Lone Star Special or 5:25? help me know the differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenGurg

Reaction score
I have owned and LOVED my LSS 2x12 since 2005. Yesterday, I tried out a 5:25 Express and fell in love with it. Both seem to share many similarities. I mainly play in my project studio at home, so I don't need a lost of volume... just that lovely Randall Smitt tone. I like the compactness of tehe 5:25 too. Can anyone share some of the intricacies that will help me decide which to keep or sell?
Thank you.
BTW, I have a Port City head with a G hertigage 12-65 Celestion in it that sounds superb.

Sg

I would keep the LSS and look into pedals for the clean channel for different distortion sounds. I have a LSC so I'm kind of biased. Cheers!

Play them side by side. I think you will find the 5:25 has noticeably more hum than the LSS. It gig levels you wouldn't notice any difference, but at studio levels, it may be a consideration.

The 5:25 is a great amp though, and even better this year with a 1X12.

If you are considering the Express 5:25 definitely get the newer model with the 12" speaker. I tried this new one out last Saturday and the larger speaker is definitely a big improvement over the 10" speaker. Had the 5:25 with the 12" been available when I bought my 5:50 a couple months back, I would of bought the 5:25 instead. Oh well.

Rudee...Hey man , I was thinking of getting a 5:50 to a/b with my LSS. I'm after the cleans and versatility. I was thinking a LSC but I thought just 2 6L6's would be enough headroom at 50 watts for me. Is the blues ch cool? What do you think of the lack of control on the F/X loop? Is that an issue. I was thinking the LSC but I thought I would have more options w/ the 5:50. Plus maybe get out for a little less $, without having two amps , one just louder than the other.
IYO are they good quality cleans ? and ...What do you not like about it?.....thanks man....

CGM said:
Rudee...Hey man , I was thinking of getting a 5:50 to a/b with my LSS. I'm after the cleans and versatility. I was thinking a LSC but I thought just 2 6L6's would be enough headroom at 50 watts for me. Is the blues ch cool? What do you think of the lack of control on the F/X loop? Is that an issue. I was thinking the LSC but I thought I would have more options w/ the 5:50. Plus maybe get out for a little less $, without having two amps , one just louder than the other.
IYO are they good quality cleans ? and ...What do you not like about it?.....thanks man....

The express 5:50 is both clean and versatile. Adjusting the contour control will get you close to lonestar cleans. Great with pedals too! I'd give the 5:50 a whirl with your own gear - pedals included and hear the difference.

Played side by side, the Express 5:25 1x10 combo sounded small and boxy compared to the LSS. The LSS has a shimmer and sparkle that's hard to beat with any amp. It's like an AC-30.

The 5:50 1x12 combo had more of a Fender blackface clean sound and more drive than the LSS. It was what I was looking for and I bought it.

Latest posts

Back