Lone Star Special, Effects Loop Question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
I've been having the volume drop off and sputter on my LSS. I called Customer Service at Mesa and they said to check the Effects Loop. I was using it with the switch on "Loop In" as to use the floor switch. Mesa told me the next time this happens, switch it to "Hard Bypass". I did exactly that, but when I switch to "Hard Bypass" the volume is quit a bit louder. I've tried it several time and the volume really jumps up when I switch from "
Loop In" to "Hard Bypass"

Does your Lone Star Special do the same thing? This doesn't seem right to me. Why would the volume be that much louder on "Hard Bypass"? Going over to "Hard Bypass", I have to re-adjust the EQ settings. It changes the whole sound. I think because it's throwing more gain into the mix.

Res :?

Res, the loop should have a vol knob. turn it up until it matches your hard bypass vol. Also you shouldn't use the loop unless there is something in it ie: chorus, delay, vol. pedal. all OD's go in front of the amp. Also the loop kicks in another pre amp tube hence the change of tone.

plan-x said:
Res, the loop should have a vol knob. turn it up until it matches your hard bypass vol. Also you shouldn't use the loop unless there is something in it ie: chorus, delay, vol. pedal. all OD's go in front of the amp. Also the loop kicks in another pre amp tube hence the change of tone.

I realized after I wrote the post that the "Output Knob" didn't match the volume because it was adjusted lower. Duh!

But as far as not using "loop in" when I'm not using effects? I was told that I should use the "Loop In" all the time because gives you the opportunity to use the "Output and Solo" as final volume level output. I was told this by the person who did the demo at the store where I bought it. He says he uses the same am to gig with all the time.

I also doesn't say not to use it this way in the book

plan-x, I called Customer Service at Mesa and they confirmed what I said. It's perfectly alright to use the LSS without anything plugged into the effects loop and have the switch set to "Loop In". In fact, it's preferable because this allows the use of the Output and Solo knobs to be used in the chain.

I'm supposed to spray contact cleaner on a 1/4" plug and insert it in the "Send" and do the same for the "Return". I was told that if you don't have anything plugged into the effects loop, the contacts inside the "Send and Return" sockets can gunk up. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me, this is a brand new amp. But, I'll give it a try.

Res

Latest posts

Back