Lonestar 1x12 vs 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luth2000

Reaction score
Just bought a 1x12 combo, but curious what the main difference is between a 1x12 and 2x12 (sound wise).

Thanks,
Luther

I heard on these boards that a 1x12 sounds bigger than a 2x12. Probably due to the speaker having more cab to resonate in than 2x12's crammed into that same cab.

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting about the size of cab and speakers. I picked up my lonestar 1x12 this weekend, and am amazed at how big the sound is coming out of just the one speaker - plenty of tone! I have been playing a marshall dsl 2000 out of a 4x12, and the lonestar sounds just as big, and of course has the mesa tone. I give 1x12 a happy thumbs up!

I probably will try the lonestar through the 4x12 just for fun, but hopefully it will be sold soon.

Luther

plan-x said:
I heard on these boards that a 1x12 sounds bigger than a 2x12. Probably due to the speaker having more cab to resonate in than 2x12's crammed into that same cab.

I seriously doubt that!

Having two speakers makes my 2x12 sound better to my ears.

All a matter of opinion.

I guess the question is, what sounds better about a 2x12? is it more volume, more width, deeper tone, etc. If it is the same amount of power feeding both setups, what is the theoretical plus and minuses of both?

Just doing some casual surfing on this forum, indicates that 2x12 owners worry about the Lonestar being too loud for their home/practice use.

Luther

This is exactly what I was wondering. I cannot seem to find enough information as to which would be loud enough. I do a lot of gigging with many bands in the area, and I need something that will be loud enough to play small-medium gigs and with being able to keep some headroom available. I'd like to go with the 1x12 but if it won't be loud enough, I'll spend the extra $ for the 2x12.

The other option of course would be a 1x12 with another 1x12 extension cabinet that I use for bigger gigs, but once again, i'm not sure how well that will work. I know this amp will sound great, but this is the only thing keeping me from purchasing right now...

I've been playing my 1x12 combo for about three weeks now, and really like the sound. Of course I only have been playing it my home studio. I think if I was in your shoes, I'd get the same combo, and the 1x12 extension cab. Seems like many report better tone with the 1x12, and the ability to play with another cab location etc is appealing to me.

I used to play against a guy with a "double" (2) full stack (1)100w Marshall rig. Yeah I know, what's wrong with that guy. I was able to stay in the mix with my 2x12 Pig, and every one in the band was very impressed with my LSC. I honestly doubt a 1x12 pig could do that.

I don't think it's a case of what sounds better: a Lonestar 1x12 and a 2x12 is the same amp, with the stock Celestion speakers the tone should be effectively identical. In my experience the difference between 1x12 and 2x12 versions of the same amp tends to be in the actual sound projection and perceived volume when you're in front of the amp: a 2x12 cab will move twice as much air as a 1x12.

I've come to the conclusion over the past few years that, for most of my gigging/band requirements, a 30W amp through 2x12 speakers has more than enough power and air-moving capability, and if you're playing outside or in a particularly large venue, you just mic it up. To be honest, most of my gigging requirements would be satisfied by a 1x12, mic'ed up for balance, but I like to have 2x12 just for those gigs when I need to move more air and have greater presence in the band's back line.

Sebber said:
I don't think it's a case of what sounds better: a Lonestar 1x12 and a 2x12 is the same amp, with the stock Celestion speakers the tone should be effectively identical. In my experience the difference between 1x12 and 2x12 versions of the same amp tends to be in the actual sound projection and perceived volume when you're in front of the amp: a 2x12 cab will move twice as much air as a 1x12.

I've come to the conclusion over the past few years that, for most of my gigging/band requirements, a 30W amp through 2x12 speakers has more than enough power and air-moving capability, and if you're playing outside or in a particularly large venue, you just mic it up. To be honest, most of my gigging requirements would be satisfied by a 1x12, mic'ed up for balance, but I like to have 2x12 just for those gigs when I need to move more air and have greater presence in the band's back line.

Unfortunately I'm usually unable to get miked up for most gigs, and thus I'll need an amp that'll be able to be heard well (usually I'm playing lead) and also have some headroom left over. Sounds like the 2x12 is still the better option then?

faithplusone01 said:
Unfortunately I'm usually unable to get miked up for most gigs, and thus I'll need an amp that'll be able to be heard well (usually I'm playing lead) and also have some headroom left over. Sounds like the 2x12 is still the better option then?
Yes, I also unplug one of the speakers from time to time for those situations where I can reap the benefit of the 1x12 tone which is better. So you really can have both. The weight difference is not much of a factor, both are heavy. And for over the top, an ext. cab will give you even more options. :wink:

faithplusone01 said:

I certainly think so, yes, although I'd recommend you go head and cab rather than combo, it's not cheaper but much easier to carry/move around.

Back