Lone Star users please explain the Output and Solo feature

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoTheDo

Reaction score
I'm a lone star newby...and in the process of learning the nuances of this amp....

I've read the manual...but still have questions.

When effect(s) are present in the loop do the output and solo knobs still control levels? How can i use the solo feature as a boost in conjuntion with the FX loop? When I set the loop to hard bypass with no effects present I get no sound is this normal?

When effect(s) are present in the loop do the output and solo knobs still control levels? How can i use the solo feature as a boost in conjuntion with the FX loop? When I set the loop to hard bypass with no effects present I get no sound is this normal?

Yes, the output control adjusts overall output. Solo acts as a boost . I really haven't played much with the boost but I'm almost positive it worked with the effects loop active.

When you bypass the effects loop, your masters might be too low if you are not hearing anything. I cannot remember if the output control is active then. I think it might be but am unsure.

You must have the loop active for the solo to work. It is EXTREMELY usefull. I use it as a lead volume boost. The tone isn't effected, you just get more volume.

dzeitlin said:
You must have the loop active for the solo to work. It is EXTREMELY usefull. I use it as a lead volume boost. The tone isn't effected, you just get more volume.

You mean active as in having something such as a pedal plugged in to the return and send ports of the effects loop?

DoTheDo said:
You mean active as in having something such as a pedal plugged in to the return and send ports of the effects loop?

And having the hard bypass switch on the rear panel set to the LOOP IN position.

In order for the effects loop to be active and the output and solo knobs to function, you must have the toggle switch set to "loop in". "Hard bypass" bypasses the effects loop and the output and solo knobs. In "Hard bypass", the master knobs control output volume. This may be a little late, but hope it helps. :)

Think of the Output and Solo controls as two settings for the same thing: overall volume of the amp. Normally the Output controls this, when you hit the boost on the footswitch you are at the level set by the Solo control.

I've played with this a bunch.

1) you don't need to have anything plugged into the effects jacks to have this work
2) the send level adjustment on the back panel controls the signal sent to the output which is on the front panel.
3) when the FX loop is engaged is the only time the Output and Solo controls are active
4) with the FX engaged the Output becomes a Master Master volume control, of sorts. I just posted a comment on how I use it as an attenuator
5) the Solo is a separate boost which you can use for a kick when you go into a lead break. It is another gain section, but it doesn't seem to add a lot of overdrive, just volume, so it must be later in the signal chain.

Switch the loop on and paly around with it a while. I've grown to rely on it as an attenuator so I can have low volume with saturated tone.

Like I said, the Output and Solo controls give you two seperate settings for the same function which enables the boost.

You can try an experiment: set them at the same level and engage the boost. The sound should be unchanged.

Back