Let's talk Metal Zone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodwhore

Reaction score
Alright so I've seen a few posts about different pedals ran in front of a dual/triple rec, usually just for that extra kick in the teeth, but is anyone using a MT-2 Metal Zone? Don't get me wrong, the triple rectifier has plenty of gain and sounds amazing on its own but I'm curious. Specifically a Robert Keely modded Metal Zone. From what I've heard those are specifically modded with the triple rectifier in mind and I was wondering if anyone's using it. Usually the best settings used out of it are cutting the distortion out and just using it for boost. I figured I'd see it a lot more because it's practically advertising itself for the triple rectifier. Any thoughts?

I've been wanting to dust of my MT-2 and put in front on my Dual Rec to try it out. I know Cannibal Corpse's Pat O'Brien uses the Keely modded MT-2 with a Triple Rec and Rob Barrett uses the MT-2 with a Dual Rec. Not sure if Barrett's is the Keely modified MT-2 or not.

I saw these settings from another site Cannibal Corpse and how they are using the pedal. They use it as an EQ boost in front. The pedal settings are: Level "MAX", all EQ settings at "10 o'clock", Distortion "MIN". This is also with guitars equipped with EMG 81s and cabinets with Vintage 30s.

I don't know who else using the MT-2 in front a Dual/Triple, but it's been I've wanted to try and get that CC tone since I've gotten my Dual Rec. I think I'll give it a try tonight.

2Below said:
I've been wanting to dust of my MT-2 and put in front on my Dual Rec to try it out. I know Cannibal Corpse's Pat O'Brien uses the Keely modded MT-2 with a Triple Rec and Rob Barrett uses the MT-2 with a Dual Rec. Not sure if Barrett's is the Keely modified MT-2 or not.

I saw these settings from another site Cannibal Corpse and how they are using the pedal. They use it as an EQ boost in front. The pedal settings are: Level "MAX", all EQ settings at "10 o'clock", Distortion "MIN". This is also with guitars equipped with EMG 81s and cabinets with Vintage 30s.

I don't know who else using the MT-2 in front a Dual/Triple, but it's been I've wanted to try and get that CC tone since I've gotten my Dual Rec. I think I'll give it a try tonight.

Dude my goal is to figure out how the hell they got the sound for Evisceration Plague. That's one of my favorite guitar tones. Let me know if you have any luck with it though :)

Well, I gave it a try and recorded two samples. One with the MT-2 and one without. My setup is this Ibanez MBM2 (w/EMG 81) ---->Boss MT-2---->Mesa Dual Rec Reborn---->Mesa 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s---->Shure SM57---->Tascam 414 MKII---->Audiophile 2496 interface card---->Reaper DAW. No effects were applied in Reaper.

I used Channel 3 set on Modern @ 50W setting. Presence "11 o'clock", Master "10 o'clock", Gain "3 o'clock", Bass "noon", Mid "9 o'clock", Treble "noon".
The pedal settings are: Level "MAX", all EQ settings at "10 o'clock", Distortion "MIN"

Here are the sample links. I did it pretty quick, and didn't place the mic perfectly. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what an unmodded MT-2 would sound like.

Without the Boss MT-2:
https://soundcloud.com/2below/boogie-without-mt-2

With the Boss MT-2:
https://soundcloud.com/2below/boogie-with-mt-2

Here's a youtube clip I found with Rob Barrett from their most recent tour. Looks like he is no longer using the MT-2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQ_szQd1rQ

@ 2Below

The sample with the Metal Zone has "Boss sauce" all over it...
The sample without the pedal sounds like Obituary! Very cool man.

I think the guys in CC play with EVM12L speakers btw.

@ Bloodwhore
Buy (or DIY) a tubescreamer. This is what you want based on your first post here.
I have build a TS808 clone (for about 35 USD) and it sounds amazing with my triple. Tight bass, aggressive and very responsive to my pickups (passives).
Since I build it myself it has no buffers, true bypass, high quality components, no PCB's and is hand build :)

Gnarkill3k6 said:
@ 2Below

The sample with the Metal Zone has "Boss sauce" all over it...
The sample without the pedal sounds like Obituary! Very cool man.

I may be showing my age here, but I actually had to look up "Boss sauce" on Urban Dictionary...still not sure if it's a good thing or not :lol: Thanks for listening and commenting! Obituary!!!! :twisted:

I also have a Tubescreamer TS-9 and to be honest it sounds very very similar to the MT-2. The MT-2 just gives it that litte more someting. I also have a Fulltone OCD pedal and tried that for more of the CC tone and it didn't cut it. But it sounds great on the Orange channel on the Vintage setting with my Jackson Dinky with a Duncan TB-4 in the bridge.

Rob Barrett's amp settings are Diode, Bold, Gain-dimed, Bass, Treble, and Presence 1:00, Mids-11:00, Master is set according to the need at venue. His amp has been set this way the four times I have seen them live.

I used to run my amp the same way with a Metalzone, but while even with the gain on the pedal "off", I was still getting some of that wasp swarm in a tin can in my sound that is inherent with the MT2, that grated on my ears after a while. Going with an OD808 in the front with gain at 9:00 and output at 3:00, with a flat eq, to me actually a more brutal mix using the same amp settings.

Yes Dimed is maxed out. The term comes from when people would use numeric values to describe their settings like on a Marshall or Fender, etc.. amp. In the States we have a coin for $.10USD called a dime. So if you set a particular amp setting all the way at "10" the slang evolved into "dimed, diming, etc... Not sure who started the term. First place I heard it was from an interview with Eddie Van Halen on his amp settings back in the 80's

On the flipside, the first place I heard of using the O'Clock way to describe an amp setting started with the Dual/triple Rectifier amps on this board.

Thanks guys, that makes sense :wink:
My buddies and I say (in the Netherlands); Gain is at about 3 quarters. Or; Gain is at about 7 or 8 (on a scale from 0 to 11. Yeah, we are nerds :cry: ).

I'm sorry, but maybe Im the only one who thinks a Metal Zone sounds NOTHING like a TS-9?

Yesterday I tried my old MetalZone in front of my Triple rec... did not like :lol:
Even with gain at 0 it has fizz and grain (no typo).

What I heard is that the pedal compresses the amp a lot! Maybe that is good for some guys to cut trough the (extreme-voilent-brutal-death-metal) mix. But a TubeScreamer-like pedal is better IMHO.

But YMMV of course.

bjorn218 said:
Rob Barrett's amp settings are Diode, Bold, Gain-dimed, Bass, Treble, and Presence 1:00, Mids-11:00, Master is set according to the need at venue. His amp has been set this way the four times I have seen them live.

I used to run my amp the same way with a Metalzone, but while even with the gain on the pedal "off", I was still getting some of that wasp swarm in a tin can in my sound that is inherent with the MT2, that grated on my ears after a while. Going with an OD808 in the front with gain at 9:00 and output at 3:00, with a flat eq, to me actually a more brutal mix using the same amp settings.

You've played with the gain all the way up? I've never turned it past maybe 3 o'clock, how long would your tubes last doing that? I've been dying to really crank up the gain just to see how hard I can push it but the manual scared me out of it. I'm guessing you'd say it's safe to at least try it out?

bloodwhore said:
bjorn218 said:

You've played with the gain all the way up? I've never turned it past maybe 3 o'clock, how long would your tubes last doing that? I've been dying to really crank up the gain just to see how hard I can push it but the manual scared me out of it. I'm guessing you'd say it's safe to at least try it out?

Yeah man, the manual scared me too in doing that... I wonder if it really does damage... or that it just doesn't sound that good. I mean, why would Mesa retail potential self-destructing products?

bloodwhore said:
Alright so I've seen a few posts about different pedals ran in front of a dual/triple rec, usually just for that extra kick in the teeth, but is anyone using a MT-2 Metal Zone? Don't get me wrong, the triple rectifier has plenty of gain and sounds amazing on its own but I'm curious. Specifically a Robert Keely modded Metal Zone. From what I've heard those are specifically modded with the triple rectifier in mind and I was wondering if anyone's using it. Usually the best settings used out of it are cutting the distortion out and just using it for boost. I figured I'd see it a lot more because it's practically advertising itself for the triple rectifier. Any thoughts?

I had a Keeley modded MT-2 at one point. IMO it sounded like a louder MT-2 with more bass. I think the wording on the advertisement is more to imply that the Keeley MT-2 will make your amplifier sound LIKE a triple rectifier. If you want a good boost for a recto, start with your run-of-the-mill overdrive/tubescreamer type pedal (even the Boss SD-1 is a great start).

Metal zone sounds like beez in a jar. Horrible especially in the mix with a band ( unless you like sounding totally digital and thin or boomy).

Ts9 - drive off or barely on / tone @ noon or 11 / level maxed = sex.

Yeah the metalzone is horrid when used as a distortion pedal. It does however sound interesting as a boost through a tube amp. Used as a dist. Pedal and you sound like Deicide. Thin and ghey guitar buzziness.

Latest posts

Back