Liking EL34s much more but what is best brand?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
I put Electro Harmonix EL 34s in my amp and really prefer them.
The clean ch. is excellent ( I see no loss at all) and the dirt sounds are richer (in my mind) but what is the best sounding type of EL 34s? Is there a "best"?

In the Mark V, I have tried Mesa STR 447s, JJs, and SED Winged Cs. The SEDs are better than the JJs, which are better than the Mesas, IMO. I think you'll find a lot of love for SEDs around here.

A related query to all of you have tried various tube brands in your MkV's... (sorry for hijacking the thread)

Did you also install a bias trimmer? Or are you just running those non-Mesa tubes without biasing them at all?

I would love to try some of the suggested EL34 types (JJ, SED) in my MkV but I do not want to mod my Mark V (i.e., install a bias trim pot). Will it be just waste of money to buy those tubes if I can't bias anything?

I didn't install a bias pot.

Most dealers can send you tubes that will bias properly at Mesa's fixed bias.

I guess I am going to have to experiment and try some SEDs. The Electro Harmonix will be great spares.
It DOES sound killer with the EH though.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Most dealers can send you tubes that will bias properly at Mesa's fixed bias.

What he said. Just tell them it's for a Mesa and they'll sort you out. I normally use http://www.thetubestore.com, but there's other options available.

That, and Mesa seems to have set the Mark V's EL34 bias to be rather hot to begin with, so it seems that the normal cold bias issues with Boogies isn't an issue with this amp.

rmcfee said:
I guess I am going to have to experiment and try some SEDs. The Electro Harmonix will be great spares.
It DOES sound killer with the EH though.

EHX are what I'm running in my Mark V and I have no complaints. I have SEDs in my Recto and zero complaints there either.

The only ones I have tried are Tung Sol EL34b's and I really like them. The smoothed out the top end on CH3 (I found it somewhat harsh and the shrill) over the stock 6L6's. They really shine on CH2 though. I did notice a bit of lose on CH1 but nothing significant - CH1 went from a 10 to a 9.2.

Back