Limited Edition JP~2C 1x12 Combo!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Doppler

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hello fellow Boogie fanatics! In honor of Dream Theater's 40th Anniversary, and in celebration of John Petucci's 40th year as a Boogie player, Mesa/Boogie just released the Limited Edition JP~2C 1x12 Combo. In this video John and his longtime tech Maddi Schieferstein share the backstory of this amazing amp, the development process behind the key features of the JP~2C, the nuances of the working relationship, and much more...

Too bad it has a C90. EVM12L would have made this a must have for me. It is about time the made it as a combo.
Yo Bandit! I was VERY curious as to how the amp would translate to this form factor with this speaker. It's AWESOME and the speaker does a great job of making that happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the EVMs, but IMHO this was a the C90 was a great choice for this amp:)

Fascinating discussion, great vid... the Mark nerds "Dream" video :LOL: especially enjoyed the presence details and the choices they made with the JP2C overall. Man they get deep into it.

BTW, great, thoughtful questions and directing the conversation and topics.

Last edited:
Fascinating discussion, great vid... the Mark nerds "Dream" video :LOL: especially enjoyed the presence details and the choices they made with the JP2C overall. Man they get deep into it.

BTW, great, thoughtful questions and directing the conversation and topics.
BIG thanks @rarebitusa - the depth of field was simply amazing on the what and why that went into these amps:) And truth be told, if it weren't for the diehard Boogie fanatics like yourself and the peeps on this forum, there would be little point in making this kind of content, so thank you actually. Should be painfully obvious how much fun this was for me and how much I learned in the process as well!

Last edited:
Awesome video, thanks so much for sharing it here!! Just curious, are you or is your channel supported by Mesa/Gibson? You have some great access to these icons!! I followed you since the days of your music theory DVD (great instructional video by the way ) and since you started your gear channel. I was just curious if you have a deeper connection with Mesa recently?

Doesn’t matter either way to me, I love your work and hope you keep it up! Very informative and interesting

Awesome video, thanks so much for sharing it here!! Just curious, are you or is your channel supported by Mesa/Gibson? You have some great access to these icons!! I followed you since the days of your music theory DVD (great instructional video by the way ) and since you started your gear channel. I was just curious if you have a deeper connection with Mesa recently?

Doesn’t matter either way to me, I love your work and hope you keep it up! Very informative and interesting
Hey Mace:) First of all, MANY thanks for the years of support and kind words - ALL appreciated. So I AM a Gibson and Boogie endorser now. So as an artist with a video studio there is a great opportunity for me to support the brand, which is what every brand wants from their endorsers. I bought my first Boogie from the factory in 1980, so this is a life long Tone Mission for me as well. I also have a VERY dear friend who has a collection of AMAZING Boogies, many of which adorn my backline. Since I'm in the S.F. Bay Area I'm also afforded the proximity of being close to the source and sitting to my right are two original Prune Boogies on loan from another dear friend. The various Rectifier and Fillmore gear on the backline is mine and I've been buying up some select pieces for the vocal and instrumental albums I'm working on. Of note are the TransAtlantic 15 for EL84 jangle, and the Rev G Dual Rec which is just iconic. In any case, thanks again - MUCH appreciated ~ Doug:)

@Doug Doppler

Jeez! I didn't realize JP was blowing V30's in the 1x12 cabs live like that! I definitely need to reconsider my life choices LOL!!!
They are rated at 60 watts and with a 7 or 8 string guitar at high volume they will give way from time to time. But John knows a thing or two about Boogie cabs, and there is something special about the Rectifier 1x12s. Hope you didn't think I was beating up on your Mini Recto cab - I have one and I LOVE It. It actually pairs really well with the Rectifier 1x12 with the mini on top for on-axis feedback from the cab. Boogie cabs are the best and they all have a certain magic:)

WinkThey are rated at 60 watts and with a 7 or 8 string guitar at high volume they will give way from time to time. But John knows a thing or two about Boogie cabs, and there is something special about the Rectifier 1x12s. Hope you didn't think I was beating up on your Mini Recto cab - I have one and I LOVE It. It actually pairs really well with the Rectifier 1x12 with the mini on top for on-axis feedback from the cab. Boogie cabs are the best and they all have a certain magic:)

No, I didn't think that at all LOL!!! I may have to get a separate head just for it... ;)

If you run two of the 112 boogie cabs, you would be ok for 100w power use. However, you would need to run at 4 ohms unless you get 16 ohm speakers installed in the small cabinets.

I will have to watch the video to see what is up.

Yo Bandit! I was VERY curious as to how the amp would translate to this form factor with this speaker. It's AWESOME and the speaker does a great job of making that happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the EVMs, but IMHO this was a the C90 was a great choice for this amp:)
I won't disagree with anyone who has preference for the C90. I personally do not have much luck with them. I have had really good results with the EVM12L Classic (currently made in Mexico). That speaker is much closer to the EVM12L Black Shadow that was a stock speaker in a 1988/1989 Simul Class Mark III combo amp. I wish I never sold it. Since then, I was chasing that sound. The JP2C and Mark VII both provide that sonic bliss of the Mark III. It only gets better with the EVM12L Classic or the Black Label version as I have both types. For a single speaker combo amp, the EVM12L does a great job. It is almost equivalent to running a Recto Vertical 212 cab. The JP2C and the Mark VII are tuned just right to sound amazing with the EV speaker. Just like the Mark III combo I had years ago. The Mark IVB and V combo, they were tuned quite differently and did not sound as good as the Mark III, JP2C or Mark VII with the EV speaker.

I won't disagree with anyone who has preference for the C90. I personally do not have much luck with them. I have had really good results with the EVM12L Classic (currently made in Mexico). That speaker is much closer to the EVM12L Black Shadow that was a stock speaker in a 1988/1989 Simul Class Mark III combo amp. I wish I never sold it. Since then, I was chasing that sound. The JP2C and Mark VII both provide that sonic bliss of the Mark III. It only gets better with the EVM12L Classic or the Black Label version as I have both types. For a single speaker combo amp, the EVM12L does a great job. It is almost equivalent to running a Recto Vertical 212 cab. The JP2C and the Mark VII are tuned just right to sound amazing with the EV speaker. Just like the Mark III combo I had years ago. The Mark IVB and V combo, they were tuned quite differently and did not sound as good as the Mark III, JP2C or Mark VII with the EV speaker.
Hey Bandit! Thanks again. So my Mark IIC+ originally came as a combo and I still have the shell. I also have several Thiele cabs here, at least one with the original EV, and I've got some of the Half Back cabs, which I presume you recall from a previous thread. I LOVE the Half Backs, but need to spend some time with the EVMs on their own. Thanks for that, tone chaser:)

but need to spend some time with the EVMs on their own.
would be very interested in that take. (y)

If a small setup is required with a Mark (my case a IIC+ or V:90) then this (not sure what year) EVM 1x12 cab is my first grab and go. I find most physically small cabs or combos actually do sound small, don't own a Thiele, but this just has a huge sound. Much tighter bass response then say the WB 1x12 cab, with alot of low end control and top end sparkle. But it's just a Mark thing cause it wouldn't be a 1st choice with any of the other Mesas.

Attachments

• EVM_1.jpg
    EVM_1.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6481.JPG
    IMG_6481.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 0
This is still a cool thing to see. After I got my first Mark VII head and compared it to the JP2C, thought that Mesa could possibly offer the JP2C as a combo as well since the chassis is basically the same. Takes me back to the good old days seeing they managed to do this. I see it is roughly 59lbs. That is not so bad.

Will be interesting to hear some clips.

would be very interested in that take. (y)

If a small setup is required with a Mark (my case a IIC+ or V:90) then this (not sure what year) EVM 1x12 cab is my first grab and go. I find most physically small cabs or combos actually do sound small, don't own a Thiele, but this just has a huge sound. Much tighter bass response then say the WB 1x12 cab, with alot of low end control and top end sparkle. But it's just a Mark thing cause it wouldn't be a 1st choice with any of the other Mesas.
You need to get the 200W thiele. Since you are in boogie central for used gear it should be easy to snag one.

I personally think the 19" singles suck, ymmv, but the 12L open is like not having a box. The TL806 designed for the 12L and used by Mesa will amaze you if you've not tried it. It's like panning out to get the full audio picture.

Latest posts

Back