Line 6 DL4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
I just bought a DL4....its a bit over the top...or I am an effects dummy. I have never used a delay. What do you guys think of this pedal? Any suggestions on some settings for some standard lead delay sounds. I am about ready to return it.

Thanks

Get the manual, either from your dealer or on the Line 6 website and look at what the knobs do and what the effect of each model is. The DL-4 is a very useful pedal and is probably the only pedal delay I would buy at this point (having owned an AD-9 and played many Boss, Ibanez and Digitech delays).

I have the DL4 and I think it sounds absolutely incredible through the effects loop, so-so through the input. If you only use delay for 1 setting, it's not worth having it. I myself, use all the presets and actually which I could save more. It's a powerful tool to use. I currently use it for slap back (Edge U2 style with the mix/slap back as loud as the initial note itself), Lo Res (very cool phase/atmospheric effect), and last, warm analog delay for leads.

In my personal opinion Boss delays probably sound better through the input whereas the Line 6 modeler units function more like racks that blossom in the effects loop between the preamp and power amp stages.

I would definately agree with groove unless your an fx nut it's probably a bit much you can get a basic delay unit for a 3rd of the price. I've played that unit and it has some nice delays but like most line6 stuff it seems a bit flimsy for 250 bucks if you ask me. I love there auto swell effect though works great for adding texture to a song but price is a big problem for me with line6 I bought that AX212 years ago and they all but abandoned those of us who spent 1200 dollars on the SOB I sold it for 350 and count myself lucky....**** should have bought a Boogie 8)

Now to answer your question Finnster *I'm not to familiar with your unit* but for a lead sound these are the settings I would use. If you have different delay options, like a dual delay or something that lets 2 delays go at the same time use that one. If not, just use the *1st* settings i've listed!

So what I normally like to do is let the first one be a long, and let the other one be shorter,

IMO the...

Longer delay will make your playing sound fuller and it really helps by filling in those solos that don't have much notes flying by. But be careful not to use to much delay because it can just sound mask your playing!!

The shorter delay will sound better with solos that have alot going on/fast playing and when you play songs, listen to live albums and pay attention to some players rhythm section, they might have a short delay to make their playing sound fuller! :roll:

Settings

1st delay time - 580 ms
2nd delay time - 430 ms
-This setting tells you how long it takes the delayed note to activate from the previously played note.

1st feedback - 13 %
2nd feedback - 7%
- Basically, this is the setting that makes the delay repeat.

Frequencies *
- The delayed notes can have their own EQ settings.

Mix - 28%
- Affects the input of the wet signal.

*Now i'm not sure if you have any settings that can alter your delayed frequencies, BUT if you do, this is what I would normally keep them sounding natural to the tone. To do this, you'd have to either sit down and really listen and spend some time tweeking, but since you asked for some settings try looking at your amp settings like Bass, Mid, Treb and then try matching the settings on your amp to the frequency settings on the delay unit...

Hopefully now you know what the settings do and how to go about the effect you have in your head :wink:

Now to wrap this one up , I have some things for EVERYONE :!:
======> LESS IS MORE AND IF YOU'RE PLAYING SUCKS, NO EFFECT WILL CHANGE THAT SO PRACTICE!<======

Good luck with everything man !!

Nick

Latest posts

Back