp158'

I took both routes: I got a LSC head with cabinets (immensely more portable) AND I transferred a LSC Chassis to the smaller LSS Combo Cabinet. As a matter of fact...I got that idea from 'janglin jack' a few years ago.

The smaller LSS Combo Cabinet DOES help somewhat with the lower-mid/bass mud...but checkout my thread for a mid/bass mod:

'Flabby/Muddy' Bass on the Lonestar? Want to change it?'

The mod does more towards bringing it under control than the cabinet swap did. Very easy to do and even easier to undo should you not like it.

I also found that moving the LSC Chassis to the LSS Combo Cabinet seemed to make the UPPER-mids more harsh to my ears with the Mesa/Celestion C-90. I ended up using a Reissue Jensen C12K in it...which surprisingly (to almost everyone) sounds VERY nice.

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for taking time to reply. I will check out your post regarding "flabby/muddy" bass. I realize that a smaller combo cabinet will constrict the tone a bit, but I can probably live with it for the sake of saving some weight and size. Putting the LSC in a head shell is also an option if/when I buy a 1x12 extension cabinet.

As I see other Mesa combo and head cabinets become available from time to time, I'm just wondering if I can only use a LSS combo or head cabinet. I've read the Mark series front panels are angled, and wonder if the LSC could still fit into one of these. A small gap may not be objectionable, as long as everything else (tube clearance, fan, reverb tank) fits well. The footswitch I can stow separately.

Also, are there any cabinet builders who make a combo or head cabinet that would fit the LSC? Mesa build quality is very nice, but a bit pricey ($400 + tax + shipping).

Thanks again for your reply,
Dave

I scored a use LSS 1x12 combo cabinet from a Boogie Board member (thanks Griz!) and did the Reeder mod and cabinet swap this weekend.

The Reeder mod results were as expected, and well worth doing.

The LSS cab doesn't have quite as much "girth" as the original LSC 1x12 combo cab, but I feel the LSC amp tends to be bass heavy anyway. The LSS cab actually tames some of the low mids that were uneven, so this could be a good move. The real test will be to try it at some gigs and see how it fares.

cheers,
Dave

i put my LSC 50/100 into a LSS combo cab along w/a EV classic reissue (200 watts!). The weight diff is negligible, but the tone & portability are improved. i had to relocate the reverb tank to the side of the cabinet, but it worked out pretty well. i''ve got pics of this in another thread somewhere. One thing i've noticed about boogies is that the tone changes w/the environment. My advice to anyone would be to turn it up to performance levels for any testing. My LSC is perfect for me now, low noise, high gain. sweet top, tight bottom end, fairly portable, etc.

peace,

davidp158 said:
I scored a use LSS 1x12 combo cabinet from a Boogie Board member (thanks Griz!) and did the Reeder mod and cabinet swap this weekend.

The Reeder mod results were as expected, and well worth doing.

The LSS cab doesn't have quite as much "girth" as the original LSC 1x12 combo cab, but I feel the LSC amp tends to be bass heavy anyway. The LSS cab actually tames some of the low mids that were uneven, so this could be a good move. The real test will be to try it at some gigs and see how it fares.

cheers,
Dave

Hi, I'm new here. :) I'm also interested in info about any quality cabinet makers. There's a guy on eBay, soursmash who makes cabinets but has not made one for the LSC or LSS yet. He says he can make something very similar. Most of his stuff is for Marshalls. I'm considering doing the first order.

Obviously, you'd have to make sure the builder can make the cabinet fit the chassis well, so you may have to do some extensive measuring. Also, be sure to note any particular items like the reverb tank and fan, so that they will fit inside the cabinet.

I no longer have the email with info, but I recall one builder said he'd make me a head cabinet for my LSC for around $250. Some advantages of a custom cabinet is that you could probably tweak the dimensions to accommodate the reverb tank and fan, storage for the foot pedal, position handles differently, etc. I'm guessing about how much a custom cabinet builder is willing to do here, but I presume if you can pay for it, they'll build it however you want.

You might also try thegearpage.net forum, as I've read some threads about custom cabinets there.

BTW, my original off white/cream LSC 1x12 combo cabinet is for sale. Good condition, cab and casters only (no speaker, reverb tank, or fan).

good luck,
Dave

Kiteboarder said:
Hi, I'm new here. :) I'm also interested in info about any quality cabinet makers. There's a guy on eBay, soursmash who makes cabinets but has not made one for the LSC or LSS yet. He says he can make something very similar. Most of his stuff is for Marshalls. I'm considering doing the first order.

Back