Let's rate the AMPS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Machine Gun said:
zekmoe wrote:
[10 - remains to be made. I might vote of for a stilleto Ace half stack in some cool color just for it's vibe.
9 - Lonestar Special - great small gig, classic tone machine
8 - 100 Watt, 2 channel Dual Recto - Unique hard rock/nu metal king
7 - Mk 1 reissue
7 Stilleto Version 2 --all better now. one more for the Ace combo.
4 - Stilletto Version 1 -hard mids to me
0 -MkIV -worst of the bunch by far. Lifeless and solid state sounding. Nothing tube about it.
e]

I think many will highly disagree with you here. I had a Mark IV and it was simply the best amp I ever owned for sound and versatility. VERY tube sounding and full of life. I've had solid state and I'm sorry but the Mark IV certainly wasn't that!!!! Never had to run an OD in front of it to tighten it up either! It doesn't need anything else to sound absolutely awesome!

And that is exactly why I will be getting another one when the funds are there!

I see you have a PRS Custom 22 AP on order . Mines been on order since 2/27/06 . Saw the rep at the NAMM show and he gave me an ETA of August 07 . 18 months . My hold up is the quilt top I ordered for it . If you did the same you will be waiting . If yours is a flame top you probably will get it before long .

Hey Barry, mine is the flame top. Sorry to hear you'll be waiting so long. Did the rep tell you of anymore hold-up issues or was it just the quilt tops?

ytse_jam said:
Living_justice said:
No clipping on or bad boys tho a.
i'm really sorry, but this time i don't understand what you're saying, my poor english has reached its limit! could you explain it to me with simpler words?thanks

:lol:

Dont worry ytse_jam I am from England and now live in N.America, my English is fine, and I cant understand what hes saying either, I will attempt to translate his thick northwestern twang for you though.

Living_justice said:
Translation said:
There is no clipping on our Mark IV's compared to the rectos is there now.

ytse_jam said:
you can not objectively say that mark IV is better than roadster. Mark lovers would prefer mark IV, recto lovers would prefer the roadster. They have a different tone and feeling.

I in essence have both, albeit a RK II, and a Mark IV....if I could only have one it would be a tough decision, but may have to go with the Mark IV -- but only because of the form factor and weight

......although I would be missing those wonderful cleans in the RK II. Now had this poll been posted a year ago (Pre RK II), then it would be the Mark IV by a mile

David.W said:
ytse_jam said:
Living_justice said:
i'm really sorry, but this time i don't understand what you're saying, my poor english has reached its limit! could you explain it to me with simpler words?thanks

Dont worry ytse_jam I am from England and now live in N.America, my English is fine, and I cant understand what hes saying either, I will attempt to translate his thick northwestern twang for you though.

Living_justice said:
Translation said:
There is no clipping on our Mark IV's compared to the rectos is there now.

thanks david! :D still not get it though :oops: :D :oops: :(

JAZZGEAR said:
ytse_jam said:
you can not objectively say that mark IV is better than roadster. Mark lovers would prefer mark IV, recto lovers would prefer the roadster. They have a different tone and feeling.

I in essence have both, albeit a RK II, and a Mark IV....if I could only have one it would be a tough decision, but may have to go with the Mark IV -- but only because of the form factor and weight

......although I would be missing those wonderful cleans in the RK II. Now had this poll been posted a year ago (Pre RK II), then it would be the Mark IV by a mile
have you ever tried a RK I? how are the cleans compared to markIV's ones?

Machine Gun said:
Hey Barry, mine is the flame top. Sorry to hear you'll be waiting so long. Did the rep tell you of anymore hold-up issues or was it just the quilt tops?

Its the quilt thats the hold up . Shortage of that type of wood . Just to let you know . They arent even offering any AP quilt for 2007 . I guess they are going to try to catch up and fill all the orders they currently have . I guess Im lucky i got mine in but probably a long wait . Your rep should have an ETA on your guitar .

*clutches his quilted 10 top PRS Custom 22*

Sorry to hear about the wait Barry, it will be worth it!!!!

can i ask a question, why did mesa release the roadsters and kings with thos problems? dont make sense, also with the price tag. sorry fella mark amps dont have clipping problems, init fella, nice work dav on the tran. :lol: but you got the location wrong, south wales.

Platypus said:
*clutches his quilted 10 top PRS Custom 22*

Sorry to hear about the wait Barry, it will be worth it!!!!

I would love to see a pic of your PRS . The mesa booth at NAMM was really nice and I had lots of time with the Stiletto Deuce stage II . Im going for it sometime in the not too distant future . May get the new ostrich embossed leather . Very cool looking . I had ameeting with Randall Smith because ive been a long time user (27 years ) Very gracious man . Said some nice things to me .

Living_justice said:
can i ask a question, why did mesa release the roadsters and kings with thos problems? dont make sense, also with the price tag. sorry fella mark amps dont have clipping problems, init fella, nice work dav on the tran. :lol: but you got the location wrong, south wales.
I don't have a chance to compare the amps which is why I started the thread, so you believe Mesa has stuffed up with the new RKs and Roadsters?
I don't seem to have any probs with my Roadster and not sure what you mean by the Clipping problems you speak of, but then again as I said I don't have a MkIv to compare with.
Does anyone agree with this guy?

I'm not sure about the problems your talking about. The foot switch popping? that is not a problem with me, it does it once and its done. So I don't quite agree.

I have played a Mark 4 and I really enjoyed playing it but I can't find the cash right now to get one. So I'm looking for a cheaper alternative studio or quad preamp(s).

It simply comes down to having the best clean tone,
first & foremost, in my book...
as the distortion/overdrive capabilities
of a Mesa have always been stellar...

Having owned many different Mesa's throughout
the years... I've always been disappointed with
the clean tones available. In fact, this has lead
me to sell all of those Boogies ...

That is until the Lonestar Classic
(note: not the Lonestar Special for my purposes,
as this is not my idea of a clean amp...
though it is still a great sounding amp! )

Thus the Lonestar Classic is in the #1 spot..

Latest posts

Back